C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 04:01 PM
JJB82
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing a tune

I have a diablo trinity tuner. Does anyone know if installing this tune on my C7 will interfere with my factory warranty or an aftermarket warranty once my factory warranty is expired? Obviously if the car had a tune on it I would return it to stock before going to the dealer. My question is would the dealer he able to tell that the car previously had a tune on it? I know the dealer cannot automatically void your warranty just because of a tune. By law they have to prove to the customer that the tune caused the problem which brought you to the dealer. However, that sounds like a huge legal headache that I would prefer not to deal with. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you
Old 10-16-2017, 07:29 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Go to this site and do a "search" there for "Diablo", and you will have numerous different answers to your question. They will apply to your C7.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-tune-124/

Last edited by jim2092; 10-17-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

I had one on my c7 had to take it in for war work I put the stock tune back into the car. They never said nothing at all. Got it done under warr got back home put the tuner back onto the car.

Just put the stock tune back into the car before taking it in. Plus by what they say & I was told this one is the only tuner if putting it back to stock GM computer cant tell it. Robert
Old 10-16-2017, 11:50 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
I had one on my c7 had to take it in for war work I put the stock tune back into the car. They never said nothing at all. Got it done under warr got back home put the tuner back onto the car.

Just put the stock tune back into the car before taking it in. Plus by what they say & I was told this one is the only tuner if putting it back to stock GM computer cant tell it. Robert
Ditto, from what I have "seen" and also from reading some Diablosport owners real world experiences.

Any time you take the car to the dealer for any type of service "always" return the tune to stock before you take it in.

Bill

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-19-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

No issues with my Diablo and warranty work, just make sure you flash back to stock before going in.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:35 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I would not rely on ANY aftermarket tuner to fully hide itself from GM. If you opt to install a tune, you're rolling the dice.
The following users liked this post:
astaggs (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 03:14 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default DS handheld tuner

I have seen some posts where the dealer sent the info from the car's ECM/PCM to GM for checking to see if the car is or had been tuned. The results were negative.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:22 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

No need to even send it to GM, you (well, the tech or dealer) can tell from looking at the screen whether the last dozen or so tunes were authorized GM or not.

I've never heard of GM actually trying to figure out -what- was changed in a tune, though they no doubt could if they wanted to... in a current tune.

I changed my tire size parameters when I installed drag radials. Poof! Warranty gone.. whoops!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:47 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

From what little I "know" we will have to agree to disagree.

PS: Did you use HP Tuners, etc.? vvvvv

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
No need to even send it to GM, you (well, the tech or dealer) can tell from looking at the screen whether the last dozen or so tunes were authorized GM or not.

I've never heard of GM actually trying to figure out -what- was changed in a tune, though they no doubt could if they wanted to... in a current tune.

I changed my tire size parameters when I installed drag radials. Poof! Warranty gone.. whoops!

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-17-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:26 PM
JJB82
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man

Never used HP. Just the trinity. I bought it for my C6. I was going to sell it, but since it works with my C7 I figured I’d keep it
Old 10-18-2017, 05:51 AM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

The problem will be when something breaks. If you blow your engine or something else drive train related you will need to put stock tune back on. Tech can tell ECM was reset. He can tell how many miles driven since ECM reset. He can see readiness codes in ECM are still present since car is broken and you can’t drive car to remove readiness codes. At that point you are screwed.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:12 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

NEVER seen or heard of 1 case where GM voided a warranty because the PCM had a higher flash count than what they thought it should be.

And I've been on corvetteforum for 18 yrs
C7/Z06 Man (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man

OK, but I don't know what we're disagreeing about. I used HPTuners but checked into Diablo first to see if it was any different, was told (in a roundabout way by their competitors) it was just as detectable. I have no idea what the reality is, only what I've been told, as I've never touched a Diablo.

Last edited by davepl; 10-18-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:09 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default See Post #12 above.

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
OK, but I don't know what we're disagreeing about. I used HPTuners but checked into Diablo first to see if it was any different, was told (in a roundabout way by their competitors) it was just as detectable. I have no idea what the reality is, only what I've been told, as I've never touched a Diablo.
My understanding of HPTuners is if you change things in the tune GM will see it, causing cancellation of your warranty.

However, HP Tuners is a very good tuner, most likely the best on the market for tuning (my understanding) for a number of reasons. So if you are 'not' worried about keeping your warranty then HP is the way to go.

I have read a number of DS owner threads (they had no problems with warranty work and/or replacements) where an engine, a rearend and/or the transmission took a crap and most likely the "canned" or modified DS tune did not have a thing to do with bad engine lifters, etc. or an A8 trans that is not acting right or maybe the rear spider gears let go from wheel hop which does happen.

People have also used the DS tuners "just" for removing that annoying V8/V4 mode that has been known to mess up A8 C7 transmission torque converters.

Well with the HP tuner you would be "SH_T OUT OF LUCK" and the above things have happen with or without the OEM tune.

PS: DiabloSport tuners are very easy to use and hard to mess things up. Hell even non-tuners like me on these "computer controlled/programed cars" have very little trouble following their directions.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-19-2017 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL
NEVER seen or heard of 1 case where GM voided a warranty because the PCM had a higher flash count than what they thought it should be.

Well sir, here ya go.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...just-blew.html

Post #74
Engine was taken apart today. A valve spring broke, dropping valve into piston.. they sent computer info to GM and discovered that previous owner had in fact tuned it. Was also told my powertrain warranty has been voided. I contacted chevy customer service and was told that a customer relations manager would review everything and contact me.

Gonna see what a few local shops would charge for crate motor install, may look into good set of Pistons also and a fresh tune. Or just factory crate motor with factory manifold and tune. Will see who offers what..
Old 10-19-2017, 12:37 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YO-EL

It's not the flash count, that's from previous generations. The current chip keeps a log of the hash (what they call a CVN, or Calibration Validation Number, or something like that). Each tune, factory or otherwise, hashes out to a magic number. If that's one of the magic numbers of a GM tune, you're fine. If it's random (ie: custom tune), it's obvious.

So, nothing to do with counts. The only thing I don't know is what happens if you age out a custom tune with a dozen factory tunes, but that's a pretty far edge case.

FWIW, in order for a GM dealership to replace a major engine assembly, they MUST provide GM a screenshot of the log. I've posted that policy and the paperwork previously.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:48 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Nothing for the dealer to see when you use the Trinity. CVNs are not changed with our device.
C7/Z06 Man (10-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a tune

Old 10-19-2017, 01:22 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Nothing for the dealer to see when you use the Trinity. CVNs are not changed with our device.
Could I restore an HPTuners-modified ecm to stock by purchasing a Trinity and getting an original tune from someone else?
Old 10-19-2017, 05:20 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Like I said before in a previous post, a dealer sent a screenshot to GM that 'had' a DS tune installed/removed and it came back "Negative".

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-19-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Default No mention of DS by OP so why was this even posted.

News Flash: No mention of DS from the Original Poster in the thread below; most tuners from what I read on here use HP Tuning.

Originally Posted by Martman C7

Well sir, here ya go.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...just-blew.html

Post #74
Engine was taken apart today. A valve spring broke, dropping valve into piston.. they sent computer info to GM and discovered that previous owner had in fact tuned it. Was also told my powertrain warranty has been voided. I contacted chevy customer service and was told that a customer relations manager would review everything and contact me.

Gonna see what a few local shops would charge for crate motor install, may look into good set of Pistons also and a fresh tune. Or just factory crate motor with factory manifold and tune. Will see who offers what..

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-19-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing a tune