C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Noob Question - C7 Trim Packages, Track Days, Dealer Price vs What You Paid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:24 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Vette Noob Question - C7 Trim Packages, Track Days, Dealer Price vs What You Paid?

Hi Guys,

Been researching the '15 to '17 C7 vettes, and plan on buying one as soon as a good deal comes along. The only problem is the cars are so stinkin popular the top deals move in a matter of hours.

I can go up to $60 at the absolute top of my budget, but prefer to spend low $50s or even high $40s if possible. It'll be our 3rd car, so it'd basically be used for bounding around, but I'd also like to take it to a few track days each year. Which brings me to my questions...

The 'dream' car is the '17 GS Watkins Gray LE. One was listed at $63, but it sold literally before the dealer could put up multiple pictures...I say it's my dream car, but there's a lot of blue on the interior...still I just don't think you can get any sexier than that Watkins Gray exterior with the Heritage blue pkg striping on the front.

So question one is, is the Heritage package paint or decals, and how much and hard would it be to add to the blue stripes to a GS that's the standard gray?

Since it'll be used at the track, I'm looking for the magnetic ride suspension...while I really prefer the look of the GS & z06, I'd be open to a Z51 if the right deal came along. Does the Z51 come w/ the magnetic ride suspension to dial it in for the track? I know the data recorder is optional and I'll have to check it on a car by car basis till you get to the 3LT/3LZ level.

There a ton of GS 1LT vehicles available. Almost no GS 2LT, 3LT packages. I've hear the 2LT/3LT package has more track goodies, but are they worth the added cost? If you selected the 2LT/2LZ or 3LT/3LZ package over the 1LT, what's the main reason you went that route?

I used to do trackdays on motorcycles, but have never done one in a car. My two closest tracks would be VIR and CMP, what's the typical price of the average track day for cars? I learned the hard way on bike how important tires are (it was a ballet-esque highside), but I wasn't sure if the same deal applied to getting track tires for cars? I don't plan on ever racing the car...just taking it to the track so I can cut her loose.

I've notice the GS 3LT and z06 1LZ are pretty much at the same price point. If you had to choose between the two, which would you go with?

I've also seen the GS 1LT similarly priced to the Z51 3LT. Besides the looks, what are the differences that might make the GS 1LT the better buy...or is the Z51 3LT the better bargain?

Lastly, when it comes to negotiating the price for a used vette with dealers most seem to only want to move a couple hundred bucks with many actually offering a higher price than sticker with all their little fees. What type of deals did you guys get between the price the dealer offer the car at and the price you paid? Any negotiating tactics you would stress using? I'm dying to get a vette, but I'm also very disciplined. I've walked away from cars in the dealership when we were $400 apart.

Thanks for any advice guys, and hopefully I'll be posting an image of my new ride in the coming weeks

Last edited by jdlev; 09-20-2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:05 AM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Try asking here.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance-169/
Old 09-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving this to C7 General.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by jdlev
Hi Guys,

So question one is, is the Heritage package paint or decals, and how much and hard would it be to add to the blue stripes to a GS that's the standard gray?
Yes you can add them, I am not sure on the cost but a dealer could tell you.

Since it'll be used at the track, I'm looking for the magnetic ride suspension...while I really prefer the look of the GS & z06, I'd be open to a Z51 if the right deal came along. Does the Z51 come w/ the magnetic ride suspension to dial it in for the track? I know the data recorder is optional and I'll have to check it on a car by car basis till you get to the 3LT/3LZ level.
The Z51 does come with the magride as optional. I picked up a 2016 Z51 1LT with magride and PDR (it had some other options too) for $47,800. It was used but only had 2600 miles on it.

There a ton of GS 1LT vehicles available. Almost no GS 2LT, 3LT packages. I've hear the 2LT/3LT package has more track goodies, but are they worth the added cost? If you selected the 2LT/2LZ or 3LT/3LZ package over the 1LT, what's the main reason you went that route?
The 2LT/3LT pacakages add more convenience features and not so many track options A 1LT GS is a very nicely appointed car and is within your price range.

I used to do trackdays on motorcycles, but have never done one in a car. My two closest tracks would be VIR and CMP, what's the typical price of the average track day for cars? I learned the hard way on bike how important tires are (it was a ballet-esque highside), but I wasn't sure if the same deal applied to getting track tires for cars? I don't plan on ever racing the car...just taking it to the track so I can cut her loose.
Track costs will vary depending on what type of event, but plan on spending some money. Not just the cost of the track time but you will want track insurance (https://locktonmotorsports.com/), you need to change your oil before and after the track day, and the other costs to consider such as brake pads, tires, etc. You may want to consider Ron Fellows in NV if you buy a new Corvette:
https://www.springmountainmotorsport...-owners-school
I've notice the GS 3LT and z06 1LZ are pretty much at the same price point. If you had to choose between the two, which would you go with?
I would recommend driving them back to back and deciding. Keep in mind you are going to be well into the $70K's on a new Z06 after tax, etc.

I've also seen the GS 1LT similarly priced to the Z51 3LT. Besides the looks, what are the differences that might make the GS 1LT the better buy...or is the Z51 3LT the better bargain?
The GS and Z51 have similar performance for the street. For the track the GS will be a faster car as it has more grip (larger tires) and additional suspension tuning/components. Again you should really drive both. The Z51 would be easier to live with for street driving. You can also find a lot more used Z51's out there if you want to keep cost down. But I would drive both and buy the one you like better.

Lastly, when it comes to negotiating the price for a used vette with dealers most seem to only want to move a couple hundred bucks with many actually offering a higher price than sticker with all their little fees. What type of deals did you guys get between the price the dealer offer the car at and the price you paid? Any negotiating tactics you would stress using? I'm dying to get a vette, but I'm also very disciplined. I've walked away from cars in the dealership when we were $400 apart.

Thanks for any advice guys, and hopefully I'll be posting an image of my new ride in the coming weeks
Reseach. Cargurus will tell you how long a car has been sitting on the dealer lot. With Fall fast approaching look for used Vette's that have been sitting for 3+ months and also expand your search scope. Dealers in the midwest and northeast will be much more likely to deal than a dealer in warmer climates that don't see snow. Once the white stuff starts falling the dealer knows those Vettes on summer tires will be sitting for months. I bought my car in February so even if you wait a few more months you might see some big discounts.

Also, what car are you driving now? The C7 could be a huge jump for you and a Z06 might be too big a jump.

Last edited by thill444; 09-20-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

Wow jd, lots of questions. I'll only address the ones that I can.

My two closest tracks would be VIR and CMP, what's the typical price of the average track day for cars?
You must be located near me. Typically clubs (BMW, Porsche, etc.) do weekend events that run around $400-450 last I checked.

The OE tires are pretty good, but you'll notice a huge improvement with dedicated race tires, fer sure. I strongly recommend that you do a few events with street tires first, to learn the car before you start getting those high speeds that race tires can give you. They're less forgiving than street tires, as you probably know.

...what are the differences that might make the GS 1LT the better buy...or is the Z51 3LT the better bargain?
OK, I'm going to get a lot of grief for this, but this is my opinion:

The better buy is the 1LT Stingray. You can buy a new one for $50K or less. What is a Z51? It's a stingray with stiffer suspension. What's a GS? It's a stingray with stiffer suspension and a dry sump. What's a Z06? It's a heck of a lot more, a track car that can be driven on the street. But it's a track car, first and foremost. Keep that in mind.

If you want a track monster, get a Z06. End of story. If you want a nice car to have fun with, occasionally take to the track, then get a 1LT and enjoy it. If you want to spend money, then get the fancy packages and all those expensive options, but it won't make the car any better or any faster.

You probably already know this, as it applies to bikes as well as cars: you can put a novice in a fast car and he'll never keep up with an experienced driver in a slow car. Buy the 1LT stingray and take your savings to spend on track time.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:56 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
Wow jd, lots of questions. I'll only address the ones that I can.

You must be located near me. Typically clubs (BMW, Porsche, etc.) do weekend events that run around $400-450 last I checked.

The OE tires are pretty good, but you'll notice a huge improvement with dedicated race tires, fer sure. I strongly recommend that you do a few events with street tires first, to learn the car before you start getting those high speeds that race tires can give you. They're less forgiving than street tires, as you probably know.

The better buy is the 1LT Stingray. You can buy a new one for $50K or less. What is a Z51? It's a stingray with stiffer suspension. What's a GS? It's a stingray with stiffer suspension and a dry sump. What's a Z06? It's a heck of a lot more, a track car that can be driven on the street. But it's a track car, first and foremost. Keep that in mind.

If you want a track monster, get a Z06. End of story. If you want a nice car to have fun with, occasionally take to the track, then get a 1LT and enjoy it. If you want to spend money, then get the fancy packages and all those expensive options, but it won't make the car any better or any faster.

You probably already know this, as it applies to bikes as well as cars: you can put a novice in a fast car and he'll never keep up with an experienced driver in a slow car. Buy the 1LT stingray and take your savings to spend on track time.
A Z51 is a little more than just a stiffer suspension LOL. Differences vs a base. The GS is essentially a Z06 with less horsepower. For some people the diffrence on track will be minimal as the GS is easier to drive on track for beginner/intermediate:

Z51 vs base:
Larger wheels (19-inch front and 20-inch rear) give the Z51 a unique look while also giving increased grip for the rear-wheel drive powertrain
A dry sump oil system ensures your engine always draws its oil from a fresh reservoir and keeps it from affecting performance by sloshing around on sharp turns.
A unique Aero Package reduces lift and boosts high-speed driving stability.
Larger front brakes (with black calipers) and slotted brake rotors help improve braking response time without sacrificing cooling power (or style).
Springs, shocks, and stabilizer bars (built specifically for the Z51) tighten up handling and deliver a more responsive ride.
An electronic limited slip differential assesses driving conditions and improves steering balance and stability.
Performance gear ratios are optimized for getting the most out of the 6.2L V8’s power and contribute to the 29 mpg highway fuel economy

And Z51 will still retain warranty if you take it on track and follow the GM maintenance procedures. Base Stingray could get denied a warranty for track use. Not sure if any have, who knows what GM will do.

Last edited by thill444; 09-20-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:28 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

The better buy is the 1LT Stingray. You can buy a new one for $50K or less. What is a Z51? It's a stingray with stiffer suspension. What's a GS? It's a stingray with stiffer suspension and a dry sump.

Clearly a total lack of understanding of what a Z51 is. The Z51 also has the dry sump that you point out in the GS. But, it is so much more than those 2 items, especially if it also has MSRC. Probably the biggest difference is the PTM (Performance Traction Management) that you DON'T get on the base Stingray.

The PTM system contains five
modes. These modes are selected
by turning the Selective Ride
Control/Performance Traction
Management MODE SELECT ****
on the center console. Scroll up or
down through modes 1–5 by turning
the MODE SELECT **** to the
right or left.
The following is a DIC display
description and the recommended
usage of each mode:
PERF TRAC 1 – WET ACTIVE
HANDLING ON
. Intended for all driver skill levels.
. Wet or damp conditions only —
not intended for use in heavy
rain or standing water.
. StabiliTrak is on and engine
power is reduced based on
conditions.
PERF TRAC 2 – DRY ACTIVE
HANDLING ON
. For use by less experienced
drivers or while learning a new
track.
. Dry conditions only.
. StabiliTrak is on and engine
power is slightly reduced.
PERF TRAC 3 – SPORT
ACTIVE HANDLING ON
. For use by drivers who are
familiar with the track.
. Dry conditions only.
. Requires more driving skill than
mode 2.
. StabiliTrak is on and more
engine power is available than in
mode 2.
PERF TRAC 4 – SPORT
ACTIVE HANDLING OFF
. For use by drivers who are
familiar with the track.
. Dry conditions only.
modes 2 or 3.
. StabiliTrak is off and available
engine power is the same as
mode 3.
PERF TRAC 5 – RACE ACTIVE
HANDLING OFF
. For use by experienced drivers
who are familiar with the track.
. Dry conditions only.
in other modes.
. StabiliTrak is off and engine
power is available for maximum
cornering speed.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

I stand corrected. Sorry guys, I didn't realize that the Z51 had all of that stuff.

Apparently the Z51 is $5K on top of whatever trim level you choose. Since I don't track my car any more, it's all fluff to me, but if you are planning numerous weekends at the track, especially in the south, then all of those extra coolers and performance software may well be worth it.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:38 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

I will limit my comments to 1LT-2LT-3LT and GS to Z51.
2LT adds as useful options: heads-up display & front cameras; plus as fluff: heated/cooled seats, extra subwoofer, more color trim if you choose the gray/red/brown interiors.
3LT adds as a useful option: PDR; everything else is fluff.
PDR is a great option and is available as a stand alone for both 1LT and 2LT.
GS is a Z06 without the supercharger and costs $2,200 more than a Z51 with MSRC (part of all GS & Z06).
To me, with the introduction of the GS, a Z51 with MSRC just doesn't make sense - personally, I wouldn't spend the money for a well optioned Z51.
I have had both 1LT & 2LT C7's, and honestly the only thing I would miss going from a 2LT back to the 1LT is the front cameras.
OP - I would look really hard at a GS 1LT with PDR for your use.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:48 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Hummm $60K max, 3ed car, track days...

You probably can't afford it. Buy a Miata, and put the rest into retirement. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:06 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. Decided to open up the criteria a bit to include the 1LT/LZ packages, and found a couple good deals on GS's. Might actually pick one up this weekend!

Thanks for all the feedback guys (except rrsperry who knows where he can shove that miata)...you really helped clarify some of the points with my decision making process. Hopefully will be updating the avatar with a new '17 or '18 gs in the next 2-3 weeks
Old 09-23-2017, 08:26 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

I don't know your distance limitations, or if you have any, but for me it was worthwhile to fly 1400 miles and shop at Kerbeck's. When I told other dealers who kept calling me of my deal, they quit bothering me... or, in the case of a local, he nearly cried! All the best on your search.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:24 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 120 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

As a suggestion to the OP. Why don't you download my spreadsheet that is located here on the forum. It has all the 2018 pricing for all the models and shows all the options and standard offerings for each model. It will give you a better idea of what falls in your budget and hopefully help you make a better decision. I think you will like it. Let me know what you think.

2018 Corvette Pricing
The following users liked this post:
Kevin A Jones (09-24-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 10:55 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,594 Likes on 5,559 Posts

You ZO6 guys never miss an opportunity to sell the GS short.
How about the GS being a wide body thus a substantially different look and improved handling, larger wheels/tires, NPP exhaust among other things. The GS is much closer to the ZO6 than the base Stingray!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. Decided to open up the criteria a bit to include the 1LT/LZ packages, and found a couple good deals on GS's. Might actually pick one up this weekend!

Thanks for all the feedback guys (except rrsperry who knows where he can shove that miata)...you really helped clarify some of the points with my decision making process. Hopefully will be updating the avatar with a new '17 or '18 gs in the next 2-3 weeks
I know rrsberry doesn't need my help but. I believe he was referring to how many track folks really like the miata for its excellent feel/performance. Sure its underpowered compared to any trim level vette but with a good/excellent driver it can amaze alot of more high-powered cars. Your price point is so low & the fact you want to track some kinda severely limits your options. I believe if you buy any vette to track you may find yourself w/o the money to track. Track fees, track ins, changing oil, going thru pads/tires, maybe rotors, possibly a trailer to haul car, extra tires, etc is very expensive. Just a thought based on your own criteria limits.

Last edited by madrob2020; 09-24-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Noob Question - C7 Trim Packages, Track Days, Dealer Price vs What You Paid?

Quick Reply: Vette Noob Question - C7 Trim Packages, Track Days, Dealer Price vs What You Paid?