Sponsored by:

C7 headlight "color"

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Default C7 headlight "color"

I have a 2017 Honda CR-V that has LED headlights that provide a very nice WHITE light at night.

Recently bought a 2017 Grand Sport and the headlights look YELLOW compared to my Honda.

Has anyone replaced the HID bulbs to provide a whiter light? If so what was the source and what are the installation instructions?

Found some on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/C7-Corvette-...VVxRze&vxp=mtr
Old 09-19-2017, 09:47 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

For D3S HID bulbs, I would not go to a "mystery bulb." There are tradeoffs, even if you stay with high quality, name brand bulbs in "blue bulbs" (higher Kelvin "color temperatures").

The light isn't "whiter," it's "bluer" and that's achieved with a blue tint in the glass for higher quality bulbs, or with a blue coating on the cheaper bulbs. Either way, light output is reduced by about 15% for every "1000K" increase in "color temperature," assuming the same quality and same manufacturer. Service life is also reduced by about the same amount. Switch away from GM/Phillips/Sylvania/OSRAM and some of the OE suppliers, and you take another potential hit, usually a big hit on service life.

If you absolutely must have something bluer than stock, check out the OSRAM "Cool Blue" bulbs. Of the junky "blue bulbs" that are available, those are about the best available. It's kind of a "world's tallest midget" claim, though. Those are still blue tinted, still reduced output and shorter service life. They just are not nearly as bad as most of the others. They still will be inferior to the stock bulbs.

Link for the OSRAM Cool Blue bulbs: http://amzn.com/B00O7PZK9U

If you want/need an upgrade to your stock bulbs, with greater light output and higher precision (often improves the beam pattern), look at the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited bulbs http://amzn.com/B0185GYOM0 (rated as "+50" bulbs) or the Philips XtremeVision Gen 2 bulbs http://amzn.com/B074MPWDCS (rated as "+150" bulbs). Either of those choices will actually shed more light where you need it and improve your headlight performance. Both of those bulbs are also slightly bluer than the stock bulbs, but that's not their main selling feature or advantage.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 09-19-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added some "upgrade" recommendations
The following users liked this post:
DWS44 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 10:27 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

It's kind of a "world's tallest midget"

:rof l:
Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Oh, and by the way, to change the headlight bulbs, you have to remove the entire nose clip! At least that's what I had to do! I also put in the Z06 grill while I was in there with the nose off!

Elmer
Old 09-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

This is a very good response. I put 6000K bulbs in my last car and they were horrible. It looked cool but did very little to light up the road.

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
For D3S HID bulbs, I would not go to a "mystery bulb." There are tradeoffs, even if you stay with high quality, name brand bulbs in "blue bulbs" (higher Kelvin "color temperatures").

The light isn't "whiter," it's "bluer" and that's achieved with a blue tint in the glass for higher quality bulbs, or with a blue coating on the cheaper bulbs. Either way, light output is reduced by about 15% for every "1000K" increase in "color temperature," assuming the same quality and same manufacturer. Service life is also reduced by about the same amount. Switch away from GM/Phillips/Sylvania/OSRAM and some of the OE suppliers, and you take another potential hit, usually a big hit on service life.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:10 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Most OEM headlights are between 2,700K-4,300K. I'd say that they're closer to 4,300K. More white than yellow, but definitely no blue...

Old 09-19-2017, 01:25 PM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
I have a 2017 Honda CR-V that has LED headlights that provide a very nice WHITE light at night.

Recently bought a 2017 Grand Sport and the headlights look YELLOW compared to my Honda.

Has anyone replaced the HID bulbs to provide a whiter light? If so what was the source and what are the installation instructions?

Found some on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/C7-Corvette-...VVxRze&vxp=mtr
LED main beam definitely have a higher color temperature (5000k) vs the HID (Xenon, about 4300k) main beams on the C7. There's nothing you can really do about it.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:54 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

I'm running 6000K in my '14

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-19-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
It's kind of a "world's tallest midget"

:rof l:
I was torn between that line and something along the lines of Jack O'Donnel (played by Alan Cranston) in the movie Argo. Those are the best bad bulbs you can get.

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Oh, and by the way, to change the headlight bulbs, you have to remove the entire nose clip! At least that's what I had to do! I also put in the Z06 grill while I was in there with the nose off!

Elmer
They didn't make it easy to get to the HID low beams in the C6's either.

On other topics which I didn't quote directly:

The stock bulbs are about 4300K. That's when they are new. HID's get dimmer over time, much like fluorescent lights in your house or office. They lose strength at the red end of the spectrum faster than they lose at the blue end, so they actually get bluer (higher Kelvin rating) as they age and degrade.

The higher performance bulbs I recommended as upgrades are around 5000K when new, but they don't actually make much of a claim about color.

As for the animated picture with "Expert Recommended" tag, I guess that depends on who you consider an "expert." My go-to expert for automotive lighting matters is Daniel Stern, and I'm pretty sure he'd recommend one of the two bulbs I showed as upgrades. I'm absolutely certain that "color temperature" wouldn't enter into his recommendation at all. That reminds me, I really need to ask him specifically about that because the lights in our friend's C6 are getting a bit cloudy and the bulbs are probably factory original and are getting pretty dim after 12 years.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM
eboggs_jkvl

The C6 had access in the fender well through a flap. Turn the wheel, open the flap and you could change the bulb. The C7 is a royal PITA to change the bulb.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To C7 headlight "color"

Quick Reply: C7 headlight "color"