Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

ZO6 battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 PM
partisan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ZO6 battery drain

If I let my car sit for a week or so the battery goes dead. The battery is less than 2 years old and I THINK the problem may be the PAL2 I have installed to play my Ipod. I don't know why the PAL2 draws constant power, but I believe it could be the culprit. Suggestions?

My main concern is that a local Vette shop owner told me to never jump a dead battery in my ZO6. I have jumped it before and it seemed to throw some of the DIC readings out of whack for a few days. It is not where I can use my battery charger and a jump start seems inevitable. Does jumping my car actually cause problems/damage to the computer system? Thanks to all that can help me with this. Doug
Old 09-22-2017, 06:07 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Although our cars will slowly drain a battery if let to sit, your rapid drain is almost certainly due to the PAL2. The other cause could be a weak battery.

The solutions are:

1) Load test battery to ensure it is fully functional.

2) Connect a battery charger/maintainer when car sits. This simple procedure takes 2 minutes. Go with the CTEK 3300.

Or

3) Remove the PAL2.

There are no major issues with jump starting our cars. However, if the battery is very weak it may not jump start and will require a charge first. Car is very sensitive to a weak battery and doesn't like it.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:33 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

As said above, these cars suck a battery down in a couple days stock. All of us on here suggest getting a battery tender, there are different opinions on hook up but the cigarette adapter is sooooo simple and easy. If you like the Pal, leave it in, I really think you are just going through what is normal for these cars.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Although our cars will slowly drain a battery if let to sit, your rapid drain is almost certainly due to the PAL2. The other cause could be a weak battery.

The solutions are:

1) Load test battery to ensure it is fully functional.

2) Connect a battery charger/maintainer when car sits. This simple procedure takes 2 minutes. Go with the CTEK 3300.

Or

3) Remove the PAL2.

There are no major issues with jump starting our cars. However, if the battery is very weak it may not jump start and will require a charge first. Car is very sensitive to a weak battery and doesn't like it.

Thanks for the info. I feel better about the problem
Old 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by psp6158
As said above, these cars suck a battery down in a couple days stock. All of us on here suggest getting a battery tender, there are different opinions on hook up but the cigarette adapter is sooooo simple and easy. If you like the Pal, leave it in, I really think you are just going through what is normal for these cars.
Thanks! I will gladly take you guys advice.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

mine is fine for weeks - days??? - BUT I did learn depending on how the M2W switch is wired, it can drain your battery - I learned to put it back to quiet mode as I park back in my garage - no issues at all. My battery tender is for winter use and maybe if I go on an extended vacation. so yes, check your accessories is the right path to start

Last edited by RedZ4me; 09-22-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
The following users liked this post:
partisan (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:34 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

I was having this issue and I pulled the Onstar fuse and I am now able to let the car sit for weeks and the battery is OK.

I don't know if this is your issue but it's easy to test.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:29 PM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
mine is fine for weeks - days??? - BUT I did learn depending on how the M2W switch is wired, it can drain your battery - I learned to put it back to quiet mode as I park back in my garage - no issues at all. My battery tender is for winter use and maybe if I go on an extended vacation. so yes, check your accessories is the right path to start
Sounds like I need a battery tender. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:31 PM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
I was having this issue and I pulled the Onstar fuse and I am now able to let the car sit for weeks and the battery is OK.

I don't know if this is your issue but it's easy to test.
Good suggestion. I'll try it, and thanks!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:22 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

Any update on your problem?
Old 10-08-2017, 01:01 PM
partisan
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaOtherOne
Any update on your problem?

I hooked up a battery charger for an overnight slow charge. Everything was fine by morning. I really believe the PAL unit is what's causing the drain on the battery.
The following users liked this post:
DaOtherOne (10-08-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 battery drain

Quick Reply: ZO6 battery drain