C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] paint stripper bleed-through

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 PM
djbaumhover
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default paint stripper bleed-through

I have a 59 Corvette that was stripped with a water soluable stripper in the mid 90's that I think was a product called AutoStrip. Three times since being professionally painted, there appears to be bleed-through (small bubbles) around the cowl area. The rest of the body is fine, even though the entire body was stripped with this product. My body man says it's due to the stripper bleeding through. He's cleaned, heated the area with heat lamps trying to dry it out and put a coat of fiberglass over the bad area before re-painting. It believe it to be base coat, clear coat. It comes out of his shop looking great, but after a few months, the bubbles reappear. Any ideas of a permanent fix for this?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Brucebodyman
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Where in cowl area. If it's anywhere near master cyl it's probably brake fluid embedded in glass. When it's repaired it's removing top layer then after painting it wicks back to surface.
The following users liked this post:
djbaumhover (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 AM
djbaumhover
Heel & Toe

Default C1 paint stripper bleed-through

It's on both sides of the cowl vent and on top of the front fenders, just in front of the windshield. I think I have to agree with my body man that it's stripper rather than brake fluid due to where it's affected. And, regarding brake fluid, it's silicone.

Last edited by djbaumhover; 10-17-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Is he using a gelcoat or at least an epoxy primer ?
djbaumhover (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:59 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Any chance that the nose was replaced?? Corvette Image had some major issues back in the late 80's, early 90's with the vinyl esters that they were using. They are still showing up today on some of those parts. The only way that I've been able to fix them is to drill them out.

Just for the record, they addressed the problem years ago, and the parts that they sell today are fine.

One way to tell is that the blisters are very hard, and are in the glass--not the paint. If you sand them down, they will show up again in the exact same spot. Sometimes you'll find a little bright green spec inside the blister.
djbaumhover (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I would doubt it is from the chemical stripping. Sounds like Captain Lee's Spray Strip was used. It's been used on many, many cars, including mine, without issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by DansYellow66:
djbaumhover (10-17-2017), Mary C (08-01-2018)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

How to repair this you asked??? When I deal with issues like this....I remove the bad body material and replace it with fresh mat and resin.

I will grind down the area rather extensively...almost to the point where I grind all the way through the panel. In some areas I may grind all the way through but where I grind through the hole is small. Then I apply the mat and resin and finish out the body as I normally do.

IN MY OPINION...by doing it this way. I am removing almost all of the bad material...and with fresh material going on top of it. I feel that that super thin layer of original body material that may have it in it is so minute..that it is doubtful that it will migrate up through the new body material.

I also clean and make sure the underside of the panel where the damage is cleaned well...and in some cases....I apply a non absorbing material (like aluminum foil tape) as a barrier so IF something is still getting on the underside of the panel it is getting stopped.

Originally Posted by djbaumhover
It's on both sides of the cowl vent and on top of the front fenders, just in front of the windshield. I think I have to agree with my body man that it's stripper rather than brake fluid due to where it's affected. And, regarding brake fluid, it's silicone.
Silicone brake fluid is just as bad if not worse than the regular DOT 3.

FACT: I had a customer with a 1986 Corvette and he used the tire shine like no other., What happened was the spatter that would sling off the tire and get up under the quarter panel. In time... it saturated the quarter panel and made it so the paint bubbled up. When I stripped off the paint there was defined line where the silicone had soaked into the SMC and you could see the undamaged light gray SMC and the darker SMC. And the arc pattern in the quarter panel perfectly match the plastic liner for the rear wheel house. And that is SMC which has improved properties in it than the fiberglass you have in you Corvette...and it still failed. SO...silicone brake fluid is no joke.

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I would doubt it is from the chemical stripping. Sounds like Captain Lee's Spray Strip was used. It's been used on many, many cars, including mine, without issue.
I seriously doubt that chemical stripper did that. Especially with the fact that it is only doing it in one general area...which oddly enough is associated to exposure to engine compartment contaminates.

DUB
djbaumhover (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:27 PM
djbaumhover
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Any chance that the nose was replaced?? Corvette Image had some major issues back in the late 80's, early 90's with the vinyl esters that they were using. They are still showing up today on some of those parts. The only way that I've been able to fix them is to drill them out.

Just for the record, they addressed the problem years ago, and the parts that they sell today are fine.

One way to tell is that the blisters are very hard, and are in the glass--not the paint. If you sand them down, they will show up again in the exact same spot. Sometimes you'll find a little bright green spec inside the blister.
The nose is original. When it was stripped, it was evident it had major left front fender damage long before I purchased the car in '98. I wish it would have been replaced.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:19 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I've stripped many with paint stripper and have never had an issue using it, including my 1960 that I stripped 30+ years ago. If it was a problem with the stripper, it would not be localized to a specific area.

Get notified of new replies

To paint stripper bleed-through

Quick Reply: [C1] paint stripper bleed-through