C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OPTI bad w/pics Not Pretty

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:23 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts
Default OPTI bad w/pics Not Pretty

Well as suggested by several members here I should consider changing the opti while I was replacing all the cooling parts.

Well, I took it apart and it wasn't pretty. Time for a new one.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:57 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Yikes! I'm glad you caught that!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Just a thought - but before you toss it into the nearest receptacle - try to remove the sensor. The OE Mitsubishi sensors seem to be very reliable - not so with some of the rebuilt units. Just put it in a sealed plastic bag with your collection of other corvette parts - you never know when you might need it.....
Old 10-10-2017, 12:19 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

By all means, be sure to get the ventilated Opti for replacement.

Good luck... GUSTO

Take a look here...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...optispark.html

Last edited by GUSTO14; 10-10-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:57 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default opti

keep the whole unit, clean it the best you can and keep it intact, it can be used for testing, it may come in handy.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:17 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

there are people starting to refurbish these. if you take it apart, it will be worthless in case you can sell it down the road. leave the sensor intact in the unit.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

I'll be doing an Opti soon (hopefully just cap & rotor), but maybe the whole thing.
My question: I saw a post recently about a guy who tests new opti units before you install them. Does anyone have his website/contact info?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:34 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Default on web

Originally Posted by vette196
I'll be doing an Opti soon (hopefully just cap & rotor), but maybe the whole thing.
My question: I saw a post recently about a guy who tests new opti units before you install them. Does anyone have his website/contact info?
No body can reburnish them but Send me a personal e-mail and i will tell u who and what to purchase from
Old 10-10-2017, 11:25 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

I ordered the one off ebay that starts life as an MSD but is disassembled built back up with a Mitsubishi Optical Pickup and has had the GM vent system added.

From what I have found no one has had an issue with it.

And yes the old one was still working when I pulled it. I pulled it to inspect as part of a cooling system overhaul. The sealant looked questionable so I pulled the cap. The rotor was pitted and the cap needed to be replaced and of course the rust. Couldn't see putting it back in as it is being that far into the engine.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fake
No body can reburnish them but Send me a personal e-mail and i will tell u who and what to purchase from
Interesting you say that as the guy I bought my new one from offers a refurbishment for $280.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:21 PM
drcook
Safety Car

read this thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rand-opti.html

and yes they can be refurbished. new bearings put in, the reader cleaned, rotor cap and sealing, that is on the optispark 2's. as far as the 1's (1st iteration) he has a source of new oem readers that he buys and rebuilds units with

he lives here in Ohio and I purchased one from him myself so I could have a spare. I am putting the new one in and then sending my 16K mile oem one to be reworked and put it up on the shelf
Old 10-10-2017, 12:34 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drcook
read this thread

and yes they can be refurbished. new bearings put in, the reader cleaned, rotor cap and sealing, that is on the optispark 2's. as far as the 1's (1st iteration) he has a source of new oem readers that he buys and rebuilds units with

he lives here in Ohio and I purchased one from him myself so I could have a spare. I am putting the new one in and then sending my 16K mile oem one to be reworked and put it up on the shelf
http://stores.ebay.com/OptiDoctor?_t...p2047675.l2563

Here is the guy. Does anyone have a number or email for him? I had a question and it says you can get contact info once you purchase.
Drcook do you have his contact info?

TIA
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vette196
http://stores.ebay.com/OptiDoctor?_t...p2047675.l2563

Here is the guy. Does anyone have a number or email for him? I had a question and it says you can get contact info once you purchase.
Drcook do you have his contact info?

TIA

You should still be able to "ask seller a question" through ebay.

Ebay has been tightening down on outside communications lately. The newest user agreement added additional seller penalties if they can show you conducted a transaction outside Ebay. So the statement about after sell may just be cautionary.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:57 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

read this thread

I understand he also buys used OEMs for 50 bucks (he pays shipping). So I was thinking about sending him the pics and see if it's rebuildable or not. If he thinks he can I'll pay the $280, vacuum seal with desiccant and shelve it.

Last edited by belairbrian; 10-10-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:02 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by belairbrian
You should still be able to "ask seller a question" through ebay.

Ebay has been tightening down on outside communications lately. The newest user agreement added additional seller penalties if they can show you conducted a transaction outside Ebay. So the statement about after sell may just be cautionary.
I hate typing (and my mechanic probably won't), so I was hoping someone had a number or email address.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:47 PM
drcook
Safety Car

the 50.00 is buying the bad one after you buy one of his, that is legal under the user agreement as he is just buying a core to replace the one he sold through eBay. he is also buying ones from junkyards.

from his rebuild listing

Ebay will allow me to share my contact information after you purchase this service. I will email my address to you after you purchase this service.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

the 50.00 is buying the bad one after you buy one of his, that is legal under the user agreement as he is just buying a core to replace the one he sold through eBay. he is also buying ones from junkyards.

from his rebuild listing
The contacting him outside of ebay....F them. I sell on ebay and I don't want to tell you how many people bid and win an item and they disappear, does ebay do anything, NO. They have the buyers cc on file, why not charge that....because ebay sucks and only protects the buyer.

That being said drcook, it sounded like he was nearby to you in Ohio and thought maybe you met him or had contact info

Get notified of new replies

To OPTI bad w/pics Not Pretty

Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 PM
drcook
Safety Car

I have contact info, but I am not at liberty to give it out, .... yet . I just sent him an email asking for permission. Just the same as I would not give out yours.

I met him (online/via email conversations) because I bought one of his units. A few months ago I had sent him communications through eBay and he had class enough to answer, but at that time he did NOT give me his email.

My opinion is/was that we buy insurance. This is like that. What if he gets tired of doing it ? (not that he would, he told me he is having fun and you know he is making money or he wouldn't do it).

I was going to go the LTCC route, in fact I have the coils and what I spent could have gone towards that box (LTCC) but I haven't found a way to attach the coils that satisfied me yet (not saying other folks on the forum here haven't done it right) just that I haven't found the method I wanted to. So I bought one of his optispark 2 units to replace my original one that has 16K miles on it.

I have been trying to share about him just to help you guys out. I have no financial interest, nor have I met him face to face. He lives a little over 100 miles south of me in the Columbus Ohio general area.

that is my story and I am sticking to it.

I still might go the LTCC route, there are new design brackets showing up on eBay all the time, but for the near future, I got some good wires with my accumulated Summit Bucks (from Summit Racing) and I am going to stick a MSD6 something box in.

I have my eye on some repro valve covers that look just like the ones that were on my '65 and they would be hidden by a coil on plug setup.

Last edited by drcook; 10-10-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:53 AM
drcook
Safety Car

C4'ers,

here you go optisparksolutions @ gmail.com

just remove the spaces before and after the @ sign

dc

Last edited by drcook; 10-11-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:09 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

C4'ers,

here you go optisparksolutions @ gmail.com

just remove the spaces before and after the @ sign

dc

Quick Reply: OPTI bad w/pics Not Pretty