C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls7 based engine in 04 z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 PM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ls7 based engine in 04 z06

First, yes I have searched.

I am having a Ls7 based 440 built for my z06 and am currently trying to get all of the small stuff worked out. The engine will have ls7 based heads. I am planning to get a mamo ported MSD intake for it, which takes ls7 fuel rails. I am planning to use aftermarket motor mounts that let the engine sit just a touch lower to help with any clearance issues. The engine is being built by TSP, 24x reluctor, and their conversion package for all the sensors and stuff. I will be retaining the wetsump system.

Now, on to my questions:

Throttle body, is Nick Williams the only game in town for a 102 DBW tb?

How about the intake system in front of the tb?

fuel rails, the ls7 MSD intake uses ls7 fuel rails, I assume they are different from my ls6 fuel rails and that I will need to purchase ls7 fuel rails? If so does that mean I will need an external pressure regulator?

headers, the car currently has ARH 1 3/4 headers, I want to upgrade these, will the ARH 2" headers work with my existing ARH x pipe? Also, will the motor mounts sitting the engine a fraction of an inch lower cause clearance issues with them?

What clutch would everyone recommend? Also, the car has 110k miles on it and I just had my second slave cylinder fail, is there a solution for this?

I am just trying to get everything ironed out ahead of time so that the install goes smoothly... If you see anything details that I am overlooking please let me know.

Forgive grammar and typing errors as I am using my phone and it is terrible.

Thanks!

Last edited by VeTTeMaNC486; 09-21-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486

I am having a Ls7 based 440 built for my z06 and am currently trying to get all of the small stuff worked out. The engine will have ls7 based heads. I am planning to get a mamo ported MSD intake for it, which takes ls7 fuel rails. I am planning to use aftermarket motor mounts that let the engine sit just a touch lower to help with any clearance issues. The engine is being built by TSP, 24x reluctor, and their conversion package for all the sensors and stuff. I will be retaining the wetsump system.

Now, on to my questions:

fuel rails, the ls7 MSD intake uses ls7 fuel rails, I assume they are different from my ls6 fuel rails and that I will need to purchase ls7 fuel rails? If so does that mean I will need an external pressure regulator?

headers, the car currently has ARH 1 3/4 headers, I want to upgrade these, will the ARH 2" headers work with my existing ARH x pipe? Also, will the motor mounts sitting the engine a fraction of an inch lower cause clearance issues with them?

What clutch would everyone recommend? Also, the car has 110k miles on it and I just had my second slave cylinder fail, is there a solution for this?

I am just trying to get everything ironed out ahead of time so that the install goes smoothly... If you see anything details that I am overlooking please let me know.

Thanks!
I would use one of the better cold air intakes. I have the VARARAM.

Contact Chris or Doug at ECS for the clutch recommendation. They build all sorts of crazy high HP cars and stay pretty much on top of what clutch works and what doesn't.

As for the Slave. Some vendor on here makes a new and improved slave cylinder that gets rid of the plastic crap spindle that the piston slides over. ECS may have that info also.

What other drive train mods are you going to implement? TRACTION/WHEEL HOP and parts breakage will be the NEXT thing to address..

Check this out:

- C5, ragtopws6 , Upgrading your C5 rear with C6 Z06 guts, : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html
-

- C5, Its_Go_Time, Output Shaft Install - Left and Right: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573407966

- C5 Differential Seal replacement: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-photos.html

What shocks and suspension are you be running?

Bill
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 01:56 PM
VeTTeMaNC486
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I would use one of the better cold air intakes. I have the VARARAM.

Contact Chris or Doug at ECS for the clutch recommendation. They build all sorts of crazy high HP cars and stay pretty much on top of what clutch works and what doesn't.

As for the Slave. Some vendor on here makes a new and improved slave cylinder that gets rid of the plastic crap spindle that the piston slides over. ECS may have that info also.

What other drive train mods are you going to implement? TRACTION/WHEEL HOP and parts breakage will be the NEXT thing to address..

Check this out:

- C5, ragtopws6 , Upgrading your C5 rear with C6 Z06 guts, : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-z06-guts.html
-

- C5, Its_Go_Time, Output Shaft Install - Left and Right: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1573407966

- C5 Differential Seal replacement: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...on-photos.html

What shocks and suspension are you be running?

Bill
I have a vararam, looking for something with a larger opening to support the 102mm.

Thank you for the suggestions on the clutch and the info on the slave cylinder, I will look into that.

The trans/diff/suspension is currently stock. It will probably stay that way for a bit, not a lot left after dropping this kind of cash for the engine. Had been planning on just leaving street tires on it so that it wouldn't get enough traction to break things... but, trans and diff will be the next investment, it will just take a little bit to build back up the funds.

ETA: thanks for those links, that is some awesome info!

Last edited by VeTTeMaNC486; 09-21-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:39 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486

Now, on to my questions:

Thanks!

I'm a little short on time to answer your questions, but please feel free to call us, we have done many C5 LS7 combo's, dry and wet sump.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Tony can set you up with everything you need, all your questions/parts done in 1 stop make it easy for yourself. He knows what works, and what secret sauce you dont need to make your mill work properly.

Get notified of new replies

To Ls7 based engine in 04 z06

Quick Reply: Ls7 based engine in 04 z06