C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell C6 for a Porsche Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:03 AM
MAYH3M
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sell C6 for a Porsche Cayman S?

I replaced my daily chevy malibu with a 2011 bmw 328i and i love the handling and glide like feeling in the beamer. So it got me thinking about other german made cars, so i test drove a 2006 cayman s. The car felt smooth and the clutch was buttery smooth. The acceleration was nothing like my vette, but it was fast enough to be fun.

My current vette is a heads cam 08 C6 base coupe with a pretty heavy duty racing clutch. If i could take it back ever modifying the car, especially the clutch, i would. But the car is built and i don't want to convert it back. If anything maybe the clutch.

My question is what is your take on ever selling a race built vette for a more subtle smooth porsche cayman s. After looking more into porsches, none of them really have the acceleration of a fully built vette, but are more focused on handling and comfort, and feel. Which ever since buying the beamer, i am really appreciating.

Any porsche owners here, any regrets from converting to or from corvette? Experience with porsche? Have you considered getting a porsche? Any thoughts about the porsche are appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew

Last edited by MAYH3M; 09-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Are you serious ?????
Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I know a couple of guys that have Cayman's and seem to like them. I've driven one of them and it really didn't do a lot for me.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

You are asking the wrong forum. I can only imagine that answers that will fill this thread.

However, there are some things you will want to research on Porsche's in general. If this is going to be a track focused type of car you'll want to do some reading. I would search some of the track forums around and even hope over to the Porsche forums and do your research.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM
Vet With A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I test drove the same year Cayman S while looking for my Vette. I absolutely loved the Porsche. What made me forget about it was the Corvette's power, it had me hooked instantly.

If I was doing it over today, I would choose the Porsche simply because it is of a way higher quality. The Vette has been a major let down in that department and I didn't realize how much I cared until owning it for a while.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 11:20 AM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I understand where you are coming from... If your Vette is a built daily... it can get tiresome .... You will love the Cayman but miss the C6 power
Old 09-21-2017, 11:21 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by MAYH3M
I replaced my daily chevy malibu with a 2011 bmw 328i and i love the handling and glide like feeling in the beamer. So it got me thinking about other german made cars, so i test drove a 2006 cayman s. The car felt smooth and the clutch was buttery smooth. The acceleration was nothing like my vette, but it was fast enough to be fun.

My current vette is a heads cam 08 C6 base coupe with a pretty heavy duty racing clutch. If i could take it back ever modifying the car, especially the clutch, i would. But the car is built and i don't want to convert it back. If anything maybe the clutch.

My question is what is your take on ever selling a race built vette for a more subtle smooth porsche cayman s. After looking more into porsches, none of them really have the acceleration of a fully built vette, but are more focused on handling and comfort, and feel. Which ever since buying the beamer, i am really appreciating.

Any porsche owners here, any regrets from converting to or from corvette? Experience with porsche? Have you considered getting a porsche? Any thoughts about the porsche are appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew
Morning Matthew, I own a 2013 Boxster S which is nothing more than a convertible Cayman. I absolutely love that car. if push came to shove and I was forced to give up one, my 2012 GS would be the one to go. That being said, the car you are looking at is a 2nd gen Cayman and I'm not sure of the timeline but some of that generation had an issue with the IMS bearing. Google Porsche IMS bearing and you should get all the info you need. Also, don't know about the smooth aspect, my 2013 Boxster S is a much stiffer ride. One other suggestion, if you look at 2013 and newer Caymans, drive one with the PDK transmission, you might just have a epiphany like I did. Yes, my Boxster S has the PDK and I don't miss the third pedal at all.
So, while I know 1st and 2nd gen Cayman owners and they love their cars, I am a 3rd gen owner, and I love my Boxster S. You are right when you say that power isn't the only thing to consider. Would I own this car again? In a heartbeat!
But one other thing, the Porsche tax makes the Corvette tax look minor.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:49 AM
MAYH3M
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
You are asking the wrong forum. I can only imagine that answers that will fill this thread.

However, there are some things you will want to research on Porsche's in general. If this is going to be a track focused type of car you'll want to do some reading. I would search some of the track forums around and even hope over to the Porsche forums and do your research.
Thanks for the reply, this car will not be tracked, neither is my current car. I am thinking of registering on a porsche forum, thanks for the idea

Originally Posted by 2L8LUZ
I understand where you are coming from... If your Vette is a built daily... it can get tiresome .... You will love the Cayman but miss the C6 power
It is not a daily, but it is still a pain in the ***. I remember the good ole days when she was just bolt ons with a stock clutch. I was actually thinking of selling it and getting a low miles c6 z51. Basically starting over lol

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Morning Matthew, I own a 2013 Boxster S which is nothing more than a convertible Cayman. I absolutely love that car. if push came to shove and I was forced to give up one, my 2012 GS would be the one to go. That being said, the car you are looking at is a 2nd gen Cayman and I'm not sure of the timeline but some of that generation had an issue with the IMS bearing. Google Porsche IMS bearing and you should get all the info you need. Also, don't know about the smooth aspect, my 2013 Boxster S is a much stiffer ride. One other suggestion, if you look at 2013 and newer Caymans, drive one with the PDK transmission, you might just have a epiphany like I did. Yes, my Boxster S has the PDK and I don't miss the third pedal at all.
So, while I know 1st and 2nd gen Cayman owners and they love their cars, I am a 3rd gen owner, and I love my Boxster S. You are right when you say that power isn't the only thing to consider. Would I own this car again? In a heartbeat!
But one other thing, the Porsche tax makes the Corvette tax look minor.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Thank you for this response. I have indeed read up on the IMS issue but learned that it is actually rare. The car i guess felt smoother than my car. Less road noise and bumps, it had a tighter steering wheel than my vette too, so does my beamer. The vette can take a turn though i will tell you that, it just "feels" better in the porsche and bmw. Part of the reason i started to consider the porsche cayman s too is that what i was led to believe about porsche maintenance and parts are false. In fact a lot of the parts, for the cayman s at least, are alot cheaper than my vette parts. Mind you i only looked at clutch costs, brakes, etc compared to my vette. I will say though after driving that car i almost want to consolidate my vehicles into just owning the porsche. I could drive it every day and beat it up on the weekends. My heads cam mint conditioned vette gets a lot of attention and its beautiful, but at the end of the day do i enjoy the actually driving it, so so.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:59 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I'd skip the Gayman and get a 911 instead. Other than maintenance and repair worries, I'd dump my vette today for the right 911.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:10 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Old 09-21-2017, 01:17 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19
Default Faced similar situation

I was looking at a 1-2 year old Cayman (base or S) to be a daily driver after selling my DD coupe (FR-S).

Some things to consider...
- Compare cost of regular maintenance (Vette to Porsche)
(The oil change cost alone might deter you....)

- Do you ever need to carry a set of golf clubs?
(If "Y", you might consider another option)

I ended up getting a 2015 Audi S5 Coupe and I'm really pleased.... very high performance with the supercharged v6 but smooth, quiet, and comfortable for long drives (and it will accommodate 4 adults). In Dynamic/Sport mode, my Butt Dyno says it's as quick as my base C6 Vert -- but w/o all the fun NVH that is kind of part and parcel of the Vette-thing.

And.. during a recent weekend getaway, I was able to carry two suitcases, set of golf clubs, and misc. stuff that the wife "had to bring" -- and still had room for some purchases the wife "had to get...".

Don't get me wrong... I love Porsches! But in my particular case, going with another high performance German car was a better choice. And best of both worlds... I am lucky enough to have the Vert for the days when I need a Corvette-Fix!

Good luck with the hunt!

Last edited by OlyC6; 09-21-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 PM
ojand
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id dump my c6 over a porsch cayman or 911 too, problem is its expensive, where as c6 is dirt cheap and does the job
Old 09-21-2017, 03:27 PM
ncstingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know what you have been smoking but I will take my 2010 or 2015 Cayman S any day over my 2014 Carrera S.

Name:  KxhhzDt.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  503 Bytes

Originally Posted by 919cw313
I'd skip the Gayman and get a 911 instead. Other than maintenance and repair worries, I'd dump my vette today for the right 911.

Last edited by ncstingray; 09-21-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:34 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ncstingray
I don't know what you have been smoking but I will take my 2010 or 2015 Cayman S any day over my 2014 Carrera S.

I would agree with this. Real HONEST Porsche folks will tell you that the Cayman/Boxster is the BEST handling car Porsche makes. They are held back in the power area because if they gave them the same power as the 911, 911 sales would probably tank.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 PM
ncstingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Independent shops are no higher on the Porsche as the C7

Golf clubs......You got me there. I think the 911 and the useless back seat is the best.

Originally Posted by OlyC6
I was looking at a 1-2 year old Cayman (base or S) to be a daily driver after selling my DD coupe (FR-S).

Some things to consider...
- Compare cost of regular maintenance (Vette to Porsche)
(The oil change cost alone might deter you....)

- Do you ever need to carry a set of golf clubs?
(If "Y", you might consider another option)

I ended up getting a 2015 Audi S5 Coupe and I'm really pleased.... very high performance with the supercharged v6 but smooth, quiet, and comfortable for long drives (and it will accommodate 4 adults). In Dynamic/Sport mode, my Butt Dyno says it's as quick as my base C6 Vert -- but w/o all the fun NVH that is kind of part and parcel of the Vette-thing.

And.. during a recent weekend getaway, I was able to carry two suitcases, set of golf clubs, and misc. stuff that the wife "had to bring" -- and still had room for some purchases the wife "had to get...".

Don't get me wrong... I love Porsches! But in my particular case, going with another high performance German car was a better choice. And best of both worlds... I am lucky enough to have the Vert for the days when I need a Corvette-Fix!

Good luck with the hunt!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:37 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MAYH3M
Thank you for this response. I have indeed read up on the IMS issue but learned that it is actually rare. The car i guess felt smoother than my car. Less road noise and bumps, it had a tighter steering wheel than my vette too, so does my beamer. The vette can take a turn though i will tell you that, it just "feels" better in the porsche and bmw. Part of the reason i started to consider the porsche cayman s too is that what i was led to believe about porsche maintenance and parts are false. In fact a lot of the parts, for the cayman s at least, are alot cheaper than my vette parts. Mind you i only looked at clutch costs, brakes, etc compared to my vette. I will say though after driving that car i almost want to consolidate my vehicles into just owning the porsche. I could drive it every day and beat it up on the weekends. My heads cam mint conditioned vette gets a lot of attention and its beautiful, but at the end of the day do i enjoy the actually driving it, so so.
Let me know where you are getting Porsche parts cheaply. The dealer wanted $120 for the two replacement wiper blades, not the whole arm just the replacements. UGH. I found them both aftermarket for $60 which is fairly reasonable. And the dealer gets $250 for an oil change. I provide the filters and oil and drops the price to about $150.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 09-21-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:38 PM
ncstingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Amen brother! All it takes is a little windshield time behind the wheels of each to reach that conclusion.

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I would agree with this. Real HONEST Porsche folks will tell you that the Cayman/Boxster is the BEST handling car Porsche makes. They are held back in the power area because if they gave them the same power as the 911, 911 sales would probably tank.
The following users liked this post:
OlyC6 (09-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Sell C6 for a Porsche Cayman S?

Old 09-21-2017, 03:38 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by ncstingray
... I will take my 2010 or 2015 Cayman S any day over my 2014 Carrera S.
Anyone who cares... check out what Porsche did with this year's IMSA GTLM rigs.... engine pushed forward (almost mid-engine) and they have been tearing it up and finishing well this season. (Wonder where they got that idea????)

Cayman S is a well engineered machine... and is on my "list." Not saying it's better or worse than a Vette... but it is different (in good ways) both in terms of performance and style.

Vettes has always been the value when it comes to the level of performance it provides. Start inching up the ladder of ANY brands/models that the Vette competes with and one best have a tad more resources...

Last edited by OlyC6; 09-21-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:42 PM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

I went c6 instead of the Boxster S due to the IMS bearing issue.

Imagine having to replace the entire engine due to a worn seal. It happens.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:45 PM
ncstingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Porsche just cannot see the forest for the trees to see what they have in the Cayman. I have seen many GT4 at VIR and haven't been that impressed and I think it is mainly because of the lack of power.

As an owner of both a Porsche and a C7 Z06 I don't think I would give up the C7 for either the Cayman or the 911.

Originally Posted by OlyC6
Anyone who cares... check out what Porsche did with this year's IMSA GTLM rigs.... engine pushed forward (almost mid-engine) and they have been tearing it up and finishing well this season. (Wonder where they got that idea????)

Cayman S is a well engineered machine... and is on my "list." Not saying it's better or worse than a Vette... but it is different (in good ways) both in terms of performance and style.

Quick Reply: Sell C6 for a Porsche Cayman S?