C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flaming River FR312PW Kit 1978 Corvette.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Default Flaming River FR312PW Kit 1978 Corvette.

Has anyone tried installing this Steering Kit.

Flaming River FR312PW.

I am looking to replace the stock steering parts with something more suitable for track days. The stock steering was okay for street driving but for track days there is to much play and poor steering response, oh at it leaks to often.

The only thing I see as a problem is the steering linkage from the column to the rack may hit/ interfere with the headers.

Anyone have any experience / bad things to report on this kit.

Any other R&P kits that would be better for track days ?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:20 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Just curious as to why you are not looking also at the borgeson box which eliminates the steering rod and balance valve plus has 12:1 ratio?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:26 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Just curious as to why you are not looking also at the borgeson box which eliminates the steering rod and balance valve plus has 12:1 ratio?
No room for this big box next to my shorty headers, Doesn't eliminate the PS Ram from what I can see. 12.1 ratio isn't a plus for me at the track. I only use 1/4 turn at the track and 12.1 would make it more sensitive.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I bought that kit for my 68. It did not fit. I am running headers and side pipes on a big block. I like the idea of the cradle and it is very beefy, but had to pound it in with a dead blow hammer to get the bolt holes to line up. Also, where the rod connects to the steering box was going to take a lot of header modification to make it work. The rack itself was going to hit on the oil pan. I ended up sending the kit back. It was returned with no questions or issues.
However, it looked like it was very well made. My frame could of been a touch off as it is almost fifty years old. I did run into some people at a car show who had early C-3's and they had the same problems with Flaming River.
Ended up with a Steeroids kit that had no fitment issues. Steering box was over far enough for the headers to clear. The rack mounts on three pieces that are bolted together and I had one inch of clearance under the oil pan. Tight, but it fit. Only hard part was getting the steering wheel to line up dead center. So far so good, but it kind of feels like the turning radius is not what it should be. I measured it and found it was improved by three feet, so not sure what to tell you on that.
Yes, it made a huge improvement on the car, but the Flaming River kit probably would of done the same thing.
Sadly, my car has yet to see a track day.
The following users liked this post:
cagotzmann (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 04:52 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
No room for this big box next to my shorty headers, Doesn't eliminate the PS Ram from what I can see. 12.1 ratio isn't a plus for me at the track. I only use 1/4 turn at the track and 12.1 would make it more sensitive.
Yes the Borg conversion does eliminate the OEM steer cylinder, and if you think the 12.1 ratio is to sensitive the R/P is even more sensitive. T
Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lobzila
Ended up with a Steeroids kit that had no fitment issues. Sadly, my car has yet to see a track day.
Some people have said the brackets from the steroids needs reinforcement if used for track days, they flex to much. I don't know if this is true since the people making the statements didn't drive there cars on a road course for track days.

How thick are the brackets steroids vs Flaming River.

But the biggest thing I don't like about both is the connection kludge (U-joints) from the steering column to the rack. This just looks like a disaster waiting to happen at the track. Binding issues and a connection coming loose or breaking ?
Old 09-22-2017, 03:17 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

The 6t8 has Steeroids R/P for the last 10 years with almost 30 days of track time. The front wheels are 9.5 width and with slicks on then you can go deep into corners, which puts a lot of stress on the steering, so far to this date I've had zero issues with the steering. I went with Steeroids because I didn't like the cradle that the Flaming River system uses. T
cagotzmann (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 08:26 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I love my Flaming River manual rack now that I got the bugs worked out. It fit with Hooker headers and Sidepipes, VB&P Performance plus suspension with transverse dual mount leaf spring, Hamberger oil pan just barely and a lot of cussing. The cradle stiffened up the entire front end noticeably. No power assist. steering wheel seems hooked directly to the tires, like a go kart. It is a little stiff when parking but better than the stock box by far. Road handling is phenomenal but the only downside is you feel everything the tires touch in the wheel. Handling is incredible. Will NEVER leak.
Attached Images      

Last edited by 63mako; 09-22-2017 at 08:34 PM.
cagotzmann (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
The 6t8 has Steeroids R/P for the last 10 years with almost 30 days of track time. The front wheels are 9.5 width and with slicks on then you can go deep into corners, which puts a lot of stress on the steering, so far to this date I've had zero issues with the steering. I went with Steeroids because I didn't like the cradle that the Flaming River system uses. T
Thanks good to know. I have 18 x 9.5" wheels with NT01 tires and the stock steering is being stressed. I also like the ability to adjust the tie rods (bump steer) which should help also to limit camber changes during hard cornering.

Thank. How did it fit past the exhaust manifolds / headers.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:44 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63mako
I love my Flaming River manual rack now that I got the bugs worked out. It fit with Hooker headers and Sidepipes, VB&P Performance plus suspension with transverse dual mount leaf spring, Hamberger oil pan just barely and a lot of cussing. The cradle stiffened up the entire front end noticeably. No power assist. steering wheel seems hooked directly to the tires, like a go kart. It is a little stiff when parking but better than the stock box by far. Road handling is phenomenal but the only downside is you feel everything the tires touch in the wheel. Handling is incredible. Will NEVER leak.
Thanks, a tight fit. I contacted flaming river, their only concern is the header clearance for the power steering unit. It would be nice to know / mock up to see how it fits. Being in Canada returning an item from the US doesn't work well. I need to get it right the first time.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:40 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Thanks good to know. I have 18 x 9.5" wheels with NT01 tires and the stock steering is being stressed. I also like the ability to adjust the tie rods (bump steer) which should help also to limit camber changes during hard cornering.

Thank. How did it fit past the exhaust manifolds / headers.
SBC with the same suspension as 63 Mako with Hedman headers, absolutely no clearance problems. I had only seen Flaming Rivers systems on paper and it seemed that the cradle would cause a ground clearance issue, but now after seeing 63Mako setup installed that is a non issue and frame stiffing is always a good idea. T
Old 09-23-2017, 08:05 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Do you have a picture of the rack to tie rod connection.

I am interested on how this connection looks for alignment adjustments.

Also did you have to collapse the steering column to fit ?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:06 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
SBC with the same suspension as 63 Mako with Hedman headers, absolutely no clearance problems. I had only seen Flaming Rivers systems on paper and it seemed that the cradle would cause a ground clearance issue, but now after seeing 63Mako setup installed that is a non issue and frame stiffing is always a good idea. T
Did you need to collapse the steering column to fit ?
Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

So what's the serviceability of the units when they fail.

I see Flaming River has service parts.

Are their service parts available for steroids ?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Did you need to collapse the steering column to fit ?
No mods to steer column. If memory serves me right the rack itself is a standard GM issue part, rod ends are standard hiem rod ends and the linkage is all available from Steeroids. A gf of mine had a 2003 mid-sized chevy with over 250k miles on it and never had to work on the steering. T
Old 09-24-2017, 04:14 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Do you have a picture of the rack to tie rod connection.

I am interested on how this connection looks for alignment adjustments.

Also did you have to collapse the steering column to fit ?
Found some pictures.

T
Old 09-24-2017, 04:32 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Some people have said the brackets from the steroids needs reinforcement if used for track days, they flex to much. I don't know if this is true since the people making the statements didn't drive there cars on a road course for track days.

How thick are the brackets steroids vs Flaming River.

But the biggest thing I don't like about both is the connection kludge (U-joints) from the steering column to the rack. This just looks like a disaster waiting to happen at the track. Binding issues and a connection coming loose or breaking ?
Brackets are close to the same thickness, but the Flaming River kit was a one piece welded unit, versus the three piece bolted together one. The FR kit uses the original tie rod ends and the Steeroids has a better set up there that is included. Neither kit hung below the headers and side pipes so ground clearance was not going to be an issue. But one didn't fit so no matter how good it was or wasn't, it still did not work.
Good luck, both kits are a huge improvement over stock, just be prepared to send one back if it does not fit.

Last edited by Lobzila; 09-24-2017 at 04:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Flaming River FR312PW Kit 1978 Corvette.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:16 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

With the U-joints from the steering to Rack, where their any problems with access to the spark plugs # 1,3. Any problems getting the tools to remove and install.

I have angled plug heads so I don't need anything blocking access to the # 1 plug. It already a problem with the current steering in place.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:20 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

With the U-joints from the steering to Rack, where their any problems with access to the spark plugs # 1,3. Any problems getting the tools to remove and install.

I have angled plug heads so I don't need anything blocking access to the # 1 plug. It already a problem with the current steering in place.
I did not need to collapse the column. My Ididit column was exactly the same length as stock and noncollapsable. The linkage from the column to the rack comes nowhere near the sparkplugs. Why go power? Manual rack is awesome IMHO.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:39 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63mako
I did not need to collapse the column. My Ididit column was exactly the same length as stock and noncollapsable. The linkage from the column to the rack comes nowhere near the sparkplugs. Why go power? Manual rack is awesome IMHO.
Power Steering is part of my serpentine system, not sure if there is a power steering delete function / dummy pully.

Also I am not sure how it would drive on the road course, steering might be a little heavy.

I would need to test drive a manual corvette to see if I like it.

The idea to remove any chance of a leaking system is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Flaming River FR312PW Kit 1978 Corvette.