Northern California Northern California

anyone in norcal building a spec corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:49 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Default anyone in norcal building a spec corvette

just wanted to see how much interest there is up here in norcal.seeing how many,if any,are building a spec or at least thinking about it.be nice to see a classs like this take off up here.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:52 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jonnyc
just wanted to see how much interest there is up here in norcal.seeing how many,if any,are building a spec or at least thinking about it.be nice to see a classs like this take off up here.
I know that Tim Sullivan has one built already and there might be 4-5 more soon. If the series gains some interest and takes off, I could see a lot of these being built. Basically a C5 race car for the cost of a Spec Miata

Keep in mind that the series up here is not being called Spec Corvette. The Nor Cal series is being called SSC5 and is not associated with the Spec Corvette classes in Southern CA.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Racing-Fan
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am seriously considering making the leap and converting my part-time street car to a dedicated Spec vette. I basically only use it on track now for HPDE.

The only time it sees the street is to drive it to Able for service or install of fast parts.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:36 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I know that Tim Sullivan has one built already and there might be 4-5 more soon. If the series gains some interest and takes off, I could see a lot of these being built. Basically a C5 race car for the cost of a Spec Miata

Keep in mind that the series up here is not being called Spec Corvette. The Nor Cal series is being called SSC5 and is not associated with the Spec Corvette classes in Southern CA.
yeah it would be nice to see at least 10-12 cars up here.i know the spec class in socal is starting to get popular and it looks like there is interest in a class back on the east coast.
i'll have to see if i can find more info on the ssc5 and see what they are allowing for mods.looks like it's sfrscca but i can't find any info on their website
Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 PM
jonnyc
Pro

i found some info on ncca facebook page.looks like the "specs" for up here will be different than in socal.to bad the two groups can't come up with the same rules.could end up having some big north vs south events if they could run together.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:58 AM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

What are the rules for a class like this? 400whp limit, C5, T56?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:11 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Originally Posted by lt1z
What are the rules for a class like this? 400whp limit, C5, T56?
i can't seem to find the rules for the norcal class.but here are the socal rules http://speccorvette.com/rules
Old 10-18-2017, 12:55 AM
magracy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spec corvette candidate

I have a 2001 zo6 track car that may make a good candidate for a spec corvette for sale. I run TT at Nasa norcal events. No cage but can install one for the right price. It has poly control arm bushings, pfaht coil overs, bump steer kits, big brakes or stock. Engine has had top end rebuild do to bad lifter, long tube headers, no cats but is registered throught 6-18. $10,000
Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, SFR SCCA will be running a SSC5 class next season. Cost is affordable and this will be a great class. We are working on getting it approved for T2 as well. (Some changes need to be made to the current national GCR for that) This will be regional for the SFR region. SFR BOD approved today (with final review of tech).

So far we have 1 car built as the prototype. It was at the last Laguna Regional, and will be at the Season Finale at Thunderhill.

Some of the specs:

LG Suspension kit at discount ted price for SCCA members racing in the series. This includes coil overs, adjustable end links and performance sway bars. also camber locks, and poly bushings.
LG also supplying the long tube headers and x-pipe. also at a discount.

Ron at AIM tires also will be supplying the tires. We are using Toyo RR's at this point.

Front calipers get swapped out with Willwood's.

Squared 18 x 10.5 Z06 wheels.

Abel Chevrolet will have specific corner weighting and alignment prices (TBA). They know there stuff and have been a great supporter! Thanks Rich!

Remember, this in not the same as what you have seen in the Socal area. Approved parts and vendors will be coming out shortly. I believe we have gone with the best products and manufacturers to keep this a cost effective and fun class! Go get yourself a car (non ZO6), but don't buy the parts until you get the approved list. Hoping to get quite a few for next year to keep this competitive!!

More info to follow. This initial build was just at $20k, including cost of car!

On track at Laguna

In the paddock

Last edited by timbo79; 10-18-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:15 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Originally Posted by timbo79
Yes, SFR SCCA will be running a SSC5 class next season. Cost is affordable and this will be a great class. We are working on getting it approved for T2 as well. (Some changes need to be made to the current national GCR for that) This will be regional for the SFR region. SFR BOD approved today (with final review of tech).

So far we have 1 car built as the prototype. It was at the last Laguna Regional, and will be at the Season Finale at Thunderhill.

Some of the specs:

LG Suspension kit at discount ted price for SCCA members racing in the series. This includes coil overs, adjustable end links and performance sway bars. also camber locks, and poly bushings.
LG also supplying the long tube headers and x-pipe. also at a discount.

Ron at AIM tires also will be supplying the tires. We are using Toyo RR's at this point.

Front calipers get swapped out with Willwood's.

Squared 18 x 10.5 Z06 wheels.

Abel Chevrolet will have specific corner weighting and alignment prices (TBA). They know there stuff and have been a great supporter! Thanks Rich!

Remember, this in not the same as what you have seen in the Socal area. Approved parts and vendors will be coming out shortly. I believe we have gone with the best products and manufacturers to keep this a cost effective and fun class! Go get yourself a car (non ZO6), but don't buy the parts until you get the approved list. Hoping to get quite a few for next year to keep this competitive!!

More info to follow. This initial build was just at $20k, including cost of car!

On track at Laguna

In the paddock
what if you already have a z06 with delrin bushings,t1 swaybars,and lg gt2 coilovers?
Old 10-18-2017, 08:53 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

what if you already have a z06 with delrin bushings,t1 swaybars,and lg gt2 coilovers?
A spec class car has to be built to the class rules with the specified parts or oem parts only.The idea is to build a car that is the same as all other cars to keep cost low .Since c5 cars are getting older they make a cheap platform for this.The c5 will run fast lap times compared to other classes in the SCCA.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Originally Posted by odxr
A spec class car has to be built to the class rules with the specified parts or oem parts only.The idea is to build a car that is the same as all other cars to keep cost low .Since c5 cars are getting older they make a cheap platform for this.The c5 will run fast lap times compared to other classes in the SCCA.
that's what i'm trying to find out is what the rules allow.for the socal spec class you can have mono-ball,delrin,poly,or stock bushings.and starting in 2018.if you have a base c5 you can bring it up to ls6 specs using ls6 cam,intake,and 243 heads.
up here,if you have a z06 will it need to be de-tuned to ls1 enginge specs?which lg shocks are they going to allow?since t1 bars are similar to lg bars will they allow them?
like i said i can't seem to find the specific rules from them
Old 10-19-2017, 01:10 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If the SF region of the SCCA is the sanctioning body they will have the rules/official parts list.Those guys can be very picky.I used to build cars for people many years ago.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:01 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

What? Two spec corvette classes in CA and they are running different rules and parts? Sounds like a good recipe for failure. Spec miata is successful because the rules and parts are consistent among race groups across the country. Who is trying to put together the NorCal series? Who is coming up with the rules and spec parts? Both groups might want to take a breath and get together to make a single unified series. That will result in much more bargaining power in getting the series approved for national racing.
The following 3 users liked this post by redtopz:
chetly (11-14-2017), moose.b3 (10-20-2017), Racing-Fan (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:09 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

i can't seem to find the rules for the norcal class.but here are the socal rules http://speccorvette.com/rules
So for the Socal class anyway you have to have a bone stock LS1 w/o cats or a bone stock LS6 with restrictor plate of some size, stock ECM (which will differ from years to year OS and programming wise). Then you are allowed brakes, suspension and tires. Ls6 manifold stock on some year C5s vs others.

What is the Norcal class going to do differently?

Seems like by those rules an 04 C5 M6 would be the way to go.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:51 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

So for the Socal class anyway you have to have a bone stock LS1 w/o cats or a bone stock LS6 with restrictor plate of some size, stock ECM (which will differ from years to year OS and programming wise). Then you are allowed brakes, suspension and tires. Ls6 manifold stock on some year C5s vs others.

The SFR of the SCCA will be running this class, named SSC5. Bone stock C5 LS6 manifold allowed.
Front brakes, suspension and tires all the same (specs to be released soon)
Exhaust system also changed.
We toyed with the idea of C5 ZO6's, but decided against as a restrictor plate, etc. would cause problems on the max hp we will enforce (Dyno testing) Hence Spec Sealed Corvette C5.
Level playing field and keeping the cost low.
The test car pictured has a build cost of just about $20,000.. that includes the price of the car. It is a 2001. (Check out the livery and you can get an idea of the parts we are using, and who is assisting us)
You can find these out there. The actual specs will be released shortly after the Regional finals on the weekend of October 28th/29th

We will also be working with National to perhaps have this eligible to run in the T2 class. (National Class... A Vette won it this year at Indy)

More to come....Start looking for a car now..

Last edited by timbo79; 10-19-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:02 PM
jonnyc
Pro

starting next year they are removing the restrictor plate and allowing the ls1 guys to have ls6 cam,intake and 243 heads if they want to.i think their minimum weight is 3250 so z06 guys might have to add alittle weight.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone in norcal building a spec corvette

Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Originally Posted by timbo79
The SFR of the SCCA will be running this class, named SSC5. Bone stock C5 LS6 manifold allowed.
Front brakes, suspension and tires all the same (specs to be released soon)
Exhaust system also changed.
We toyed with the idea of C5 ZO6's, but decided against as a restrictor plate, etc. would cause problems on the max hp we will enforce (Dyno testing) Hence Spec Sealed Corvette C5.
Level playing field and keeping the cost low.
The test car pictured has a build cost of just about $20,000.. that includes the price of the car. It is a 2001. (Check out the livery and you can get an idea of the parts we are using, and who is assisting us)
You can find these out there. The actual specs will be released shortly after the Regional finals on the weekend of October 28th/29th

We will also be working with National to perhaps have this eligible to run in the T2 class. (National Class... A Vette won it this year at Indy)

More to come....Start looking for a car now..
i think not allowing z06's is a mistake.that will force the guys who already own one to sell theirs and have to buy a coupe.i would mine changing a few parts to meet spec but i don't think i would want to sell my z and start over.

like redtop said,it would be beneficial to both groups if they can come together with specs
Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 PM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

i think not allowing z06's is a mistake.that will force the guys who already own one to sell theirs and have to buy a coupe.i would mine changing a few parts to meet spec but i don't think i would want to sell my z and start over.

like redtop said,it would be beneficial to both groups if they can come together with specs
I didn't realize what a PIA it is to get a new class blessed as a regional in the SFR SCCA. The idea from the outset was to get a class that would be competitive as well as "low cost" so people could actually compete all season and have fun. We went into this knowing not "everyone" would be happy and everyone would have different ideas. We reached out to folks racing cars, as well as a local race dealership. We kept to the goal of keeping the build cost (with car cost) less than $25,000 We have basically done that, with the first build coming in at just about $20,000. Then we had to have the rules written per the GCR codes and complying with the SCCA rules. The subject of ZO6's did come up. Using the $25,000 threshold, as well as availability of cars, and the higher cost of the Z06's, we decided to, at least for now, exclude them. We want this class to be ready for the 2018 Regional Race season. It starts in March, and there are 14 regional races over the course of 7 dual race weekends. In addition, there is a Majors race, as well as a Driving School in February. With no disrespect to the folks in Southern CA, we elected to stay on course with the plan, as a change could stop the class from meeting the 2018 schedule.
That being said, I did see the SoCal folks specs. They aren't that much different. It basically comes down to parts and which manufacturer we are purchasing from. We have put together a basic package, with discounts, for those that would like to race in this class. it will be competitive wheel to wheel racing in the San Francisco Region of the SCCA. We do have people that come to our races from other regions, and specifically Cal Club down south. All are Welcome. As a Spec class, however, the cars must meet the guidelines.
We will have the final build sheets and specs out shortly. Moist likely after the conclusion of the Season Finale races at Thunderhill the 27-29th.
We will have the Corvette at Thunderhioll that weekend, and possibly racing it in the Enduro on Sunday!
Feel free to ask questions! And remember.. the 2018 season will be here before you know it!

I just checked the For Sale area and saw this in CA

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-10-950-a.html

Not a bad price...

Last edited by timbo79; 10-20-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:04 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

As someone else said, why don't you use the same rules as socal? It doesn't make sense to offer basically the same class but different rules. Unify man. You will like the results.

Quick Reply: anyone in norcal building a spec corvette