C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I change fluids at 13k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:09 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Should I change fluids at 13k miles?

I recently picked up a 2011 GS w/11k miles (now has 13k). Should I consider changing any fluids prior to winter storage this year? The oil has been changed every 3k, but I believe the rest of the fluids are all original.

Curious if I should wait until I have more mileage, or consider changing any of the fluids now?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

If you look at the owners manual, there should be a schedule. Just a guess, but your car being an '11 could have been built in '10 which makes it an almost 7 year old car. Assuming nothing but oil and filter were changed, yes, for my peace of mind I'd change fluids. I'd also guess that the manual says about 5 years or 100K miles on coolant, whichever comes first. You don't say if it's auto or manual trans so look it up on service interval---expensive to repair/replace a trans/clutch---preventive is not so much. Someone said the brake system is sealed---yes, to a point. Brake fluid is hygroscopic to my knowledge and that's not good but you'll only find out after repeated hard stops. Which means, when you need it most (or you wouldn't be doing repeated hard stops.) PS, rear diff, maybe a to-do, but your option. PS rack is less expensive than rear diff to repair/replace. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

The car is a manual. Thanks for the info. At this point I'm looking at doing the coolant, clutch fluid and possibly the brake fluid.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I did brake fluid at 27k when I bought the car. it had an easy life from the cond of tires, pads, and overall. The fluid was dark brown
Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Do the brake fluid and rear end. Not big deals and good piece of mind.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FlyboyZR1
I recently picked up a 2011 GS w/11k miles (now has 13k). Should I consider changing any fluids prior to winter storage this year? The oil has been changed every 3k, but I believe the rest of the fluids are all original.

Curious if I should wait until I have more mileage, or consider changing any of the fluids now?
Personally, I'd wait until you take the car out of storage in the Spring. Nothing in the car presently will cause any problems, so why not deal with changes when you're ready to drive the car again. It's kinda like putting on clean clothes after a shower.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Personally, I'd wait until you take the car out of storage in the Spring. Nothing in the car presently will cause any problems, so why not deal with changes when you're ready to drive the car again. It's kinda like putting on clean clothes after a shower.
agree with Hoxxy above, especially with your location making for winter storage, rather than year round driving...............

here's a video link to the "Ranger Method" for changing the clutch fluid................. easy to do and well worth the time and effort....

Old 09-22-2017, 06:19 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

'10 vette here. GS, manual. I did the trans, diff, brakes, power steering, and clutch. The last 3 were "ranger method" - i.e. cleaning out only the reservoirs.

The brake ranger method was done only because i was swapping brake pads (for less dust - trust me, get some ceramic pads), and it made sense to change the fluids before pumping new fluid into the brakes.

Noticeably better shifting after the clutch and trans fluid, no difference in feel from diff/brakes.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

IMHO - YES !!!

Coolant change is quite overdue. The stuff in anti-freeze that prevents the fluid from freezing (ethylene glycol) will last forever - but the coolant also contains other stuff including anti-corrosive agents. To oversimplify - some of those are sacrificial, so they need to be replaced over time. What I normally do is to drain the radiator every few years, and put back a mix of full strength anti-freeze and distilled water. While this method is clearly not a good as a full system drain and flush - I think it's a decent compromise - as doing the full drain is a PITA.

As other posts have pointed out - brake fluid is hydroscopic and LOVES to absorb water. Water not only decreases the fluid's boiling point - it also increases the likelihood of corrosion in the brake system. So - every few years a brake fluid flush is a VERY good idea as well.

Most of us change clutch fluid by emptying the reservoir and replacing with new fluid periodically. It's quick, easy and relatively cheap !!!

As for tranny and diff fluid - certainly more of a Pain in the neck to change - but again - probably worth it - although if you have an easy way to get the car on a lift, that does make the job a whole lot easier...

So - I'd do coolant clutch and brake fluid before putting it away for the winter - the oil and other fluids in the spring. ......

Get notified of new replies

To Should I change fluids at 13k miles?

Quick Reply: Should I change fluids at 13k miles?