C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Do you think the cost of the Carbon Ceramic brakes will ever come down?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:02 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Do you think the cost of the Carbon Ceramic brakes will ever come down?

My new 2017 Z has the carbon ceramic brakes, which i would not have ordered since I do HPDE's. BUT I have them so what to do long term? I really like them in the short time I have owned the car but the time will come sooner than I want to replace them. Most parts seem to go down in price once the market gets competitive. So do you think the CCB parts will get more affordable?
Old 09-24-2017, 08:14 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

You got 3 years or 36,000 miles before you have to worry about that. I'm sure by then they will come down in price. I wish I would of got them because I'm tired of all this damn brake dust..
The following users liked this post:
ScGRaceR (09-26-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 08:16 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
My new 2017 Z has the carbon ceramic brakes, which i would not have ordered since I do HPDE's. BUT I have them so what to do long term? I really like them in the short time I have owned the car but the time will come sooner than I want to replace them. Most parts seem to go down in price once the market gets competitive. So do you think the CCB parts will get more affordable?
I wouldn't hold my breath on prices coming down. CC brakes have been around for a while now, and even the Porsche track racers are ditching them for iron brakes, to keep costs down, with little or no reduction in braking performance.
fpfaeth (09-26-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the responses. Sounds crazy saying it but maybe I should get the steel rotors that will fit the stock calipers for the track. Put the ceramics back on for the street. I sure like the lack of dust on the wheels.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

That is what I did for a bit but it still isn't a cheap option. You can get Girodisc rotors and Raybestos pads for the track and relatively quickly swap back and forth if you want. I personally think this is the best option outside of completely pulling the brakes and saving them, which was the direction I ultimately went.

The CC brakes have been around since the C6, and prices really haven't changed much so I wouldn't count on that being different any time soon.

Last edited by fleming23; 09-24-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

I would never pay 7K for brakes.to me waste of money.use that 7k for options you will use,carbon package,pdr,comp seats,stuff like that.
FYREANT (09-28-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 272 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default numerous threads on this

I got my Z07 in October of last year. Was very excited as primary purpose of the car was to do HPDE days. I knew the CCB's were more expensive but told the OUTRIGHT LIE that they 'last longer'. I was coming from a z51 stingray. The stock pads which wholesale for $1200 dollars approx lasted me all of 3 track days and I am an intermediate level driver. After burning through 3 sets of pads in mind numbing time, then the dealer started talking about needing to replace the rotors, I said

I AM DONE... F this...

Went with the same company the C7R race team uses

AP RACING endurance kit, brakes just as well, costs less than replacing OEM garbage, front pads are an astounding 25 mm thick, 7 track days so far and lots of pad left!!! Rotors are way way cheaper to replace, ditto with the pads

I have no affiliation with them, MANY of us track guys have dumped the CCB and Porsche guys who seriously track (first thing they do is take of the CCB to reinstall when they sell the car

I was sooooooooo disappointed as I was sold a bill of goods regarding the CCB system. A few guys have claimed to get better life out of the pads but LOTS of us have dumped them

I could not afford to do the HPDE days with all the other associated costs not to mention what a pain in the *** changing the pads after such a short time over and over at the track...

Went to the AP Racing set up and couldn't be happier. You should know the AP Kit does make noise (some pad squeal) as most true track brake kits do, but that is a small trade off to not waste your time on the paddock changing pads and emptying your wallet like there is no tomorrow... Just my .02 cents, good luck
Old 09-25-2017, 07:37 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

It's a catch 22, they need to make more to lower the price, but with the price point not many takers. I have them on my Z06 but this car will not see the track, got them because of the discount on the car, at over 20k plus off sticker I could not walk away
Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AVETTE
I got my Z07 in October of last year. Was very excited as primary purpose of the car was to do HPDE days. I knew the CCB's were more expensive but told the OUTRIGHT LIE that they 'last longer'. I was coming from a z51 stingray. The stock pads which wholesale for $1200 dollars approx lasted me all of 3 track days and I am an intermediate level driver. After burning through 3 sets of pads in mind numbing time, then the dealer started talking about needing to replace the rotors, I said

I AM DONE... F this...

Went with the same company the C7R race team uses

AP RACING endurance kit, brakes just as well, costs less than replacing OEM garbage, front pads are an astounding 25 mm thick, 7 track days so far and lots of pad left!!! Rotors are way way cheaper to replace, ditto with the pads

I have no affiliation with them, MANY of us track guys have dumped the CCB and Porsche guys who seriously track (first thing they do is take of the CCB to reinstall when they sell the car

I was sooooooooo disappointed as I was sold a bill of goods regarding the CCB system. A few guys have claimed to get better life out of the pads but LOTS of us have dumped them

I could not afford to do the HPDE days with all the other associated costs not to mention what a pain in the *** changing the pads after such a short time over and over at the track...

Went to the AP Racing set up and couldn't be happier. You should know the AP Kit does make noise (some pad squeal) as most true track brake kits do, but that is a small trade off to not waste your time on the paddock changing pads and emptying your wallet like there is no tomorrow... Just my .02 cents, good luck
Thanks to everyone for the responses, Avette what you have described is what I feared would be the situation and I am also a Intermediate driver. Roughly what did the AP Kit cost?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Thanks to everyone for the responses, Avette what you have described is what I feared would be the situation and I am also a Intermediate driver. Roughly what did the AP Kit cost?
Take a look here. You'll likely be looking at the 9668 kit for the front and 9450 for the rear.
https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...0Z07%20Package

Last edited by fleming23; 09-25-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Sounds crazy saying it but maybe I should get the steel rotors that will fit the stock calipers for the track. Put the ceramics back on for the street. I sure like the lack of dust on the wheels.
Just an FYI, steel is never used as brake rotor material. They are iron, which has very good heat dissipating characteristics (not as good as CCBs, but much less costly).

The pins that hold the aluminum hubs and rotor wipe surface are likely steel, but I'm talking about the brake wipe surface.

Last edited by AzDave47; 09-25-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:25 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I wouldn't hold my breath on prices coming down. CC brakes have been around for a while now, and even the Porsche track racers are ditching them for iron brakes, to keep costs down, with little or no reduction in braking performance.
Most overrated parts on the car!
The no dust is available with the power stop pads. IMO!
Old 09-26-2017, 02:38 PM
yz250fPilot
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Here's a lower-cost option for the Porsche PCCB guys - use C7 CCB rotors! Looks like everyone is trying to figure this one out:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...er-option.html

Last edited by yz250fPilot; 09-26-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:25 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

some mclaren models even use the same pad and rotors as the z06 and zr1 pretty common size i guess
Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
some mclaren models even use the same pad and rotors as the z06 and zr1 pretty common size i guess
And the GT-R, although I found the pads were too thick even though the shape was the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you think the cost of the Carbon Ceramic brakes will ever come down?

Quick Reply: Do you think the cost of the Carbon Ceramic brakes will ever come down?