Ordering 2018 - GM Employee pricing vs Forum dealer discounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 03:04 PM
DTOM
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 407 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
Default Ordering 2018 - GM Employee pricing vs Forum dealer discounts

I'm planning to order a 2018 Z06 very soon.

I'll have GM Employee pricing via a relative, but will the forum dealers here be able to offer sharper discounts than GM Employee pricing?

If I do select one of them, I assume I'll need to add in additional freight costs.

I'm not to far from the top Corvette dealer in my state but they don't sell nearly the volume the Forum dealers here do.

Would dealer allocation play a factor if I do buy from the smaller local dealer? They sold 100 vettes last year.

I also have $2-3k in GM Rewards cards points. Can I stack those with Employee pricing? If not, would it make sense to purchase from one of the forum dealers and then apply the points?

Thank you
Old 09-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Dan Dlabay
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a new C7. i could get GM employee discount and i had $3000 on my Gm MasterCard. I could not use the $3000 and GM employee discount. My dealer wrote it up both ways and it was close to $1000 cheaper to use the $3000 GM card money. Now there is a I think it's called GM Family First MasterCard that can be used with GM employee discount but it only pays 1%.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 PM
ArchitectMike
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Slightly better from the dealer

Shop both ways. My nephew got me a GM Family First authorization code in late spring for a new 2017. I then shopped just the 4 largest dealers from the forum 3 out of 4 were less than employee price. My local dealer (who gave me an all-day test drive in a used 2015 Z51) then matched the all-in lowest quote.

(FWIW, I placed a deposit, but missed the cutoff for ordering a 2017. My dealer held the price and delivered a 2018.)
Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

For a 2018 order, I "think" GM Employee pricing is going to work out to be around 13% off MSRP based on what I can determine from past investigations. MacMulkin gave me 11% off to order. So there is an advantage to the GM employee pricing.

You should not have to add in additional freight charges if you do a courtesy delivery. You will have to pay the Courtesy delivery dealer for their Pre-delivery inspection (PDI) and the paperwork. I am paying $300 on my order. When I checked around in Florida, a lot of dealers won't do it and those that would, want between $300 and $600. But each area is different.

It is my perception that dealer allocation does play a role in how much they will knock off. If I was a dealer and I had a small allocation of Vettes that I could order, and I didn't care about growing my corvette sales because I am not in a high corvette volume sales area, why would I want to use a precious allocation on someone looking for a great price? Maybe if one is ordering a heavily optioned ZO6 but probably not on a $60K base

I don't know about the rewards points being combined with GM Employee pricing. It seems that you should be able to combine them.

Last edited by Frosty; 09-19-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

Just remember that MacMulkin does not charge any dealer or 'doc' fees. That can swing a deal $500-700 in an instant.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Employee discount must be a immediate family member to employee. Then there is friend & family employee can give this discount out ,this discount % off is smaller than the Employee discount. When I ordered my 17 GS I used the employee discount cause it worked out best at that time. A lot of times when using Employee discount other rebates/ bonus tag can't be used with Employee discount. Three month later got my wife a Acadia and didn't use Employee discount because dealer mark down and other rebates were stacked together and was cheaper in the end. So even if you qualify for either GM discounts check out pricing from all different ways .If you want to use GM Card point /dollars and get Employee discount you will need the GM family first card to be able to claim both.

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 09-19-2017 at 08:41 PM.
4U2ENV (11-24-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay
I just bought a new C7. i could get GM employee discount and i had $3000 on my Gm MasterCard. I could not use the $3000 and GM employee discount. My dealer wrote it up both ways and it was close to $1000 cheaper to use the $3000 GM card money. Now there is a I think it's called GM Family First MasterCard that can be used with GM employee discount but it only pays 1%.
This is correct
Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

You're just going to have to shop by price - not allocation. I've found here in Texas and Louisiana, the Chevy dealers that I shopped will all tell you they're a high volume Corvette seller, in an effort to get your business. But not even one would order a new Corvette built to order, for more than a 5% discount off MSRP. That's a joke. You can do a built to order -11% off MSRP with MacMulkin Chev. every day.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:58 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Irrelevant to most of us who do not have access to the GM Employee discount. You know who the forum dealers are. Call them up, get your price, and figure it out. Do the math. It's kind of like you having a relative who works at the police department and can fix your ticket, asking us commoners if we know of any better deals. We're not as special as you are. We don't have access by virtue of our genealogy like you do. We rely on the competitive open market to get the best deal we can instead of piggy back on a relative for special treatment.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 PM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I've purchased (4) C7s on GMS pricing and the discount has ranged between 12.7% to 10.4%. It has decreased since 2015 so I dont know what to expect on the 18s. Typically though if you're using the discount you have much room for negotiation on your trade. You should do some research on how to read and understand the invoice, it will help you decide how much you can push for. My dealers have been creative in providing additional discounts in the form of "referral fees" on top of the discount.

I just looked at the GMS pricing for the '18 i am looking at, its 10.4% from MSRP. I feel like you can beat this walking in off the street.

Last edited by bd377103; 09-19-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue666's
Just remember that MacMulkin does not charge any dealer or 'doc' fees. That can swing a deal $500-700 in an instant.
GM Employee pricing limits the amount of the dealer DOC. fee so that is not true.

People are confusing true employee pricing with supplier pricing and friends and family pricing. There is no cheaper way to buy a new GM vehicle than true employee pricing but you need to have a very close relative who works for GM to qualify.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 AM
bd377103
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
GM Employee pricing limits the amount of the dealer DOC. fee so that is not true.

People are confusing true employee pricing with supplier pricing and friends and family pricing. There is no cheaper way to buy a new GM vehicle than true employee pricing but you need to have a very close relative who works for GM to qualify.
That's not really the case when many dealers are advertising prices lower than employee price to buyers right off the street. The discount is actually kinda of a joke anymore in this market.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bd377103
That's not really the case when many dealers are advertising prices lower than employee price to buyers right off the street. The discount is actually kinda of a joke anymore in this market.
As a retired GM dealer in a GM town that sold hundreds of employee deals a year...it is the case. Because of rebates, the dealer could sell a car for less than printed GM Employee price from the invoice. That conveniently ignores the fact that dealers are required to pass on rebates to the employee which makes the vehicle cheaper for them. For years dealers have tried to convince buyers of what you are saying. Unfortunately they are misleading in most of their claims and unless they choose to lose money on the deal, they cannot beat employee price.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:31 AM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

I just looked at the GMS pricing for the '18 i am looking at, its 10.4% from MSRP. I feel like you can beat this walking in off the street.
This is about right GMS - "family first " - my price was exactly 10.57% discount which also accounts for freight - remove freight from the equation and it was 10.7%. I bought my 2016 base in Nov 2015 and 2017 GS this way in early June.

Even with skinny margins both dealers did an excellent prep job.

I don't know how the forum guys manage to make acceptable margins at 11% or more discounts on current model year vettes. God bless them for being a great alternative for those of us that don't have the GMS deal.

Based on state regulations, "doc" fees may be fixed and not a big deal. I went to Rick Hendrick Chev in Charleston and was surprised at the flat $500. Its reasonable.

Size of dealer and relationship with zone people can impact getting an allocation. Could be they have one in hand or could be they get sidelined for a few weeks while bigger dealers get the available allocations.
In my two vette purchases - my first one - in summer 2015 - took about six weeks for the smaller local chevy dealer to get the allocation. The second one - this past April was done in 48 hours by a call to zone guys on the last day of 2017 orders. Rick Hendrick has gravitas.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

Employee pricing is a great discount, it's approximately 11% off of MSRP. Out of the top 50 Corvette dealers in the nation, only 10 are selling at 10% off or better, most others are 5-6% off, and a few are at MSRP (on the west coast). About 90% of Corvette sales across the Nation are at your local dealerships and employee price is a great deal on any new Chevy.

Keep in mind that even though 10%+ off of a new Corvette sounds like a great deal, but think about what you're getting as a trade value, think about your traveling expenses, shipping, etc... It might be a good deal for some, but it is not for everyone!
LIE2ME (11-24-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:46 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

If you have access to the Full GM Employee discount (not the Supplier/Military/Friends and Family Discount). Then just use the discount.

It's 20% off ALL options if I remember right (2LT and 3LT are considered options and 20% off of $9000 is a good chunk), the price off of the BASE MSRP (so 1LT, 1LT Z51, 1LZ Z06) is around 3-4%. So your discount gets bigger as you add more options.
daleong (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
If you have access to the Full GM Employee discount (not the Supplier/Military/Friends and Family Discount). Then just use the discount.

It's 20% off ALL options if I remember right (2LT and 3LT are considered options and 20% off of $9000 is a good chunk), the price off of the BASE MSRP (so 1LT, 1LT Z51, 1LZ Z06) is around 3-4%. So your discount gets bigger as you add more options.
It is not a uniform percentage discount on the car and a different discount on accessories. GM employee price is printed on the invoice and is less than what the dealer pays for the car. The employee also gets any current incentives.
daleong (09-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Ordering 2018 - GM Employee pricing vs Forum dealer discounts

Old 09-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaxman

Based on state regulations, "doc" fees may be fixed and not a big deal. I went to Rick Hendrick Chev in Charleston and was surprised at the flat $500. Its reasonable.
Any Dealer Doc fee is a sharp stick in the eye of the Customer. The so called mandatory fee required in some states is just another gimmick to screw the Customer because the sales person keeps saying the charge is mandatory. The only thing mandatory about it is a number has to be listed on the bill of sale but it takes more negotiating and time to offset the charge with discounts somewhere else. Dealers in the Charlotte area are charging $700 to $800 for dealer doc fees. That makes it worth traveling a couple of states to get away from them and the extra hassle if you aren't trading in a vehicle.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Frosty (09-22-2017), Strake (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:13 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

It is not a uniform percentage discount on the car and a different discount on accessories. GM employee price is printed on the invoice and is less than what the dealer pays for the car. The employee also gets any current incentives.
Having bought (or known people who have bought, like my parents) GM cars for many many years at discount, you are correct it is not uniform on the car base MSRP, there is a range but as a percentage it's a relatively tight distribution (3-4% covers most cars). But options are the same percentage from car to car, as are accessories (the rates differ between options and accessories, but not within the sub units).

I know they made some changes in 2009 during the bankruptcy, and granted since then I've only known of my 2016 purchase (my parents haven't bought a new GM in over 10 years) this may have changed. But on each of my 2016's options the percentage was the same. I couldn't remember if it was still 20% or closer to 10% but it was a HARD percentage value not variable.

I actually had a spreadsheet to calculate it and I was within a few dollars to my final bill (my MSRP calculation wasn't dead on).
Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

yes, the verbiage used is important. "Supplier" and "Employee" discounts are different from each other.

My last two new Corvette purchases were with the Employee discount; and i was able to use all incentives as well.

Quick Reply: Ordering 2018 - GM Employee pricing vs Forum dealer discounts