Sponsored by:

Coupe/Vert revelation

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:47 AM
Red Square
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Coupe/Vert revelation

I'm a relative newbie, having only owned my 98 coupe for a few months.
Over the weekend I discovered what is probably an obvious aspect to the coupe, but one that I was wholly unaware of.

For the first time I pulled the targa top off and drove for an hour.
What I instantly realized, something that I'd really never seen or even saw discussed in forum posts (but I'm sure it had to have been), is that when you are driving, if you are looking straight ahead, it is the same experience as driving a vert (well...very damn close anyway).

All you see is open windows to the sides, windshield straight ahead, and sky above.

When you do shift your gaze from straight ahead to say 10 o-clock or 2 o-clock, you do catch the B pillars in the periphery of your field of view. But when driving you are almost always looking ahead, and it is a very vert experience. You cant see a roof above or behind you.

I'm certain the car's removable top was designed to accomplish just this driving experience, but in my 18 months of Vette research I don't think I ever saw it discussed.
Probably obvious to everyone but me.
Duh.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Just a warning, do not become a member of the flying roof club.
Enjoy your Vette.
The following users liked this post:
CPO Rob (09-28-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,278 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The targa top makes for a fine open air driving experience. Sure it's not quite the same as that of a vert, but it gets the job done and the coupe's body style is just gorgeous.
SG Lou (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

You'll know the difference between a targa and a convertible driving them. Take the targa with the top off at speeds above 55 MPH and you can barely hold a conversation. Take a convertible with the top down at highway speeds and the noise isn't too bad. A lot of people that own targas will tell you that the aspect of being able to remove the top is very novel, but in practice it's delegated to only being off if you're cruising around town.

I really wish someone would make a wind deflector product of sorts for the targa that doesn't cost $200 which is some serious Corvette tax to the max for some plastic *cough*cought*Windjammer*cough*.

You get a similar experience if you say drive a 911 targa and a 911 cabriolet. For the C5 the setup works because most of the design of the windows, windshield area, and the top hardware at it's most extreme point is relatively similar to the same between targa and convertible.

Last edited by Velocity_Vette; 09-26-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

I have a set of these, and this actually does change the driving experience:

https://corvetteparts.com/item/the-v...ator-1997-1998

It helps the air flow through the Vette and not get trapped inside the rear hatch; drastically reducing buffeting.

I DON'T recommend them if:
1) You have no catalytic converters. (you will get nasty fuel fumes in the car)
2) You only do city driving/cruising. (too much risk for CO to come back in; especially at low speeds and while sitting at lights with a car jammed up your rear bumper directing your exhaust upward)
Old 09-26-2017, 09:16 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
You'll know the difference between a targa and a convertible driving them. Take the targa with the top off at speeds above 55 MPH and you can barely hold a conversation. Take a convertible with the top down at highway speeds and the noise isn't too bad. A lot of people that own targas will tell you that the aspect of being able to remove the top is very novel, but in practice it's delegated to only being off if you're cruising around town.

PLUS, the sound generated by the "buffeting" isn't all that good for your ears. I worked around a lot of loud equipment, in my earlier days, and although it didn't seem to bother me then, I can feel the ill effects of it today.....
Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 AM
Red Square
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I test drove many verts so I get the experience. I just didn't think the top off the coupe would be so close.

Yeah...It was windy and somewhat loud (I was doing 70-75mph), but driving up the highway roofless was still a total blast. It was a 90 degree day in Atlanta, so when I did finally put the top back on (securely) it was a temperature related decision, not noise related.

Last edited by Red Square; 09-26-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:50 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

That is what makes the coupe such a versatile ride. You get the comfort and quietness of a traditional hard top coupe, but with removal of the targa top, also the similar experience of a Vert. My only gripe, and this is really minor and just my opinion, but I think both the Vert and the FRC are better looking, but I would still own and drive a coupe as they are an extremely close second.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:27 PM
acuevo
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

For me I love the fast back look of the coupe, and you're getting the best of both worlds IMHO. Would I consider a vert when I upgrade to a newer vette? Maybe, but probably would still land with a targa. I have it off whenever possible.

My ONLY complaint is I think its a little more of a PITA to remove the roof on the coupe vs dropping the top on a vert.
SG Lou (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 12:32 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by acuevo
For me I love the fast back look of the coupe, and you're getting the best of both worlds IMHO. Would I consider a vert when I upgrade to a newer vette? Maybe, but probably would still land with a targa. I have it off whenever possible.

My ONLY complaint is I think its a little more of a PITA to remove the roof on the coupe vs dropping the top on a vert.

When I bought my C-5, I was 16 years younger. Not only R&Ring the top has gotten more difficult, but just getting in and out of the car, isn't as easy as it used to be!!

Old 09-26-2017, 02:25 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

I had a '72 with the T-tops and removable rear window. With tops out and window in there was a lot of buffeting. With rear window out it was great (I still miss that setup!).
Old 09-26-2017, 03:05 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by Phanni
Enjoy your Vette.
Yeah, what he said
Old 09-26-2017, 08:12 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i am a member of the flying roof club......it was with a 77...all of a sudden i was driving down the interstate and their was a strange noise and my hair felt funny.....WTF i looked up and had a **** fit.....looked behind me and luckily there was no one behind me. the frame was still locked in and the clear plexiglass top was AWOL

in my 77 i also put in the removable rear window and with the t tops off and rear window out you had all the auditory delights of a vert.

i like all of them verts, FRC and coupes, the C5 vert is spacious compared to the C3
Old 09-27-2017, 03:46 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette

I really wish someone would make a wind deflector product of sorts for the targa that doesn't cost $200 which is some serious Corvette tax to the max for some plastic *cough*cought*Windjammer*cough*.

You get a similar experience if you say drive a 911 targa and a 911 cabriolet. For the C5 the setup works because most of the design of the windows, windshield area, and the top hardware at it's most extreme point is relatively similar to the same between targa and convertible.
I have a few things to say about those guys... it won't be in this thread though, and I'm waiting for it to play out first.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:43 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I never owner a vert until i got my 92. I literally could not stand to drive it with the top up, very claustrophobic. My 99 is much better though, more headroom. I think I will always get a vert. Just like driving them better. Sux I can't get on a track with it though..needs a roll bar which I'm not doing.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:25 AM
CPO Rob
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 77 Posts

As someone once told me the Coup with the Targa top is the "Poor mans Ferrari" .

Now I am not sure of that, but I sure like the experience of having the lid off. Is it loud above 65mph? Yup. Is it just plain outright Kool? Yup.

CPO Rob
Old 09-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,953 Likes on 940 Posts

I've bought a Vert for almost every car I've owned except for both of my C4s were Targa (my current C5 is a Vert).

Honestly, there is no comparison, when you consider the "open air" feeling while driving. You can "stare" straight forward all day, but anyone who truly loves a Vert, will never feel a Targa roof will ever be enough open air...

Im certainly not claiming Vert vs Targa, which is better - Im just saying there is no comparison for an open air driving experience...
CPO Rob (09-28-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe/Vert revelation

Old 09-28-2017, 03:28 PM
CPO Rob
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Enjoy your Vette.
OMG That happened?
Old 09-28-2017, 08:05 PM
SAYUNCL
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife & I always have the top off and have never had an issue with too much wind or noise, even on the freeway at 75 or 80. We talk, listen to tunes, no problem.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

The targa only buffers at highway speeds if you have the windows up. When the air can escape it's just fine. I've had it off at VERY high rates of speed; it's fine.

Roll the windows up and you won't want to be in the car over 45.

Likewise why a vert won't buffer as the wind/pressure can escape

Quick Reply: Coupe/Vert revelation