Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it bad to go from drive to 3rd, and to 2nd gear...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 08:54 PM
speedmaster64
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Is it bad to go from drive to 3rd, and to 2nd gear...

I have a question for those of you who are more mechanical than I. But first....

I drove manual transmissions all throughout my teens and 20's. when I turned 50, three years ago, I bought my '02 C5 with an A4 because I didn't like the feel of the M6, and an automatic seemed so much better suited for the ridiculous LA roads of today. There is always traffic in this stupid city.

I drive in lots of canyons (mostly Topanga and Benedict) and I quickly got in the habit of putting the car in 2nd gear a lot, then back in 3rd, etc. three years and 19,000 miles later (89,000 total), I just found out reverse and 3rd gear are gone. I'm looking at a rebuild for about $2,800. The mechanic is well established, owns six Chevys, and I trust him. I love this car. It's my escape. My opium. I'm going to fix it and hopefully drive it for a long time (unless I sell it and get another Corvette).

Is it bad to have shifted my automation transmission regularly while driving? Did I ruin the transmission? For future reference.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:03 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I bought my black Z 3+ years ago... when I turned 50.
I have heard manually shifting the auto in these cars is hard on it, once. Watching, curious.
For $2800 I'd think you could get a nicely done tranny that'll withstand some spirited driving, but I'm pulling that out of the blue sky.
Hope all goes well for you.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:22 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

I have always downshifted when going down steep hills. Like you, I would like to know if it's harmful.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I posed a similar question recently. There is some good stuff here and some stuff to filter out.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595528338
Old 09-22-2017, 09:41 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by speedmaster64
I have a question for those of you who are more mechanical than I. But first....

I drove manual transmissions all throughout my teens and 20's. when I turned 50, three years ago, I bought my '02 C5 with an A4 because I didn't like the feel of the M6, and an automatic seemed so much better suited for the ridiculous LA roads of today. There is always traffic in this stupid city.

I drive in lots of canyons (mostly Topanga and Benedict) and I quickly got in the habit of putting the car in 2nd gear a lot, then back in 3rd, etc. three years and 19,000 miles later (89,000 total), I just found out reverse and 3rd gear are gone. I'm looking at a rebuild for about $2,800. The mechanic is well established, owns six Chevys, and I trust him. I love this car. It's my escape. My opium. I'm going to fix it and hopefully drive it for a long time (unless I sell it and get another Corvette).

Is it bad to have shifted my automation transmission regularly while driving? Did I ruin the transmission? For future reference.

It looks like it really might have been bad for your tranny. You should get 200K miles on one. Just leave it in 3rd and let the transmission do the shifting.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:20 AM
speedmaster64
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
I posed a similar question recently. There is some good stuff here and some stuff to filter out.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595528338
thank you John. It's perfectly clear after reading those comments that I made a $2800 mistake over the last three years. Fortunately I have the money to fix it, and then I may decide to sell it at some Point and get a C6 with a manual transmission.

Last edited by speedmaster64; 09-23-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:03 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

I may decide to sell it at some Point and get a C6 with a manual transmission.
There ya go!

Shakey
Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by speedmaster64
Shifting an automatic with the shifter can be bad, or it can be good. It depends entirely on when you shift it, how you shift it and why you shift it.

When an automatic transmission "shifts" gears, there's always some wear on the clutch packs inside the transmission, and there's always some heat generated. How much of each depends on how it shifts and why. A firm, quick upshift under moderate acceleration is probably the type of shift that generates the least wear and the least heat.

If you use the transmission as another brake, with long, lazy downshifts where the transmission slowly drags the engine up to high revs, that's going to generate the most wear and the most heat.

If you move the shifter to a gear position that is the gear that the transmission is already in, or a gear higher than the gear it's currently in, no shift occurs and there's no wear and tear and no additional heat at all. So, stomping it to go from 4th to 3rd, and then selecting "3" when it's already shifted to third is not a bad thing, generates no heat and no wear and tear. Also, to your example, if you're at a stop sign, about to turn onto your favorite "canyon road," and you slip the shifter into "3," there's no down side to that. The transmission just won't shift to 4th as you accelerate down your favorite road. When you lift off the gas at your target speed, it will stay in 3rd and that's probably what you want.
Originally Posted by captaineddie
I have always downshifted when going down steep hills. Like you, I would like to know if it's harmful.
Again, that depends on how you do it. Have you ever noticed those signs with the truck going down the hill? Those signs are always before the steep down hill, often still on the up side of the approach to the top. That's when it's time to down shift. Shift it down with some accelerator input, so the shift is quick and firm. Slow down first (with the brakes) if you need to, put a little right foot in it as you pull it down, then coast after it's firmly in the lower gear.

Brakes are for slowing down. Never ride the brake down a hill at a constant speed. You'll have no brakes at all at the bottom of the hill if you do that, and if you need to slow or stop at the bottom, well, you'll do more damage to the car overall in the wreck you get into because your brakes don't work than you would from the wear on the transmission from down shifting.

Lower gears are for limiting top speed on down grades, and for better power and acceleration out of corners or whatever.

Automatics usually select the right gear when it's needed. Using the shifter a bit to "prod" it when you do have the right signals will sometimes speed up the process with little down side. In that respect, pulling the shifter to 3rd as you push the pedal down for a passing situation, or as you're exiting a corner won't do much added wear. You're just giving a stronger signal, and with the power, the transmission will make an appropriate, quick, firm shift. It was going to shift anyway eventually. The mistake is shifting down to "3" as your braking for the corner, with no throttle input. Then you're asking for a high wear, high heat, unnatural shift that will do damage over time if you repeat that a lot.

The big mistake is trying to use the shifter as a brake. That will wear out and tear up a transmission in short order.

Oh, and on the Corvette especially, be gentle with the shifter. The bushings on these cars are a weak link, too.
The following 2 users liked this post by C6_Racer_X:
c5arlen (09-24-2017), JohnRogers (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 10:47 AM
JohnRogers
Racer

So how does the paddle shifters of the C6 A6 work?
Old 09-23-2017, 02:33 PM
speedmaster64
Racer

Default Thanks

Thanks for the great replies. Nice to see that no trolls pounced on me for being honest about the mistake I made with my Vette.

I'm having the transmission rebuilt by a family owned transmission shop here in LA. No way around it.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
Shifting an automatic with the shifter can be bad, or it can be good. It depends entirely on when you shift it, how you shift it and why you shift it.

When an automatic transmission "shifts" gears, there's always some wear on the clutch packs inside the transmission, and there's always some heat generated. How much of each depends on how it shifts and why. A firm, quick upshift under moderate acceleration is probably the type of shift that generates the least wear and the least heat.

If you use the transmission as another brake, with long, lazy downshifts where the transmission slowly drags the engine up to high revs, that's going to generate the most wear and the most heat.

If you move the shifter to a gear position that is the gear that the transmission is already in, or a gear higher than the gear it's currently in, no shift occurs and there's no wear and tear and no additional heat at all. So, stomping it to go from 4th to 3rd, and then selecting "3" when it's already shifted to third is not a bad thing, generates no heat and no wear and tear. Also, to your example, if you're at a stop sign, about to turn onto your favorite "canyon road," and you slip the shifter into "3," there's no down side to that. The transmission just won't shift to 4th as you accelerate down your favorite road. When you lift off the gas at your target speed, it will stay in 3rd and that's probably what you want.

Again, that depends on how you do it. Have you ever noticed those signs with the truck going down the hill? Those signs are always before the steep down hill, often still on the up side of the approach to the top. That's when it's time to down shift. Shift it down with some accelerator input, so the shift is quick and firm. Slow down first (with the brakes) if you need to, put a little right foot in it as you pull it down, then coast after it's firmly in the lower gear.

Brakes are for slowing down. Never ride the brake down a hill at a constant speed. You'll have no brakes at all at the bottom of the hill if you do that, and if you need to slow or stop at the bottom, well, you'll do more damage to the car overall in the wreck you get into because your brakes don't work than you would from the wear on the transmission from down shifting.

Lower gears are for limiting top speed on down grades, and for better power and acceleration out of corners or whatever.

Automatics usually select the right gear when it's needed. Using the shifter a bit to "prod" it when you do have the right signals will sometimes speed up the process with little down side. In that respect, pulling the shifter to 3rd as you push the pedal down for a passing situation, or as you're exiting a corner won't do much added wear. You're just giving a stronger signal, and with the power, the transmission will make an appropriate, quick, firm shift. It was going to shift anyway eventually. The mistake is shifting down to "3" as your braking for the corner, with no throttle input. Then you're asking for a high wear, high heat, unnatural shift that will do damage over time if you repeat that a lot.

The big mistake is trying to use the shifter as a brake. That will wear out and tear up a transmission in short order.

Oh, and on the Corvette especially, be gentle with the shifter. The bushings on these cars are a weak link, too.
Best wishes with your repair. Please let us know how it went.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:19 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

I guess I've been lucky with my car. I shift mine all the time. Up and down and not a problem. And yes it is an A4. 19 years and 48000 miles.

Last edited by Fcar 98; 09-23-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:27 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Won't hurt a damn thing and it actually helps by reducing unnecessary up/down shifts. 4L60 is not known for its durability so no failure should come as a surprise after all these years. Adding a cooler will help it live a longer, happier life especially with canyon runs.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:30 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

If the transmission is upgraded properly it can handle constant upshifts and downshifts just fine. I had the 4L60E in my 96 Impala SS rebuilt with all the available performance upgrades available at the time, like beast sunshell, high flow pump, larger 2nd and 4th gear servos, 5 pinion planetaries, kevlar clutches and extra clutch packs it handled road courses just fine and never gave me any problems. For those who don't know those cars are 4300 lbs without the driver so the stresses are much greater on that transmission than a C5 will ever put on one. With that said, if you really want to beat on it and constantly shift the transmission your better off with a manual.

Steve
Old 09-24-2017, 04:31 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

if you havent takenit in already call Ron at TRC transmission in chatsworth he can build you one that wont break without the corvette tax. Hes done many sticks and autos over the yrs not one failure yet
everything from stockers to big blocks on nitrous....
Old 09-24-2017, 04:39 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Bite the bullet and buy a C-7, they are coming down in price for the earlier ones, and about three steps above any previous Vette.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 PM
JohnRogers
Racer

Originally Posted by Phanni
Bite the bullet and buy a C-7, they are coming down in price for the earlier ones, and about three steps above any previous Vette.
As crazy as it sounds I've considered that. The attraction of a C5 or early C6 is a great Corvette without a car payment.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:10 PM
bonzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
As crazy as it sounds I've considered that. The attraction of a C5 or early C6 is a great Corvette without a car payment.
John you don't work in Durant by chance?

Get notified of new replies

To Is it bad to go from drive to 3rd, and to 2nd gear...

Quick Reply: Is it bad to go from drive to 3rd, and to 2nd gear...