C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possibly buying a C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:49 PM
irfangnosis
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default possibly buying a C6

I have a well-used “99” C5 and love the car, but for **** sand giggles, I took a well-used “05”C6 for a drive and was smitten. Everything was nicer than on my car.
Unfortunately, the car had sat for a while and the battery was dead. The information display was going bonkers with all the stuff that needed to be checked.
What is the procedure for going thru the warnings and clearing them, and orfinding out what ones need to be addressed?

My current car is high mileage and at the bottom of the heapas far as C5’s go, and this C6’s I similar, I don’t expect a creampuff but I would like to avoid potential issues.

Last edited by irfangnosis; 10-10-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:38 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

It's normal to have all those error messages show up on the DIC when the battery is dead or dying. They clear themselves when a new battery is installed.
The following users liked this post:
irfangnosis (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 08:58 AM
irfangnosis
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
It's normal to have all those error messages show up on the DIC when the battery is dead or dying. They clear themselves when a new battery is installed.
I know this guy is not going to pop for a new battery. best I can hope for is a few hours on a charger.

I know there was a procedure for going thru the codes on C5 to determine permanent and temporary codes, but my car has been laid up and I didn't drive it this summer, so I don't even remember how to go thru mine. this C6 is even more confusing to operate.

MY C5 needs the no longer made very expensive steering while position sensor in order for everything to work right. Just wondering what could be hinky on this C6?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Without a new battery you really won't be able to tell what might be wrong, if anything, with the C6.

Also, C6's did not come with the code reader that the C5's have. I missed this from when I had my C5 so I compensated by buying a $20 bluetooth OBDII reader that pairs with my Torque Pro app on my phone. Total cost for both: $25.

Last edited by Corvette_Ed; 10-11-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:17 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by irfangnosis
I know this guy is not going to pop for a new battery. best I can hope for is a few hours on a charger.

I know there was a procedure for going thru the codes on C5 to determine permanent and temporary codes, but my car has been laid up and I didn't drive it this summer, so I don't even remember how to go thru mine. this C6 is even more confusing to operate.

MY C5 needs the no longer made very expensive steering while position sensor in order for everything to work right. Just wondering what could be hinky on this C6?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C5...lZLvK2&vxp=mtr

This one?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:24 AM
irfangnosis
Instructor

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Unfortunately NO, mine is a 99 and uses one no longer made....
Old 10-11-2017, 09:32 AM
irfangnosis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Without a new battery you really won't be able to tell what might be wrong, if anything, with the C6.

Also, C6's did not come with the code reader that the C5's have. I missed this from when I had my C5 so I compensated by buying a $20 bluetooth OBDII reader that pairs with my Torque Pro app on my phone. Total cost for both: $25.

If I or he were to disconnect the battery charge it fully, then reattach it what would be the difference?

I know NOTHING about C6's.. I ASSuMEd the DIC was Similar to the C5 if not expanded.

I have a good INNOVA code reader.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

You can't pull the codes up in a C6 like you could a C5, you have to have an outside code reader and plug it up to the car. If the battery is dead, it could throw all kinds of codes, none which may be going on. Either put a good charge on the battery or put a new one in and hopefully the codes will clear themselves.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

If I or he were to disconnect the battery charge it fully, then reattach it what would be the difference?
It would depend on whether or not the battery has enough charge in it to run the car. Even if it shows to be fully charged, under load it could fail. If the battery is completely dead, the best thing to do would be to replace it so you know you have a good battery, and can troubleshoot any issues from there.

I know NOTHING about C6's.. I ASSuMEd the DIC was Similar to the C5 if not expanded.

I have a good INNOVA code reader.
They are similar platforms, but still have quite a few differences as I discovered when I moved from a 00 coupe to my 08 vert.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Innova could work, but I believe it needs to read on a Can Bus also, so you should check the specs of your reader.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
irfangnosis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
It would depend on whether or not the battery has enough charge in it to run the car. Even if it shows to be fully charged, under load it could fail. If the battery is completely dead, the best thing to do would be to replace it so you know you have a good battery, and can troubleshoot any issues from there.

They are similar platforms, but still have quite a few differences as I discovered when I moved from a 00 coupe to my 08 vert.
After all the frustration of getting the car open with a dead battery, after hooking jumper cables up to it and letting the guys escalade charge it for about 5 minutes it started.
After putting the top down I took it down the road for about a mile and a half and turned back. I drove the car enough to want to go into debit to own one. I haven't had a car payment in over 20 years.

I drove the car, it ran. the lights worked, the heated seats worked, I didn't dive in any further into it due to the sellers (not the owners) time constraints.

Sitting from lack of use and a seller who is not the owner are possible red flags, but when you shop at the bottom of the price curve you have to be flexible. I am just trying to get educated and THANKS to everyone's comments I am learning a lot. obviously it would benefit me to have someone who owns one look at it with me.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:46 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately NO, mine is a 99 and uses one no longer made....
You weren't kidding. I did some research on the C5 Sensor and used ones on ebay are going for $290-300. Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:34 PM
irfangnosis
Instructor

Originally Posted by slowstang305
You weren't kidding. I did some research on the C5 Sensor and used ones on ebay are going for $290-300. Absolutely ridiculous.
I would like to know what breaks on them. if it was a plastic part then I could just 3D model one and have my friend print one and repair it. if it is the circuitry that goes bad then I couldn't fix it.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I would like to know what breaks on them. if it was a plastic part then I could just 3D model one and have my friend print one and repair it. if it is the circuitry that goes bad then I couldn't fix it.
This is a big part of the reason I got out of my 00. The EBCM is no longer available and is unrepairable, so if it breaks you're screwed.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:43 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

After all the frustration of getting the car open with a dead battery, after hooking jumper cables up to it and letting the guys escalade charge it for about 5 minutes it started.
After putting the top down I took it down the road for about a mile and a half and turned back. I drove the car enough to want to go into debit to own one. I haven't had a car payment in over 20 years.

I drove the car, it ran. the lights worked, the heated seats worked, I didn't dive in any further into it due to the sellers (not the owners) time constraints.

Sitting from lack of use and a seller who is not the owner are possible red flags, but when you shop at the bottom of the price curve you have to be flexible. I am just trying to get educated and THANKS to everyone's comments I am learning a lot. obviously it would benefit me to have someone who owns one look at it with me.
where are you located in MI?

You can PM if you would rather keep that confidential..............

might be able to assist, depending upon day and time as well as proximity..................
The following users liked this post:
irfangnosis (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 AM
irfangnosis
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkj427
where are you located in MI?

You can PM if you would rather keep that confidential..............

might be able to assist, depending upon day and time as well as proximity..................
Thanks, but I am up north of Midland and the car is In Midland. I bit of a haul from northern Macomb/Oakland county area Thanks for the offer though.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:08 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Thanks, but I am up north of Midland and the car is In Midland. I bit of a haul from northern Macomb/Oakland county area Thanks for the offer though.
have family in Roscommon (Houghton Lake / Higgens Lake) area, so a road trip would NOT be out of the question..........................

just let me know......................

Get notified of new replies

To possibly buying a C6

Old 11-17-2017, 01:21 PM
irfangnosis
Instructor

Originally Posted by rkj427
have family in Roscommon (Houghton Lake / Higgens Lake) area, so a road trip would NOT be out of the question..........................

just let me know......................
I came into some money and put an offer in on the car. If you are headed up to visit or to deer hunt I would love your opinion.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 AM
irfangnosis
Instructor

I am planing on pulling the trigger on this one. Wish me luck!!!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:34 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

More details!

Quick Reply: possibly buying a C6