Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Planning 60 Hour C4 Road Trip of a lifetime. Advice Requested.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 02:21 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Planning 60 Hour C4 Road Trip of a lifetime. Advice Requested.

As I posted before, the Mrs. wants to take the Vette to Las Vegas. There's a trade show and 4 day training session I would like to attend next month. Was going to fly, but she convinced me. Southerly Route through Texas from Cincy.

Handy with the tools and I've got them all.. A bunch are going with me in a suitcase, along with fluids, etc. All the basic stuff. Signing up for an AAA membership.

Any advice?

Other things to take? Other considerations?

I've never done anything even remotely like this before, so if you start to type something and think: "Nah.. That's stupid. I won't mention that." Go ahead and type it.. Because I really don't know. It's all uncharted territory for me.

Questions:

Good hotels on the strip with smoking (vaping) and a balcony?

Anybody use a dashcam? You like it?

Radar Detector even worth considering at this point?

Should I put a GPS on the car?

Other Thoughts?

Last edited by confab; 09-17-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:03 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts
Default c4 adventure

Whenever I change out a belt I put the one I took off in the trunk. If I should have the misfortune to break one I won't have to wait for a replacement from who knows where.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:10 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

I am jealous! I think this is a great idea.

How important is the schedule? If you have an issue on the road how big a deal is it if you are a day behind either going down or coming back? If it's all flexible I say hit the road and have a ball! AAA is great and will have your back.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:13 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ls777z
Whenever I change out a belt I put the one I took off in the trunk. If I should have the misfortune to break one I won't have to wait for a replacement from who knows where.
Good idea.. It's new, but I'll throw one in the back anyway.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Silver85
I am jealous! I think this is a great idea.
I think it's A TERRIBLE IDEA!!!!!! lol..

Holy crap, we're going to die in the desert!

But, the Mrs talked me into it anyway. So, we're going.

How important is the schedule? If you have an issue on the road how big a deal is it if you are a day behind either going down or coming back? If it's all flexible I say hit the road and have a ball! AAA is great and will have your back.
It's really not. I can skip the whole thing if I want, but I do want (and probably need) to go, so I plan to.

Three days allotted for travel each way, so it's not too rushed.

Last edited by confab; 09-17-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:34 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

As I posted before, the Mrs. wants to take the Vette to Las Vegas. There's a trade show and 4 day training session I would like to attend next month. Was going to fly, but she convinced me. Southerly Route through Texas from Cincy.

Handy with the tools and I've got them all.. A bunch are going with me in a suitcase, along with fluids, etc. All the basic stuff. Signing up for an AAA membership.

Any advice? Long trip, almost 2k each way. You can probably make it in three, four or five would be better, each way. Start early, break up the day, don't drive at night.

Other things to take? Other considerations? I would take a plug kit and small compressor. Change oil before you leave.

I've never done anything even remotely like this before, so if you start to type something and think: "Nah.. That's stupid. I won't mention that." Go ahead and type it.. Because I really don't know. It's all uncharted territory for me.

Questions:

Good hotels on the strip with smoking (vaping) and a balcony? You probably want to be close to the meeting. Lotsa bargins on room but mostly during the week. Maybe consider Fremont Street.

Anybody use a dashcam? You like it?

Radar Detector even worth considering at this point? Not really, I just drive five over and relax.

Should I put a GPS on the car? Fer sure. A lifesaver in a strange city and they are cheap. I like Garmin.

Other Thoughts? Harrahs has a car collection

The following users liked this post:
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Screw the GPS, use a smartphone (IMO) less clutter for the passenger area. Unless you don't have one, in which case I would advise. Probably the most indispensable tool you could own in life.

Two things I think of when going on long trips:

Need to have good cupholders for Coffee, energy drinks, water etc

Radio. Gotta have tunes.

Have fun in Vegas! Was there earlier this year. Went to Fremont street and when I was there I was surprised they told me not to wander too far south of Fremont, apparently it becomes dangerous.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 06:49 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Back in 2003, I took my '92 from my home in WA to Bowling Green for the 50th Anniversary celebration and back. The total mileage was 6600 miles done in 11 driving days. Pretty much I-80 to St. Louis and from there to Bowling Green. Came back going thru Memphis, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Vegas, Reno and home. The group I was with decided to do about 350-400 miles per day so that made it easy with food/rest stops.

When I got the car ready, I checked the tires, oil change, checked coolant level and had a pressure test done. I decided to buy a new battery as the one in the car was 11 years old and was the original. I also installed new plugs and wires, new air filter and did a brake fluid flush. Pads and rotors were OK.

The car ran great with no issues at all. Pretty much cruised at the posted speed limits but did manage to get into triple digits in every state we went thru. Again, no problems.

Just make sure the car is in good shape and check fluids at gas stops or in the morning. You may find the trip more enjoyable if you don't drive too long each day. I had planned out the overnight stops and used AAA to make motel reservations. I made sure that the places we stayed had laundry facilities so that helped with keeping the luggage load down. With a cell phone, credit cards for gas, food, accommodations, you should be set. Pandora for road music, maybe Sirius/XM if you have it. Keep an eye on weather and road conditions.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 07:08 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Take a drive through Red Rock Canyon and/or Valley of Fire.
Check out the Imperial Auto Collection. Free coupons on line.
Find the Cars & Coffee.
Tour: Counts Customs, WelderUp, Shelby Heritage Center
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 07:18 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Advice from the true masters of the road trip...

confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

AAA Used to offer trip planning back be for nav systems. They still may. figure out how far you want to drive per day. Never made that drive for stuff to see. I look for all the "World's largest ____" and turn. With me better wear a seat belt....panic stop and turn is possible...lol. I would have a contact person and let them know when you leave and where you plan to stop at least at the end of the day. If you are over due they can send search party.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Sounds like fun ... enjoy

If you don't already have a fire extinguisher in the Vette, get one.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Make sure to visit Counts Kustoms . the showroom is located behind Circus Circus across the tracks.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:42 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I would bring a good atlas, plug kit and mini compressor, a gallon of antifreeze/water, a few qts of oil, spare fuses and basic tools.
Road trips are tons of fun, by the end of it you will either be single or have had a great time.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 AM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have taken a fair number of trips like this that have specific destination so I tend to follow a preplanned route that is quickest, has gas food etc along the way. I always leave room for an unplanned stop here or there , because they can sometimes make the trip. Two years ago I didn't do that and really wished I had. We were driving north from Sedona to Flagstaff and when we got there I said, hey Winslow Az is only an hour east of here, what do you think? We made excuses and yada yada yada we didn't go. My point I guess, if there is one or two places you want to see and it won't kill your trip do because you never know if and when you will get back there. Safe travels.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:53 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Two things:

1) How is your cooling system? Radiator and Water pump.

2) How are your tires? Condition, pressure.......AGE!

Coming from someone who did a 5k mi, 9 day trip this summer in a C4 (twice through deserts) the number one issue I seen that sidelined cars was blown tires.

I'd also change your oil and use Mobil 1 0w-40 as a side note.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Cjunkie; 09-18-2017 at 07:55 AM.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Agree wholeheartedly with cooling system and tires recommendations. My travel necessaries include: music, cell phone, credit card, AAA card. Also, I carry 2 flashlights - 1 big mother and one small pocket/arm rest sized and a good knife. I never know why I'm going to need a knife, but I often do. I also carry a small cleaning kit (how OCD is that?). Half a dozen microfibers, quick detail, bug & tar remover, car duster, water blade. I'm addicted to coffee, so Starbucks Via and caffeine supplements go with me as well. Some Via can be dumped into crappy road coffee and make it good. I love road trips.

Last edited by car addict; 09-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

As others have mentioned, tires would be my biggest concern. If you still have the original size tires (255/50-16's) you're going to find it difficult to get replacements in most places. You might check with one of the major distributors (Tire Rack, etc.) and see how difficult it might be to get a replacement to you at various places along the way.

Once Goodyear stopped offering a 255/50-16, I bought a set of GS wheels and switched to 17's on my '85. The original Goodyears only have 8k on them, but they were so hard, the car felt like it was on ice if I was the least bit aggressive with throttle application.

By the way, the spare tire is a good location to store spare belts/hoses as well.

The trip sounds like fun, I've done a dozen trans continental trips over the years and always enjoyed them. Well at least the ones where time wasn't a factor.

Good luck... GUSTO
confab (09-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Planning 60 Hour C4 Road Trip of a lifetime. Advice Requested.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Check your coolant level and replace the radiator cap. Passenger navigates with a smart phone. Stop at those weird roadside attractions and have a lot of fun.
confab (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:27 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Two things:

1) How is your cooling system? Radiator and Water pump.

2) How are your tires? Condition, pressure.......AGE!
New, new and new. Engine is overhauled. Trans is new. Tires were new last year I think? Barely used.

There's a lot of good advice on this thread. Things I didn't think about. Thanks to all who chimed in to help.

After reading IHBD's experience with the spare, I may do something with the tires anyway.

AAA premium membership secured and a room is booked at the Rio.

Looks like we're going.

Thanks again, all.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:42 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Safe travels !

Quick Reply: Planning 60 Hour C4 Road Trip of a lifetime. Advice Requested.