C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 C4 Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM
brokencorvette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 C4 Starting Problems

Hello Corvetteforum.com,

I am new to the forum so I hope I am not breaking any rules with this post.

My C4 has issues when it starts up. It will not start up without external help from starter fluids. It does not seem to be getting its initial burst of fuel to get started. Once the car is running it will idle fine. I am not too familiar with this problem so I have come to you for help.

If anyone out there has had this same issue or has any advice to offer that would be excellent!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Cheers,

- Chaz
Old 09-22-2017, 12:45 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

fuelfilter + fuelpressure + small filter on injectors
The following users liked this post:
brokencorvette (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM
brokencorvette
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by corvettenorway
fuelfilter + fuelpressure + small filter on injectors
Thanks for the reply CorvetteNorway!

I will investigate your suggestions and see if i can find any issues.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

- Chaz
Old 09-22-2017, 02:02 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

You have the one year only C4 Cross Fire injection system. IMHO is is a great system, often mis understood and requires a knack.

You need to look at your fuel pressure and will (most likely) have to swap your fuels pump. The 84s are notorious for not having enough fuel presure and your symptoms are indicative.

If/When you get a new pump, get yourself a 85-89 version. It will bolt right in and have a high pressure that your XFire will love.

Put a pressure gauge on the rail and check.
brokencorvette (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 03:05 PM
brokencorvette
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
You have the one year only C4 Cross Fire injection system. IMHO is is a great system, often mis understood and requires a knack.

You need to look at your fuel pressure and will (most likely) have to swap your fuels pump. The 84s are notorious for not having enough fuel presure and your symptoms are indicative.

If/When you get a new pump, get yourself a 85-89 version. It will bolt right in and have a high pressure that your XFire will love.

Wow!! Thanks for the reply Bill.

This is a lot of great information. I was unaware of the Cross Fire Injection system. I will look more into that.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,

- Chaz
Old 09-23-2017, 02:44 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by brokencorvette
My C4 has issues when it starts up. It will not start up without external help from starter fluids. It does not seem to be getting its initial burst of fuel to get started. Once the car is running it will idle fine.
Chaz, there are a few other considerations for solving this problem. You say the car idles fine after you get it started. Important question: does the car drive okay after that?

Since the car idles fine, I'm going to guess your fuel pump is fine. If the car runs okay, that's proof that your fuel pump and your fuel filter are fine!

Try this: After you have the car running, shut off the engine, then immediately try to re-start your engine.

If the car starts, that's another indication you don't have a fuel pump problem, you have a fuel pump RELAY problem.

Since you don't see any fuel spray from your fuel injectors when you are trying to start your engine, that another reason to suspect the fuel pump RELAY!

The relay is supposed to provide power to the fuel pump as soon as you turn on the key, which should provide fuel pressure to the injectors so the engine will start. After the engine is running, the relay isn't needed, since the power to the fuel pump is provided by the oil pressure switch.

If you don't have a FSM (Factory Shop Manual), get one! These cars are complex!!

brokencorvette (09-26-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 03:00 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
You have the one year only C4 Cross Fire injection system. IMHO it is a great system, often mis-understood and requires a knack.

Sorry Bill, there's no fuel rail in the '84. Like you said: the CFI is much mis-understood.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
:
Sorry Bill, there's no fuel rail in the '84. Like you said: the CFI is much mis-understood.
Duh, thanks I know that, I just got lazy with my typing. I had an 82 so the engine is real similar to the 84.

The pump pressure should go to 12-15 at start and the regulator is in the drivers side throttle body. The best place for fuel pressure reading is between the TB s.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 C4 Starting Problems

Quick Reply: 1984 C4 Starting Problems