C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 BB fan shroud w/ ac question

Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 PM
bobby1963SWC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1967 BB fan shroud w/ ac question

Hi-

Im fairly new to the forum and just pulled the trigger on a mostly original or NOS 1967 427 coupe. First time corvette owner. This is an original AC are and has all of the components installed. I was told by the seller that finding a fan shroud for this car was suggested to keep it from running hot in slow speed/ idle situations. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping yall can help me with.

- Who makes the best repro fiberglass shroud and extension for this car?
- Are any mods needed on even the best repros or are they pretty exact?
- How many brackets are needed for a BB A/C car shroud?
- Anything else I nned to be aware of?
- Anyone here selling a NOS one?
- An original reconditioned shroud 67 BB A/C car shroud is for sale on ebay for $2500.00. I konw that its rare but I just cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on a fan shroud. Thoughts? Is it worth it for this car? (My car is not a show car, but just a really cool mostly orginal car with great patina IMO). I have no idea what this part is worth other than wat someone is willing to pay.

Below are some pics of the car so yall can have an idea of it the $$$$ NOS shroud would be worth the investment on this vehicle. Thanks a million!

P.S. - When I joined the forum I was looking for a 63 SWC but have obviously since changed my mind. Is there any way to update my username?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

All BB used the same shroud. But AC cars got a extension peice that's bolted to the stock shroud that goes around the bottom. It looks like you got half of the original one as they were a two peice design that was bonded together Corvette Image should make all you need or you can source a good used one. I suggest you buy a Assembly instruction manual or AIM before you go any further so you can see the engineer drawings of what you need
Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 AM
bobby1963SWC
Intermediate

Thank you for your reply. I will take your advice on the manual. After reading more last night, I have read where some (or maybe all) repros do not contain the factory correct slots at the bottom of the shroud for the ac extension I believe and that some manufacturers have figment issues that require modifications. I will check out corvette image. Any experience on dr rebuild parts as well or do they all come from the same place and are resold by different vendors? Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:32 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Dr Rebuild has a reputation that's all I am going to say. I had great luck with Long Island Corvette and Paragon. You will find those to make a lot of the parts
Old 09-20-2017, 07:47 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

By the way I like the car too it looks like a great car. Does the AC work?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:04 AM
bobby1963SWC
Intermediate

Thank you for the compliment. As far as the a/c...freshly rebuilt r12 system by the seller who seems like a good trustworthy guy. The issue is it's currently located in Cali where r12 can't be messed with so I have to wait to get it to Bama in order to see how it holds a charge of r12
Old 09-20-2017, 09:08 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Did the seller say it was actually running hot at slow speed? Did he say how hot? Is he sure it's due to the shroud?

Ed
Old 09-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by emdoller
Did the seller say it was actually running hot at slow speed? Did he say how hot? Is he sure it's due to the shroud?

Ed
BB cars need all the help it can get. And the car is missing a lot of the key components of the cooling system.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:24 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

I get that... just concerned there may be something else going on. I guess time will tell. Not sure I buy the R12 Cali comment either. There are plenty of shops out here that are licensed to use it. Perhaps I'm paranoid but sounds like an excuse.

Great looking car.

Ed
Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I can not commit on the R12. It's easy enough to find it here in PA it's just not to many shops want to fool with it.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:43 AM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a 64 with a/c. I finally got tired of the search and cost of using r12 only to have it leak out after a few months. I temporarily put r134a into the system to help me locate a leak. I repaired the leak and refilled with r134a to see if it would hold with the intent of putting the r12 back in. It held and blew ice cold. Two years later it's still holding and I'm still using the r134a. Now, I had rebuilt the entire system and used new o-rings but I'm not going back to the expensive r12.

BTW, I have the twin to your car. Fresh out of the paint booth:

Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

For a used original shroud and AC extension piece, I would contact David Sokolowski and David Crane...............both in California. Google the names for contact information, or let me know and I can provide.

LICS or Paragon should have a decent reproduction fiberglass shroud and extension if you want to go that way. Or post up a WTB in our Parts Wanted or For Sale Section.

DR REBUILD will have the necessary AC top and bottom seal strips that you need. His are the best out there.

Larry
Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 AM
bobby1963SWC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by emdoller

Ed
The seller did say it could run hot at slow speeds in stop and go traffic although it was not the norm. He did not say how hot but was confident that it was the shroud. We agreed that I would have to supply the shroud but that it would be installed prior to me having the vehicle picked up. Thank you for your response.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:32 AM
bobby1963SWC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Powershift
For a used original shroud and AC extension piece, I would contact David Sokolowski and David Crane...............both in California. Google the names for contact information, or let me know and I can provide.

LICS or Paragon should have a decent reproduction fiberglass shroud and extension if you want to go that way. Or post up a WTB in our Parts Wanted or For Sale Section.

DR REBUILD will have the necessary AC top and bottom seal strips that you need. His are the best out there.

Larry
Thank you very much for all your help.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 AM
bobby1963SWC
Intermediate

Default missing ac parts

To the untrained eye, What do you notice off the bat that Im missing besides the shroud, extenstion, and 3 piece foam?

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
BB cars need all the help it can get. And the car is missing a lot of the key components of the cooling system.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:40 AM
bobby1963SWC
Intermediate

Default ac system

Beautiful Car by the way! Maybe one day I will get this one to that level, but my pocketbook is going to only allow me to use some elbow grease to clean things up for now. Im still happy as can be to have it as is.

Originally Posted by bobby1963SWC
To the untrained eye, What do you notice off the bat that Im missing besides the shroud, extenstion, and 3 piece foam?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:45 AM
bobby1963SWC
Intermediate

Default Nice Job!

I was really liking the wore out paint on my car until I saw this!!! Wow I really like that! Lynndale blue is my favorite color personally. THanks for the advice on the ac. Ive heard that the reason R12 and 134 are not compatible is mainly because of the oils, but also the molecule size regarding leaks. I also heard mixed reviews on some type of oil you can introduce to correct this and put 134 into an r12 system without having to change the dryer. Did you use this type of product? If so do you remember the name? Any new parts? Seller says he has just gone through the system looked everything over and replaced all rings.

Originally Posted by jprop
I have a 64 with a/c. I finally got tired of the search and cost of using r12 only to have it leak out after a few months. I temporarily put r134a into the system to help me locate a leak. I repaired the leak and refilled with r134a to see if it would hold with the intent of putting the r12 back in. It held and blew ice cold. Two years later it's still holding and I'm still using the r134a. Now, I had rebuilt the entire system and used new o-rings but I'm not going back to the expensive r12.

BTW, I have the twin to your car. Fresh out of the paint booth:

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 BB fan shroud w/ ac question

Old 09-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bobby1963SWC
The top seal is missing That's all I can see with those pictures. I just finished that black 390 auto with AC car the other year So any questions just ask. But there are others who know more then me.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Gary D. Jaynes
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

If you order a reproduction fan shroud be prepared to cut the slots in for the extension, as the reproduction does not come with the slots.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:59 PM
bobby1963SWC
Intermediate

Ive heard this before. I was hoping that some of the reproductions already had these but it doesnt sound that way. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Gary D. Jaynes
If you order a reproduction fan shroud be prepared to cut the slots in for the extension, as the reproduction does not come with the slots.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1967 BB fan shroud w/ ac question