Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Happy Humpday:)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Garagebabe
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy Humpday:)

Hello Guys I'm new here I just got a 69 vette I'm going to paint soon. I don't have a gun and will be painting in my garage. I have time to buff afterwards etc. what gun to buy ? 150.00--275.00 range ? I want the best results as possible of course and thank you so much for your input. I will post my pic as soon as they let me.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome to the Forum, Brandi!
In the General Corvette Topics section is an area addressing paint and body work:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body-138/
This may provide some insight for you. You may also find some painting tips, as well as car maintenance input in the C3 section of the Forum.
Best wishes with your painting efforts.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Route99
In the General Corvette Topics section is an area addressing paint and body work:
This may provide some insight for you. You may also find some painting tips, as well as car maintenance input in the C3 section of the Forum.
'69, a great year to own. Good luck and welcome aboard
Old 09-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats and welcome to the forum!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,288 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving this to Paint/Body.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Forum.

A few questions so I can get a grasp on what you do know and may not know.

Have you ever painted a car before?

What color are you planning on painting the car???

Are you planning on shooting singe stage paint or basecoat/clearcoat???

The reason for these questions is that the size of fluid tip is what will determine on what you can paint with it. An experienced painter can adjust a paint gun and shoot with just about anything....but they have years of knowing what to look for when the paint is being applied...which is why I asked if you have ever painted a car before.

As for a paint gun in the price range you are asking for.....I do not know of any due to I use the really expensive paint guns at my shop. But that is not saying that an inexpensive gun could not do the job...but it might take some adjusting and practice to get whatever paint you plan on using to apply correctly.

When you decide on the type, of paint you plan on using....obtain the technical bulletin sheet on that product and it will let you know hat size fluid tip it best for that paint...and that will also mean the clearcoat you use if you plan on applying clearcoat.

I believe some Corvette Forum members bought paint guns from Harbor freight and were satisfied with them.

DUB
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Garagebabe
8th Gear

Default why thank you Dub !!!

Ive shot 2 cars before,, Im going to use basecoat/clearcoat and plan on several clear coats with sanding/buffing also.
Im only doing this as a hobby for my own car
only lol.. I can spend about 250.00 thank you kind Sir

Originally Posted by DUB
Welcome to the Corvette Forum.

A few questions so I can get a grasp on what you do know and may not know.

Have you ever painted a car before?

What color are you planning on painting the car???

Are you planning on shooting singe stage paint or basecoat/clearcoat???

The reason for these questions is that the size of fluid tip is what will determine on what you can paint with it. An experienced painter can adjust a paint gun and shoot with just about anything....but they have years of knowing what to look for when the paint is being applied...which is why I asked if you have ever painted a car before.

As for a paint gun in the price range you are asking for.....I do not know of any due to I use the really expensive paint guns at my shop. But that is not saying that an inexpensive gun could not do the job...but it might take some adjusting and practice to get whatever paint you plan on using to apply correctly.

When you decide on the type, of paint you plan on using....obtain the technical bulletin sheet on that product and it will let you know hat size fluid tip it best for that paint...and that will also mean the clearcoat you use if you plan on applying clearcoat.

I believe some Corvette Forum members bought paint guns from Harbor freight and were satisfied with them.

DUB
Old 09-21-2017, 05:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Garagebabe
Ive shot 2 cars before,, Im going to use basecoat/clearcoat and plan on several clear coats with sanding/buffing also.
Im only doing this as a hobby for my own car
only lol.. I can spend about 250.00 thank you kind Sir

Thanks for answering the questions.

With you having two paint jobs 'under your belt' so-to-speak. Making sure the paint gun you buy will have the correct fluid tips or needle sizes to shoot the basecoat and clearcoat will be what is needed.

Also verify that the clearcoat you use can be applied with numerous coats. Some clears do not like excessive film build at the time of clearcoating.....and what is often times done ( like I do some times) is 'double dip' the clearcoat...and by that I mean I shoot my three coats of clear...let it dry....then sand it well so I know it is dull and prepped correctly and then apply another 2 or 3 coats....because the clear I use I can not apply 6 coats in one session....it can be dangerous doing that and cause for possible solvent pops to show up or other problems due to the clear is way too thick.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 09-21-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Garagebabe
8th Gear

Thank you Dub, thats very sweet to give me tips I will be sure to buy quality products..

Originally Posted by DUB

Thanks for answering the questions.

With you having two paint jobs 'under your belt' so-to-speak. Making sure the paint gun you buy will have the correct fluid tips or needle sizes to shoot the basecoat and clearcoat will be what is needed.

Also verify that the clearcoat you use can be applied with numerous coats. Some clears do not like excessive film build at the time of clearcoating.....and what is often times done ( like I do some times) is 'double dip' the clearcoat...and by that I mean I shoot my three coats of clear...let it dry....then sand it well so I know it is dull and prepped correctly and then apply another 2 or 3 coats....because the clear I use I can not apply 6 coats in one session....it can be dangerous doing that and cause for possible solvent pops to show up or other problems due to the clear is way too thick.

DUB
Old 09-21-2017, 07:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Getting all of your 'ducks in a row' should make it so your third paint job will meet your expectations. Hopefully you do not run into any problems.

DUB
Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Garagebabe
8th Gear

pinning my hair back and covering it is actually a challenge with a paint suit on so i got a bigger size to cover and also a hat..lol but i refuse to break a nail ok ? haha.. thank you very much Mr. Dub :0 your sweet

Originally Posted by DUB
Getting all of your 'ducks in a row' should make it so your third paint job will meet your expectations. Hopefully you do not run into any problems.

DUB
Old 09-22-2017, 05:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Just doing what I can to help you out...because painting a car...can be a challenge at times.

I also have long hair and you are aware that they sell 'head socks' at the paint and body stores. They are pretty cheap.

If I don't wear a head sock and I clear a car...when I am done. I can not drag a comb or brush through my hair due it is like I used some industrial grade hairspray. It reminds me of the 'Aquanet' hair spray my mom used back in the day...her hair was so hard and stayed so well in place...a tornado could not move it.

But if your hat works for you...then I guess all is good. I can not wear a hat when painting...my fear is it would fall off and land in the wet clear....that is my luck. And knowing that 100 things can go wrong at any time during a paint job..I have to do whatever I can to make that number less.

DUB
Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Garagebabe
8th Gear

headsock did you say ? hmmm excuse me for a second ( hahahahahahaha) ok im back thanks for the tip because
my hair also takes a long time when i condition etc..
Painting a car is fun but i must look good

Originally Posted by DUB
Just doing what I can to help you out...because painting a car...can be a challenge at times.

I also have long hair and you are aware that they sell 'head socks' at the paint and body stores. They are pretty cheap.

If I don't wear a head sock and I clear a car...when I am done. I can not drag a comb or brush through my hair due it is like I used some industrial grade hairspray. It reminds me of the 'Aquanet' hair spray my mom used back in the day...her hair was so hard and stayed so well in place...a tornado could not move it.

But if your hat works for you...then I guess all is good. I can not wear a hat when painting...my fear is it would fall off and land in the wet clear....that is my luck. And knowing that 100 things can go wrong at any time during a paint job..I have to do whatever I can to make that number less.

DUB
Old 09-22-2017, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Garagebabe
headsock did you say ? hmmm excuse me for a second ( hahahahahahaha) ok im back thanks for the tip because
my hair also takes a long time when i condition etc..
Painting a car is fun but i must look good
Gotta love it!

I have given up on looking good when I am suited up to paint a car. Actually..I have never given it any thought. I guess I am too focused on the job at hand instead of trying to impress the 'ladies'.

There is literally NO exposed skin when I am ready to paint a car. With today's paints being so nasty and damaging to the body and nervous system it is wise to do just that. But I know some guys who paint with no respirator or anything to protect themselves..

Lets see...I wear......a Tyvek paint suit, head sock, full face fresh air breathing mask, Nitrile gloves, boot cover for my boots, and (depending on the time of the year and how hot it is out) 2 forehead sweat bands around my wrists so I do not drip sweat out of the gloves.

CRITICAL TIP!!!!!

If you wear gloves when painting and then when you go can clean up your paint guns and use lacquer thinner to do so. And you had these gloves on for a good while... you better NOT allow the thinner to hit your bare hands that were protected by the gloves.

Due to your pores will be more than likely open..and that thinner touching and getting into the open pores...it will begin to burn as bad if you put your hands in a fire...and it takes some time for it to stop...and I am commenting from experience.

Just like NEVER put a lightly damp or soaked paper towel with lacquer thinner in your back pocket or you will feel the same thing.

And NEVER put a paper towel or wiper with wax and grease remover in your pocket...it will not burn like fire...but it will cause your skin to peel like you had bad sunburn.

All of these I have experienced....so hopefully your are careful and be safe.

DUB
Old 09-22-2017, 07:53 PM
Garagebabe
8th Gear

ewww your scaring me now , but i do like the Bunny Suit,,,,,, idea
I need a cold beer and pedi lol
Originally Posted by DUB
Gotta love it!

I have given up on looking good when I am suited up to paint a car. Actually..I have never given it any thought. I guess I am too focused on the job at hand instead of trying to impress the 'ladies'.

There is literally NO exposed skin when I am ready to paint a car. With today's paints being so nasty and damaging to the body and nervous system it is wise to do just that. But I know some guys who paint with no respirator or anything to protect themselves..

Lets see...I wear......a Tyvek paint suit, head sock, full face fresh air breathing mask, Nitrile gloves, boot cover for my boots, and (depending on the time of the year and how hot it is out) 2 forehead sweat bands around my wrists so I do not drip sweat out of the gloves.

CRITICAL TIP!!!!!

If you wear gloves when painting and then when you go can clean up your paint guns and use lacquer thinner to do so. And you had these gloves on for a good while... you better NOT allow the thinner to hit your bare hands that were protected by the gloves.

Due to your pores will be more than likely open..and that thinner touching and getting into the open pores...it will begin to burn as bad if you put your hands in a fire...and it takes some time for it to stop...and I am commenting from experience.

Just like NEVER put a lightly damp or soaked paper towel with lacquer thinner in your back pocket or you will feel the same thing.

And NEVER put a paper towel or wiper with wax and grease remover in your pocket...it will not burn like fire...but it will cause your skin to peel like you had bad sunburn.

All of these I have experienced....so hopefully your are careful and be safe.

DUB
Old 09-22-2017, 07:59 PM
Garagebabe
8th Gear

paper towel in my pocket ? haha ok never thought painting a car would be so funny lol
Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 PM
Garagebabe
8th Gear

thank you Sir

Originally Posted by Route99

Get notified of new replies

To Happy Humpday:)

Quick Reply: Happy Humpday:)