C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotating Assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:50 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts
Default Rotating Assemblies

I'm looking at rotating assemblies for my 73 454 big block.
I'm thinking of stroking it to 496 cu in and I've been looking at SCAT and Eagle brands, but I've heard some people say that neither are as good as they used to be and that both are using components produced in China and just doing the machining here in the US.
Can anyone confirm the rumors?
The brands these machine shops are suggesting are costly, up to $4k-$5k, just for crank, rods, pistons, rings and bearings. This is discouraging.
Another suggestion I received was to buy a new 502 cu in block from Chevy Performance their, crank, rods, pistons, bearings, rings to get high quality parts.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 09-26-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:41 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I'm thinking of stroking it to 496 cu in and I've been looking at SCAT and Eagle brands, but I've heard some people say that neither are as good as they used to be and that both are using components produced in China and just doing the machining here in the US.
The brands these machine shops are suggesting are costly, up to $4k-$5k, just for crank, rods, pistons, rings and bearings. This is discouraging.
Another suggestion I received was to buy a new 502 cu in block from Chevy Performance their, crank, rods, pistons, bearings, rings to get high quality parts.

As G.M. buys most of their parts from Mexican and Chinese factories I would think they'd be the same quality as Scat and Eagle. I suggest talking to your local crank grinder as he would know what differences there are between the different brands. I watched a video a few days ago about BMW engines being made in China and BMW is VERY picky about quality as we all know. The factory was ultra high tech in every way from forging and machining the crankshafts and connecting rods to casting and machining the aluminum engine blocks and cylinder heads.
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 03:24 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I like the Scat stuff. They are cast in China and have been for many years, but Scat does their own machine work and inspection. I think they are more consistent with their quality than Eagle.

Mike
OldCarBum (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Talking with a machinist that owns his own company. Most things are made in China and similar items are all made in the same factory. Depending on how much QA you want and how much you spend depends on which line your piece is made. One line is the 13 year old kid with no knowledge, the other line is the 30 year experienced machinist. It just depends on the person paying for the work
OldCarBum (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 09:44 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Have used Scat, CAT etc never had a problem with any of them
Having your machinist check them over making sure they are straight balanced right is key. They have their preferred brands, there is no reason a rotating assy lke that should run 4-5k. A GM crate is a good idea or google vortecpro he posts here & makes real good power with GM stuff, its reasonable and stays together.

Dont get sucked into the cheap ebay stuff, fancy ads and bogus hp claims you never know what youre really getting & good luck wiht that "warranty"

Last edited by cv67; 09-26-2017 at 09:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cv67:
73racevette (09-26-2017), OldCarBum (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Thanks, I talked with the techs at Summit Racing who told me the quality of SCAT assemblies is very good and they sell a ton of them with very few returns.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Have you looked at remanufactured forged cranks. Crankshaft rebuilders, inc. uses original
GM forgings and rebuilds them. I can get a forged 327 large journal 1130/4672 with bearings for $307 minus the core from these guys through a local chain. That can save you some cash
OldCarBum (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:31 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Talking with a machinist that owns his own company. Most things are made in China and similar items are all made in the same factory. Depending on how much QA you want and how much you spend depends on which line your piece is made. One line is the 13 year old kid with no knowledge, the other line is the 30 year experienced machinist. It just depends on the person paying for the work
Having worked in design and sourcing for manufacture of performance parts, I agree with this completely. If you nickle and dime the asian manufacturers on price, you get crap. If you detail the design and material specifications and pay them what they quote, you will most times get a quality product. You have to pay to get quality.

Mike
Old 09-26-2017, 01:41 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by v2racing
Having worked in design and sourcing for manufacture of performance parts, I agree with this completely. If you nickle and dime the asian manufacturers on price, you get crap. If you detail the design and material specifications and pay them what they quote, you will most times get a quality product. You have to pay to get quality.

Mike
Ok, that being said, would you purchase a rolling assembly from SCAT or Chevy Performance?
I am looking at $2200.00 for a SCAT 496 stroker assembly with forged crank, H beam rods, forged pistons. rings, bearings and all the goodies.
I want it to be reliable, and I only want to do it once.
The car will be for street use and not raced at the drag strip or road course.
I'm already getting out of my budget and may just have to rebuild my 454 using the OEM crank which is cast with 2 bolt mains.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 09-26-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:30 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Ok, that being said, would you purchase a rolling assembly from SCAT or Chevy Performance?
I am looking at $2200.00 for a SCAT 496 stroker assembly with forged crank, H beam rods, forged pistons. rings, bearings and all the goodies.
I want it to be reliable, and I only want to do it once.
The car will be for street use and not raced at the drag strip or road course.
I'm already getting out of my budget and may just have to rebuild my 454 using the OEM crank which is cast with 2 bolt mains.
I wouldn't have any problems ordering the Scat kit. I would inspect and measure everything though no matter what brand I bought. I never take anything for granted!

Mike
OldCarBum (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:45 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by v2racing
I wouldn't have any problems ordering the Scat kit. I would inspect and measure everything though no matter what brand I bought. I never take anything for granted!

Mike
This goes without saying.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:55 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

SCAT stuff is fine. I've used it for years. Get all forged stuff so you can add power later without worry. A lot of GM/Mopar stuff comes from SCAT. I've been in the factory with the owner giving a personal tour.

Stay away from CAT.

Callies makes some nice stuff in their lower priced line. Ohio crank sells some decent kits.

Howards sells some good kits too.

JIM
OldCarBum (09-26-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Rotating Assemblies

Quick Reply: Rotating Assemblies