C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Question about running non ZP PSS tires on HPDE road course

Old 10-16-2017, 05:31 PM
wwx8989
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about running non ZP PSS tires on HPDE road course

As the title says, They are the closest size that not too tall compare to the stock size, I'm just about to finish the stock tires on the car, wondering have anyone run with non ZP tires on their car for road course? I did some research and most the reply is they are quieter and softer on road, but how they handle while being pushed? I had 4 days of HPDE on the stock PSS ZP tires, and they are down to the safety line.

thanks in advance for anyone that has some good advice
Frank
Old 10-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by wwx8989

As the title says, They are the closest size that not too tall compare to the stock size, I'm just about to finish the stock tires on the car, wondering have anyone run with non ZP tires on their car for road course? I did some research and most the reply is they are quieter and softer on road, but how they handle while being pushed? I had 4 days of HPDE on the stock PSS ZP tires, and they are down to the safety line.

thanks in advance for anyone that has some good advice
Frank
I have those non zps on my Z06 and like many love them on the street. As a test this summer I spent a full day running them at Watkins Glen then switched the next day to well worn out Cup 2s. There was no comparison as the cups that went in the trash the following day were over 2 seconds better than the non zps. The non's were not a bad tire and were a bit more to handle than the cups. Noticeably less grip but enough to be predictable. This tire is probably one of the most popular street\track tire built. BTW they were much better than the Conti Extremes that I ran a couple of times on the track.

I hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
wwx8989 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 09:53 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

If you can wait for the DTD sales you'll save yourself about $300. I run this setup and love it.
The following users liked this post:
wwx8989 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 10:29 PM
wwx8989
Advanced

Originally Posted by cvp33
If you can wait for the DTD sales you'll save yourself about $300. I run this setup and love it.
What is DTD sales?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2017, 10:32 PM
wwx8989
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
I have those non zps on my Z06 and like many love them on the street. As a test this summer I spent a full day running them at Watkins Glen then switched the next day to well worn out Cup 2s. There was no comparison as the cups that went in the trash the following day were over 2 seconds better than the non zps. The non's were not a bad tire and were a bit more to handle than the cups. Noticeably less grip but enough to be predictable. This tire is probably one of the most popular street\track tire built. BTW they were much better than the Conti Extremes that I ran a couple of times on the track.

I hope this helps.
thanks for the reply, I know it wont have near the grip that cup 2 gives, but as this is my only car, and I don't have another set of track wheels, this will be my best option for now. Do you notice anything like PTM dont like these tires? those new cars are very sensitive

your reply helped a lot
Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by wwx8989
Do you notice anything like PTM dont like these tires? those new cars are very sensitive

your reply helped a lot
Not that sensitive. I have run several different sizes from the stock Cup2s to Hoosiers that had a larger rear tire diameter to Pirelli P Zero Slicks that had different front and rear tire diameters and didn't maintain the ratio between front and rear. No issues with anything.

Bill
Old 10-16-2017, 11:11 PM
wwx8989
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not that sensitive. I have run several different sizes from the stock Cup2s to Hoosiers that had a larger rear tire diameter to Pirelli P Zero Slicks that had different front and rear tire diameters and didn't maintain the ratio between front and rear. No issues with anything.

Bill
thanks Bill!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:07 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

They are a nice tire but not the same level as the MPSS runflat which is Corvette spec tire. They will do better in the rain and last longer but not as good at the limit. I have had many sets of those. I just sold a set last week because they lack compared to the runflats. They are great tire just not as good the corvette factory tire.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:35 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

DTD = Discount Tire Direct
Old 10-17-2017, 08:22 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

If you decide to run them I can provide significant savings one a NEW set of rears I have for sale.

My price: $650
DTD: $723
Tire Rack: $828

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...0-shipped.html

Get notified of new replies

To Question about running non ZP PSS tires on HPDE road course

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about running non ZP PSS tires on HPDE road course