Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZR-1 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:09 AM
1LEZ
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
Default ZR-1 Brakes

I hope to install C6 ZR-1 brakes on my C4 ZR1. Does anyone know if there is a steel rotor substitute that works with the Z calipers? If I can do the steel rotor now and upgrade too carbon at a later date that would be great. Thanks for any advice
Old 09-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Yes, there is a thread, I think it's in the C7Z section, a vendor is manufacturing replacement steel rotors.

That said, the only legitimate use case for the steel rotor is if you heavily track the car, and even then I'm not sure I completely agree. The whole point of the CC brake setup is superior performance with lower weight.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:22 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Yes, there is a thread, I think it's in the C7Z section, a vendor is manufacturing replacement steel rotors.

That said, the only legitimate use case for the steel rotor is if you heavily track the car, and even then I'm not sure I completely agree. The whole point of the CC brake setup is superior performance with lower weight.
Me thinks he is trying to save money...
Old 09-20-2017, 07:11 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BAAD LS2
Me thinks he is trying to save money...
I agree, but going that route won't really save him money because he eventually wants to do the cc rotors anyway. The replacement iron rotors are not exactly cheap.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:49 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
I agree, but going that route won't really save him money because he eventually wants to do the cc rotors anyway. The replacement iron rotors are not exactly cheap.
It will save him a LOT of money! GM wants $18,000 for the complete Carbon Ceramic brake settup. My personal advice would be for him to purchase a quality (Brembo, A-P, Stoptech) aftermarket BBK package. That would be much better (economic) usage of his car budget.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:50 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
It will save him a LOT of money! GM wants $18,000 for the complete Carbon Ceramic brake settup. My personal advice would be for him to purchase a quality (Brembo, A-P, Stoptech) aftermarket BBK package. That would be much better (economic) usage of his car budget.
You can find OE kits that contain Calipers, Brake Pads, and Rotors for about half that. Having said that, I'd rather go aftermarket BBK as well.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Girodisc makes iron rotors for the C6 ZR1 and C7 Z06/Z07. The C6 and C7 rotors are the same part so you can get the Girodisc front rotors for about $1200 for the pair. I know the C7 versions are $1300 for a pair C6 versions may be similar. That is about half the price you would pay for the ceramic rotors. Don't buy from dealer buy from Amazon.

Is there enough room in the wheel wells to fit at least 18 inch diameter wheels with the proper offset so the spokes clear the calipers?

Bill
Old 09-21-2017, 07:26 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Trust me if you shop around it's possible to get the complete ZR1 carbon ceramic brake setup for $7500-8000.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 AM
1LEZ
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
Default brakes

First off I do have 18' wheels but plan on doing 19" and 20" Forgeline when I do the brake upgrade. As for aftermarket brakes such as Stoptech and the others mentioned, which part number do I buy? No company really makes a good brake for the C4. If I buy Stoptech or Brembo for a C6 can I still use the same adapt brackets that I would use to adapt C6 ZR-1 brakes to my car? Thanks for all the input guys
Old 09-23-2017, 11:45 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you contacted the brake companies? (Stoptech, brembo, wilwood or AP?). Unless you are absolutely dead set on a C6ZR1 brake package, id be willing to bet a good kit from one of those companies will get you the stopping power you want at a price much more reasonable than the ZR1 setup and probably function better since it's made for your car vs homemade kit. That said, the fbody guys have been doing homemade kits with great success for years. But there's always something that works better. The homemade kits fbody guys have used utilized parts that were typically less than an aftermarket kit but far superior than oem

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 Brakes

Quick Reply: ZR-1 Brakes