C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Advice on Possible Purchase of 1973 Corvette Stingray?

Old 09-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Rem152
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Advice on Possible Purchase of 1973 Corvette Stingray?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forums and hope to be a permanent member I recently came across this ad for a 73 and I wanted to know what everyone thinks as far as price is concerned. I do know that was an AC car, but does not have the unit it also needs one of the vaccum lines fixed for the left headlight and no radio. Since many of you own multiple C3's I'd like to know what you guys think. I have received alot of the receipts, but I wanted to get feedback before pulling the trigger as this would be a vehicle for me and my old man who had a stroke 4 years back to tinker on and to keep him active. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I can only get so much information online, but I'm trying to get a mechanic to come out and check the car if possible. I plan on making a 4 hour drive out to Orlando from Miami to see it. So if anyone is in the area that could help out I have a 6 pack of beer and $50 bucks for your time.

Once again thank you and moderators if I posted this in the wrong section I apologize. Here is the link.

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/...278864215.html

Last edited by Rem152; 09-20-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Looks like a nice car , pictures are nice but none are from the underneath so its anyone's guess just what's going on down there.

Have you read the ten rules of buying a c3 in the sticky section ? (at the top) .

A mechanic to check is better than nothing but a mechanic/body guy with vette experience would be a better choice .

The problem with these cars is being a glass body , they can look awesome ,but underneath rust has got into the steel frames and birdcage (metal frame/windscreen surround which has the body glued on it !) not saying that has it , but it wont show with those pics .

You should ask the seller to send more pics of inside, underneath etc.

First thing I noticed is a POSSIBLE problem with the hood surround coming unglued between the headlights . See how the hood gap "disappears " as the panel is now free to rise up . Sorry for being picky but at least you know what to ask about
Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 PM
mchar
Race Director

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm sure you know Cortez silver and sidepipes were not original to 73's.
The outside of the car looks sharp.
And how can you have a 383 stroker yet all numbers match??
Don't buy the story, buy the car. (meaning check everything thoroughly yourself, do not
rely on the sellers' story.)
Posted 27 days ago and hasn't sold, so it's not a steal.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:09 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Originally Posted by mchar
I'm sure you know Cortez silver and sidepipes were not original to 73's.
The outside of the car looks sharp.
And how can you have a 383 stroker yet all numbers match??
Don't buy the story, buy the car. (meaning check everything thoroughly yourself, do not
rely on the sellers' story.)
Posted 27 days ago and hasn't sold, so it's not a steal.

Agree with the above. He says "all numbers match" then describes the replacement engine, everything under the hood plus aftermarket pipes and headers and paint.

I don't think I could take a single word he says as credible after that. Did he mean "no numbers match?"
The following users liked this post:
ariba (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 06:47 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: I think the asking price is on the high side.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Rem,
This is probably a sharp LOOKING car to some folks, but not to others!

It's now really a 73 Corvette that has been made into a hot rod.
Doing this is very popular with some folks, but not everyone.
The question needs to be asked… how well were the modifications he describes done? He certainly seems to be good at throwing 'lingo' around which makes me wonder about what the car ACTUALLY is.

Working on this car and maintaining it MAY be a bit of a challenge because of the modifications done to it.

68+ Corvettes can have serious rust problems. The very first thing that needs to be done is to check the frame and birdcage for rust. There's no sense even thinking about it further if it's rusty.

If you don't know very much about 73 Corvettes I think it would be wise to have more of an opinion about it than can be bought with a beer and $50 BEFORE I spent $15,000.

Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Unless it turns out to be a VERY nice car, and the modifications are all well done, it seems like too much money by at least a few thousand dollars.

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-21-2017 at 08:59 AM.
ariba (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Ridgerunner 7.62
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 73 stingray

73 stingray. I looked at that add, and immediately found too much BS in the story to even go look at it , just my humble opinion
Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

could be a fun hot rod id verify the engne was a 350 or not
ask questions, lots
Old 09-21-2017, 10:12 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

I would go look at it if it's close by! If the paint is well done, and you like the silver, and the frame and cage are solid, most everything else is reversible....It is possible to stroke the original block and not wipe the numbers if, if one is careful. (Not likely though). If it has been for sale for a while maybe they take a lower cash offer. Definitely take someone with who knows what to look for! Good luck!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The car has been significantly modified. So, don't worry about the 'original' thing. If you like the car for what it is and the price seems right, dig in further and find out would the condition of the frame/birdcage and status of the drivetrain and operating systems.

P.S. If owner tells you "I'm just missing a vacuum line for the headlamp system.", that is 'seller-speak' for:

I haven't been able to get the dam* headlight system to work...so I'll remove a hose and say that's the problem.

Anything that doesn't work....doesn't work; and you must assume that it will cost significant money to fix. If that were not the case, the owner would already have fixed it....

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-22-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

With a new motor build, I would be posting all kinds of pics of the engine bay. Curious why he never included one...
ariba (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:23 AM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

The seller said he had the engine rebuilt not replaced. So if he used the original block he would still have a numbers matching engine. I would still want to talk to the engine rebuilder to confirm though.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:45 AM
ariba
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
With a new motor build, I would be posting all kinds of pics of the engine bay. Curious why he never included one...
Old 09-22-2017, 02:52 AM
ariba
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good looking care but just like they said check the frame and a lot of stuff. Price is a little high but if the paint job is good the price is ok. But it's not about the price and the looks it's about a good structural frame components and the engine will not break down on you.
My Opinion I like to swap a new engine crate SB or LS. I had a bad experience with my C3 but still loved the car. For the head lights you can change them to electric ones if you didn't care about the Originality mazda miata electric headlights motors and brackets will cost about $350.

Last edited by ariba; 09-22-2017 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

The cautions expressed are well worth taking. Used Corvettes in their original state are a challenge to keep operational and that is with the benefit of automotive manuals that reflect their mechanical condition. But then when they are modified...where's the guidance when it requires maintenance?

This article offers specifics to look for, including chassis items, and appeared in Corvette Magazine this past March. It includes some nice photos and what to look for in both early and late C3s.

Buying Right - C3

Hope this helps!
Old 09-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Rem,
Great looking car. Lots of good/mixed advice here. You'll have to wade through it all and make your own decision. I have owned many Corvettes and live by the rule "There are no bad Corvettes, some are just better than others". Every single year has it's unique features that make it great.
As you probably know '73 is a transitional year as, as such, the prices are usually slightly lower than the '68-'72's. (translation: good bang for your hard earned $$$). I have owned many Corvettes including a few '73's and I have to tell you I really like the 1973 model year. It is the first to do away with the less than stellar functioning wiper door of the earlier C3's which I believe is a huge improvement. The government sanctioned front bumper is as tastefully done as can be expected when it comes to aesthetics and function, which gives the '73 the distinction of being one of the most easily recognized Corvettes, even among novices.
My advice? Get off the fence and get in your first Corvette as quickly as you can. The earlier C3's are really starting to climb in value as evidenced here in Southern California, which is usually a precursor (automotively speaking) to what will follow with the rest of the nation. A quick search of the Los Angeles craigslist will confirm this. If you've seen the prices the C2's are bringing now, you know the C3's won't be far behind. The C3's are fast approaching their half a century birthday and, like real estate, they aren't making any more.
Good luck with your buy.
Greg
Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 PM
See 3
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Lots of great advice here, culminating from years of observations and decisions- both good and bad. First thing decide what year Corvette you really want to look at in your driveway and garage for the next however many years. Since you are planning to work on this car with your Dad it may be a hard one to let go 10 or 20 years from now so be sure you will be happy living both with it and the memories it will carry. Look at the parts for sale ads on eBay and with the on-line suppliers and you will understand what an expensive hobby this is. I love C3's but always looked at the 73' as an orphan child. As a young man I remember seeing those chrome-less front bumpers in the 70's when they were new and laughing at them, but to each his own. Take your time. There are literally thousands of Corvettes available. Look at a bunch of them before you jump in. Then enjoy the ride.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Some Advice on Possible Purchase of 1973 Corvette Stingray?

Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 PM
Rem152
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all both both the pro's and con's I truly apprieciate it and hopefully this turns out to be a good choice. I will keep you guys updated thanks.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Funny how things work out.
I just came across this '73 out here in the desert yesterday and grabbed it. The price was too good to pass it up. L-48, orig. drive train, automatic, A/C, Tilt/Tele, PW, PS, PB, Ralleys. Silver on Dark Red.
The usual story, owner took it apart to restore, ran out of steam, cash & interest. Everything is there and boxed up nicely with lots of new parts including a new aluminum radiator. Super clean/straight body. Drove it on the trailer. This should be a quick and easy project.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I think its not far off the price for new paint and a new motor.I would think the guy is selling at a loss.If that's true I would wonder why he wants to sell.you can stroke a motor with out taking off the factory numbers .get pics of the frame and here the motor run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Some Advice on Possible Purchase of 1973 Corvette Stingray?