C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Is This Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:54 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Is This Normal?

Does the ignition shielding look normal? Is it always on an angle?

Last edited by JackTripper; 09-25-2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper

What piece of the shielding are you referring to?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I'm not seeing what you're calling an angle.

But that's one good looking engine bay there.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you are talking about vertically, the spark plug loom brackets determine the positioning of the vertical and center pieces, you could examine them and make sure they're vertical and the bottom ones line up more closely under the top shield. The top shield isn't that adjustable as it had a tang on it to abrade against the air cleaner (at least on 63 models) and a setting for F/I vs Carb use...

If you are talking about horizontally, across the length of the top of the center shield it could be how you installed it. I get the top nut on the driver's side started while leaving the vertical shield hardware a bit loose...then I push down on the passenger side of the center shield at the top and tighten the vertical shield nut on that side... Then I fully tighten the top shield nut and vertical shield nut on the driver's side.

You better be damn sure you have your ignition coil is oriented properly and fully seated and the plastic insert inside the center shield is intact and that you're not cutting the pink ignition wires at the bottom rear of the center shield when done or its bad freakin' news.

I also apply FLAPS door edge protector, self-adhering, plasti-chrome along the lower edge of the rear center ignition shield to prevent shorts. Sticks by itself and comes off in 2 minutes with some Goo-Gone for judging.

If an engine compartment looks that good, I'd find something else to worry about, frankly.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-26-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:54 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

The drivers side looks like the bracket is bent backwards ,Slide the shielding off bent bracket towards front adjust till linkage works .Check other side
Old 09-26-2017, 08:39 AM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

here is my 65 for comparison. looks about the same to me.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I think the problem is with the the tabs that are held by the manifold bolts. You have to loosen the bolts and readjust the shields.
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

OK. It just seems like the drivers side of the Ignition shielding has a larger gap than normal.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Another pic

Old 09-26-2017, 04:06 PM
FASTZ
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If you are talking about vertically, the spark plug loom brackets determine the positioning of the vertical and center pieces, you could examine them and make sure they're vertical and the bottom ones line up more closely under the top shield. The top shield isn't that adjustable as it had a tang on it to abrade against the air cleaner (at least on 63 models) and a setting for F/I vs Carb use...

If you are talking about horizontally, across the length of the top of the center shield it could be how you installed it. I get the top nut on the driver's side started while leaving the vertical shield hardware a bit loose...then I push down on the passenger side of the center shield at the top and tighten the vertical shield nut on that side... Then I fully tighten the top shield nut and vertical shield nut on the driver's side.

You better be damn sure you have your ignition coil is oriented properly and fully seated and the plastic insert inside the center shield is intact and that you're not cutting the pink ignition wires at the bottom rear of the center shield when done or its bad freakin' news.

I also apply FLAPS door edge protector, self-adhering, plasti-chrome along the lower edge of the rear center ignition shield to prevent shorts. Sticks by itself and comes off in 2 minutes with some Goo-Gone for judging.

If an engine compartment looks that good, I'd find something else to worry about, frankly.
That is a really cool idea. Thanks for sharing. I will do this to my cars this evening.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

I see what you are talking about but to get these pieces to fit at all is a job. I cannot on my car get the right vertical at the bottom to fit the horizontal piece so I leave it loose there. Anyway your bay looks great angle or not.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:19 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
I see what you are talking about but to get these pieces to fit at all is a job. I cannot on my car get the right vertical at the bottom to fit the horizontal piece so I leave it loose there. Anyway your bay looks great angle or not.

Just re drill the drivers side and put the wing nut back in after adjusting the top part ,I had to do this to both 63s I had .
lock the top in with the threaded bolt and make sure your wires slide up inside I even had bigger spark plug wires .
Mark the spot from laying underneath with magic marker ..
It can be done . Just one of things throw the spark plug medal protectors in the trash ones under the shielding .
Just take your time and tie wrap the wires away from the hot Manifold
Old 09-26-2017, 07:46 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper

None of it looked normal to me, so I removed all of it ....sorry, couldn't resist but probably not helpful

Get notified of new replies

To Is This Normal?

Quick Reply: [C2] Is This Normal?