C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for new car question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:11 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Shopping for new car question

I recently sold my car and have begun shopping for a replacement. I have a WTB listing on this forum but no response so far.

I have decided on a Grand Sport Crystal Red with a beige 2 tone interior and automatic. I found one but it has 6X,000 miles on it. It is at a Dealer and is not nearby.

My question is, that it does not have CARFAX to check on it, it does have AUTOCHECK. The report says that in 6-17 it FAILED EMISSIONS and it FAILED A SAFETY CHECK! The car is in TEXAS. What kind of safety check do they do?

The Dealer guarantees the car for 30 days!
Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,801 Posts

It's pretty hard to fail emissions test in Texas. Same with the safety check.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:30 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I think I would pass on that car if I were you. Be patient. The right car will come along.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:32 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by unclecookie
I think I would pass on that car if I were you. Be patient. The right car will come along.
Oh did I mention that it is in Houston!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Walk....no, run....away!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:02 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by lwise4
I recently sold my car and have begun shopping for a replacement. I have a WTB listing on this forum but no response so far.

I have decided on a Grand Sport Crystal Red with a beige 2 tone interior and automatic. I found one but it has 6X,000 miles on it. It is at a Dealer and is not nearby.

My question is, that it does not have CARFAX to check on it, it does have AUTOCHECK. The report says that in 6-17 it FAILED EMISSIONS and it FAILED A SAFETY CHECK! The car is in TEXAS. What kind of safety check do they do?

The Dealer guarantees the car for 30 days!
I don't believe a dealer, even in TX, can sell a vehicle that does not pass emissions or safety. Therefore, there should be a follow-up entry on Autocheck showing the passing of both. Call the dealer and ask him about it, simple enough. He should tell you exactly what the issue(s) were, and how they were fixed. If fixed and passed, no worries.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:05 PM
rkymtnscaper
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have emission testing here in Denver, my 2010 just recently failed due to the gas cap not holding pressure. go figure.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:35 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by rkymtnscaper
we have emission testing here in Denver, my 2010 just recently failed due to the gas cap not holding pressure. go figure.
Heres a funny story. Worked with a guy once who asked me if I might know why his sons check engine light is on. I told him first thing to do is check for good gas cap engagement. So he went home and told his son my thoughts. his son told his Dad that the guy you work with is an idiot if he thinks my gas cap is the problem. So they finally take it to a dealer. The dealer took care of it, they told him the gas cap was loose and also said...."that will be $100.00 please"....
Old 09-25-2017, 05:51 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Oh did I mention that it is in Houston!
Lots of forum members on here from Houston. Maybe one of them can go take a look at it for you and tell you whether that dealership was flooded.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

It might not hurt to get a GMVIS Report done at a GM dealer. It's free and gives all the info on the car of any maintenance, safety recalls, done at any GM dealer and the the RPO codes that the car has for options.

No matter which Corvette you want to buy, get at least a VIS report run on it

Good luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 09-25-2017 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lwise4 (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:55 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

If you have the VIN number, go to the web site mytxcar.gov enter the VIN and it will show you all kinds of information about the inspections for the life of the car. Best regards
The following users liked this post:
lwise4 (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 PM
Grand Sport Jim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have decided on a Grand Sport Crystal Red with a beige 2 tone interior and automatic.
You've described my 2011 Vette except I've just hit 47,000 miles. You've got good taste, I wish you luck on your quest.
BTW I've had zero issues with my car once I had the PFADT alignment done and replaced my original run-flats with Pilot Super Sports. This is the best car I've ever owned and the best Vette I've ever owned.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Grand Sport Jim; 09-25-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I don't believe a dealer, even in TX, can sell a vehicle that does not pass emissions or safety. Therefore, there should be a follow-up entry on Autocheck showing the passing of both. Call the dealer and ask him about it, simple enough. He should tell you exactly what the issue(s) were, and how they were fixed. If fixed and passed, no worries.

Let us know what you find out.
I checked on the car and got no response! It is on CARMAX, look it up! The salesman told me that all cars in Houston were on hold? No transfers!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:59 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Grand Sport Jim
You've described my 2011 Vette except I've just hit 47,000 miles. You've got good taste, I wish you luck on your quest.
BTW I've had zero issues with my car once I had the PFADT alignment done and replaced my original run-flats with Pilot Super Sports. This is the best car I've ever owned and the best Vette I've ever owned.
You are a lucky man! I do not want a convertible, I just sold one but the color and options are what I am looking for! The biggest problem that I have in selling my car or buying another is the mileage! If you buy a car and do not drive it, it will be worth more! Why buy it if you do not drive it?

You have found what you enjoy, enjoy it!
Old 09-25-2017, 11:09 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
Lots of forum members on here from Houston. Maybe one of them can go take a look at it for you and tell you whether that dealership was flooded.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks for your input! From all that I have gathered, I need to pass on this one if it was a flood victim or not! High mileage and high price are a bad combination!

I just sold my 08 and it was a beautiful car with no problems. I just wanted a coupe with automatic and the desired options!

One thing that I did learn in this process is that you cannot price your car the same as the Dealer! Having bought and sold many cars, the price of the car is determined by who will pay and how much!
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Safety failure could have been something as simple as window tint. I failed a safety inspection once on a different vehicle because the tint was too dark. I had to find a more friendly inspection location to resolve the issue.

If the car is a CarMax car, I'd buy it, they stand behind their cars. They may be a little bit more expensive, but they're usually a LOT higher quality.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:41 AM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by windyC6
Heres a funny story. Worked with a guy once who asked me if I might know why his sons check engine light is on. I told him first thing to do is check for good gas cap engagement. So he went home and told his son my thoughts. his son told his Dad that the guy you work with is an idiot if he thinks my gas cap is the problem. So they finally take it to a dealer. The dealer took care of it, they told him the gas cap was loose and also said...."that will be $100.00 please"....
In Tennessee the first thing they do is put the gas cap on a tester. I have a locking cap on my truck and it failed but passed after the tester reseated it in the test machine.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 AM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Safety failure could have been something as simple as window tint. I failed a safety inspection once on a different vehicle because the tint was too dark. I had to find a more friendly inspection location to resolve the issue.

If the car is a CarMax car, I'd buy it, they stand behind their cars. They may be a little bit more expensive, but they're usually a LOT higher quality.
The car is at CARMAX. They have 4 locations in Houston and I am told that only one had a flood problem. There is also a hold on shipping cars out of Houston CARMAX locations. Usually they quote a price for bringing a car to you. I don't know how that works? For example they wanted $199 to bring a car from Chicago to Nashville. So I have to pay $199 just to look at a car? The Houston car is a moot issue as CARMAX will not ship any cars out of Houston at this time! Company policy.

Get notified of new replies

To Shopping for new car question

Quick Reply: Shopping for new car question