VanBortel, Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Default VanBortel, Watkins Glen

VanBortel Chevy were I ordered my 17 GS did a Fun Laps and lunch for a charity at Watkins Glen Track. It was a GREAT time. There was about 45 Corvette's for the drive from VanBortel to the Watkins Glen track were we did 4 laps around track and had lunch in the Watkins Glen Club. There was a lot of GREAT looking Corvette's many different C series and I got to meet a lot of Great people many from Rochester Corvette Club. Even though there was no passing or real competitive driving It was a blast for me being my first time on a road course. It was fun giving my GS a little juice and having her hug going in and out of curves.Here are some pictures. I did use PDR and have a great recording but it picked up mine and my buddies voices talking. So if / when I figure out how to delete audio from video I will update and add video. Thanks VanBortel for doing this I'm ready to sign up for next year! Dave
Attached Images           

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 09-18-2017 at 08:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
proexpert (09-18-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 07:41 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Great pics! VanBortel is a class A dealership. The Corvette showroom is amazing and their people are all great to work with. I've been to every Chevy dealer in the area and none are like them. To be honest I don't even know how the other Vette dealerships stay in business with them around.

Watkins is an awesome track and driving your car there is quite an experience. Now you need to get down their at speed. Come on down this Fri, Sat or Sunday to Watkins. I'll be down there with NASA. It is a great time. Niagara PCA is later this month and then HOD is mid October. Plenty of spots still open for some serious fun!! Your car will love it and so will you!!
Borntorun04/17 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Great pics! VanBortel is a class A dealership. The Corvette showroom is amazing and their people are all great to work with. I've been to every Chevy dealer in the area and none are like them. To be honest I don't even know how the other Vette dealerships stay in business with them around.

Watkins is an awesome track and driving your car there is quite an experience. Now you need to get down their at speed. Come on down this Fri, Sat or Sunday to Watkins. I'll be down there with NASA. It is a great time. Niagara PCA is later this month and then HOD is mid October. Plenty of spots still open for some serious fun!! Your car will love it and so will you!!

Thanks for letting me know about this weekend I won't be able to go this weekend for the future is this were you go on course with a instructor in your own car.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 09-20-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:58 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As a longtime NASCAR fan (yes, even the road course races!), I'm insanely jealous right at the moment.

Last edited by DWS44; 09-20-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:25 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

man these pics make me really wish I knew this was going on would of been a blast.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
man these pics make me really wish I knew this was going on would of been a blast.
YES it was a blast. I will try to remember for next year to send you a PM, when I hear when it's scheduled.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

thanks that would be awesome.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Borntorun04/17
Thanks for letting me know about this weekend I won't be able to go this weekend for the future is this were you go on course with a instructor in your own car.
Yes there are instructors who would ride with you. NASA has a really good beginner program to get you started. So does HOD, PCA, CHIN, BMW and Trackmasters (for Watkins Glen). I run with all of them, and a few more. For your first time, and likely the first few days, an instructor is required. They will show you the line, keep you safe and show you how little you know about your car and it's true performance capability. It is at speed with no pace car, and you will be passing other cars and being passed in a high speed environment for many, many laps (not just 3 parade laps).

You are allowed to progress at your own pace, there is no pressure and an instructor will stay with you for as long as you want (indefinitely if needed). It isn't a race and everyone is safe and simply there to have fun. This weekend with NASA there will be HPDE (fun), Time Trials and Wheel to Wheel racing for those with a competition license.

I have done alot of things in my life (like most of us), from flying airplanes, to surfing giant waves, to jumping off cliffs, to skiing down mountains. I can say confidently that driving your car on a race track with no limits and finding out the true performance capabilities of these awesome machines is an unparalleled thrill. Most people that buy these cars are using maybe 20% of what our cars are capable of. It simply isn't possible on a street, even from an aggressive driver, to even come close to what the car is truly capable of delivering in terms of performance and enjoyment. In fact, it was designed and tested for this very thing. Blasting up a freeway ramp or from light to light is nothing like driving your car around a prepared road course with banking, elevation changes, tight corners, long sweepers, straight aways etc. You will be pulling sustained 1g+ forces on your second lap.

So you should sign up for an HPDE event. If you enjoyed the parade laps, I promise you that you will enjoy this 100 times more. Nothing to be afraid of, except having too much fun. If you want any more info, I am happy to chat offline. With a little bit of prep to the car (brake fluid and pads), routine inspection and a helmet you are good to go.

Get notified of new replies

To VanBortel, Watkins Glen

Quick Reply: VanBortel, Watkins Glen