C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wiring expert needed badly!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Larry Hargrove
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring expert needed badly!

I just bought my '85 a few months ago and since then I've been trying to address all of the repairs one by one and I've finally got around to the radiator fan. A previous owner had it wired direct so if the ignition switch was on the fan was on. Not the best but at least I had a fan to prevent overheating. A few weeks ago I installed a new radio and it was working fine. Then suddenly it would not work and neither would the fan. When I put the radio in the ignition switched power wire had 12 volts. Now when I check the voltage it has only shows 1.6v. Where did my voltage go? The wiring around the fan relay and behind the radio is a cobbled up tangle of wires that I cannot make heads or tails of. Please help!
Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

That really should be fixed right. The fan will fail prematurely otherwise.

Does this help?
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Larry Hargrove
Intermediate

Thanks confab, but no it doesn't help. I have a shop manual but am too dumb to understand the wiring diagrams. I should have mentioned that I bench tested both the fan motor and the relay and they're both working.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

This might be a good point to update your profile with a location. Could be the help you need is nearby.

Troubleshooting wiring by internet is at best hard.

I doubt you are too dumb, just inexperienced.

Next step is to check power availability. Using a multimeter or test light, remove the fan relay and verify 12v on pins C and D of the socket.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:08 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
There are a few guys on here that are good with wiring. I'm one of them.If you can take GOOD pics of the wiring at the relays (separate the wires so colors and position in the connectors show up) and post them, or even describe the location and colors of wires that are cut or damaged, we may be able to suggest a remedy.

Another thought is for you to ask questions about the function of the wires (by color) in a circuit. Research online how and why relays are used in automotive circuits. (Basically a remote-controlled switch that allows a device to control a high current that it can not control directly because it would burn up).

In the wiring diagram, the relay is on the left. The "switch" part of the relay is on the left. The relay "coil" is on the right. When current flows through the coil, it closes the contacts in the switch. The dotted line is the mechanical interface between the coil and contacts.

Red = Hot at all times. Battery voltage supply to the fan.
Blk.Red = Output to the fan. (When the contacts close, the fan is powered on).
Dk Blu = Hot in RUN. (Power for the coil is only available with the key in RUN. In any other position the coil can not be energized, so the fan can not run either).
DkGrn/Wht = Control for the coil. Ground this wire, the coil will energize closing the contacts IF the key is in RUN. Note there are two possibilities to ground the coil and turn on the fan. The ECM, OR the "override switch" in the head. Both can be grounded at the same time. Either one can turn on the fan. The intent is that the switch in the head will turn on the fan if the electronic controls (ECM) fail.

Maybe this will help.
Good detailed explanation!
Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Larry Hargrove
Thanks confab, but no it doesn't help. I have a shop manual but am too dumb to understand the wiring diagrams. I should have mentioned that I bench tested both the fan motor and the relay and they're both working.
IHBD is right. To do this stuff yourself and to do it safely, it would be good to at least get some basic theory down.

You can start a fire messing with wiring if you don't know what is what. In fact, it sounds like the PO's fix may have failed for this reason - Something was overloaded and burned up.

I would suggest either doing what IHBD said and posting pics and we can help, or paying to have it done right.

If you have ever experienced an electrical failure/fire, it happens very quickly and it does great damage in a hurry. It's not something to skimp on.

IMVHO.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:28 PM
Larry Hargrove
Intermediate

Wow. Thanks for all of the tips. Looks like I have a lot to do. I've been scratching my head so much it is raw. lol. I'm going to take a break tomorrow and play golf then hit it again Thursday. There is one other thing I forgot to mention and that is that the genius that did this has ran a hot wire that bypasses the relay completely. It comes through the firewall beside the steering column.

It may take me a day or two to get back to you. I've got about 5 miles of electrical tape to get off.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:16 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

That is EXACTLY the kind of mod that causes fires and burns things up.. I bet it isn't fused, either.

Get a cheap, digital, multi meter from harbor freight and a test light, and then we can help.

Last edited by confab; 09-27-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
Get a cheap multi meter from harbor freight and a test light, and then we can help.
If you're doing something once or twice, the cheap HF multimeters are fine. If on the other than if you're doing or expect to do more in the future, consider something a little better. Most meters will read volts and ohms via the probes. Some are capable of utilizing a snap-on loop the check dc voltage without puncturing wiring etc. Typically all you need to do is snap it around a wire to check. Note: many can only read ac voltage this way while others can read ac and dc voltage this way. I was taught this earlier this year and picked one up, I have not used it a lot but it sure is convenient the few times I did to confirm whether a wire was hot or not.

Note: something like this one does not read dc voltage via the clamp on: https://www.harborfreight.com/clamp-...ter-95683.html

Last edited by hcbph; 09-27-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:32 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hcbph
If you're doing something once or twice, the cheap HF multimeters are fine. If on the other than if you're doing or expect to do more in the future, consider something a little better. Most meters will read volts and ohms via the probes. Some are capable of utilizing a snap-on loop the check dc voltage without puncturing wiring etc. Typically all you need to do is snap it around a wire to check. Note: many can only read ac voltage this way while others can read ac and dc voltage this way. I was taught this earlier this year and picked one up, I have not used it a lot but it sure is convenient the few times I did to confirm whether a wire was hot or not.

Note: something like this one does not read dc voltage via the clamp on: https://www.harborfreight.com/clamp-...ter-95683.html
The clamps measure current, not voltage.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:52 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hcbph

Yeah, I've got that same meter just for the clamp on thing.. I thought it quit working when I was doing load calcs on the kitchen, but the led bulbs didn't draw enough current to register. (The halogens they replaced sure did!)
Old 09-27-2017, 01:53 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

If you use an A/C clamp on meter remember to break out the hot wire and only measure it. If you try to measure say an extension cord it will show 0 amps even if current is flowing through the wires. The current through the hot and neutral cancel each other out on the meter.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Larry Hargrove
Intermediate

Default Wiring expert needed badly

I am back finally. Here is what I know now. The fan motor is good. The coolant temp sender is new. The blue wire is hot when the ignition switch is on. Grounding the green wire closes the relay. Still no fan. I have noticed that the red wire is in the 4th position in the harness plug but there is no lug for it to connect to on the relay. I hope you can see what I am talking about in my bad pics. What

gives?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:43 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Is the first wire black and red?

Looks like wrong relay or incorrectly wired connector, best I can tell. According to some online catalogs there is an early and a late 85 cooling fan relay, not certain how different they are.

Does any of this info help?

This relay perhaps?

Last edited by JimLentz; 10-17-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Larry Hargrove
Intermediate

It is black but I don't see any red on it.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Larry Hargrove
Intermediate

It is the wrong relay. I just ordered one that is configured to match my plug.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:13 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

It is the wrong relay. I just ordered one that is configured to match my plug.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring expert needed badly!

Old 10-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

That connector has been seriously overheated. As a minimum, clean up those contacts with some fine wet-or-dry sandpaper to make them shine! Your analysis that the pins don't match is a very good reason for the fan not to operate!

Check the voltage on pins C and D (pin A is on the left in this picture). Pin D should always have 12 v. on it. Pin C should have 12 v. only when the ign. is on. A little di-electric grease on the contacts would be a good idea to prevent oxidation. Your favorite parts store should have this for light bulb sockets.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

OP - there's much going on in that snapshot you posted. A quick glance looks as if maybe a fusible link is compromised with a poor repair. The connector condition is questionable so I'd think I'd do a correct relay, a connector and sort all of the wiring in the vicinity of the battery and cables.

Make sure the relay you purchase is the equivalent of a GM 10038311 and the connector required to mate to it a Pico 5648PT should be available locally I'd think and likely $8 or so, there's other options that might be a few $$ more. If there's little or no insulation shrinkage maybe you just unpin the existing wires from your old connector and insert in the new connector.

Whatever that is in the snapshot that's obviously a cut/splice and tape needs to be confirmed as good.

The fusible links for cooling fans for '85 are off a positive cable pigtail from the battery.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-18-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If there's little or no insulation shrinkage maybe you just unpin the existing wires from your old connector and insert in the new connector.
If you're going to buy a new connector (probably a good idea), I'd suggest using the new complete connector, rather than re-pinning the new connector body with your old pins. Those old pins are distorted, dirty, and probably damaged from overheating, and may be difficult to remove from the connector body without further damage. Be sure to use good splicing techniques (soldered, no crimp connections), and insulate with heat shrink sleeving.

Quick Reply: Wiring expert needed badly!