C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Serpentine Belt Keeps Falling OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:50 PM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Serpentine Belt Keeps Falling OFF!

Help!

I have been trying to fix this problem all summer with no luck!

The motor is 5 years old 1991 L98 396 SB stroker motor (running for 4) with maybe 4k on the motor at most. The water pump, alternator, harmonic balancer, and belt tensioner were all replaced at time of new motor. The only 2 pulleys that were left on the motor were the a/c (original ac) and the smog pump delete pulley.

The car has been dyno tuned and driven hard as well and the belt didn't move at all until end of last summer/beginning of this summer.

At first it appeared it was slipping off the smog pump delete pulley and I couldn't figure it out till I noticed the grooves on the pulley were worn so I replaced that and the belt did not fall off for about 5 drives. Then it started again and was (and still is) falling off at the a/c compressor pulley. I was reading online it could be due to the a/c compressor engaging or not engaging so I unplugged the a/c compressor (since it doesn't work anyway) to try and eliminate that as the issue....but no it still falls off on the a/c pulley after a 5 min drive.

I have tried the laser alignment tool to see where it could be off and that tool didn't help to much at all since the tool needed to be on metal grooves for the laser to go off ...the smog pump delete pulley is plastic. But checking the other pulleys they did not appear to be off.

Any ideas?

I'm sure its's something very dumb but I can't drive the car anymore at this point and the summers are short enough up here!

:will y:
Belt falling off A/C

Last edited by littleredcorvette88; 10-19-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-19-2017, 07:28 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Since all the spinning wheels are static, except you tensioner, I'd start there.

I bet if you swap in a new tensioner, you'd fix your problem.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the crank balancer, possibly seperated from the rubber inner ring and "walking" fore/aft?

Joel
Old 10-19-2017, 09:39 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by littleredcorvette88

Help!

I have been trying to fix this problem all summer with no luck!

The motor is 5 years old 1991 L98 396 SB stroker motor (running for 4) with maybe 4k on the motor at most. The water pump, alternator, harmonic balancer, and belt tensioner were all replaced at time of new motor. The only 2 pulleys that were left on the motor were the a/c (original ac) and the smog pump delete pulley.

The car has been dyno tuned and driven hard as well and the belt didn't move at all until end of last summer/beginning of this summer.

At first it appeared it was slipping off the smog pump delete pulley and I couldn't figure it out till I noticed the grooves on the pulley were worn so I replaced that and the belt did not fall off for about 5 drives. Then it started again and was (and still is) falling off at the a/c compressor pulley. I was reading online it could be due to the a/c compressor engaging or not engaging so I unplugged the a/c compressor (since it doesn't work anyway) to try and eliminate that as the issue....but no it still falls off on the a/c pulley after a 5 min drive.

I have tried the laser alignment tool to see where it could be off and that tool didn't help to much at all since the tool needed to be on metal grooves for the laser to go off ...the smog pump delete pulley is plastic. But checking the other pulleys they did not appear to be off.

Any ideas?

I'm sure its's something very dumb but I can't drive the car anymore at this point and the summers are short enough up here!

:will y:
Belt falling off A/C
I had serpentine belt problems, and eventually found that the bracket that holds the alternator had cracked and allowed the alternator to mis-align. I would check all brackets to make sure none of them have cracked or broken. Check the bolts on that air conditioning compressor bracket too. Best wishes, steve
Old 10-20-2017, 08:01 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... How long since the belt was changed ? .....
Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 AM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Since all the spinning wheels are static, except you tensioner, I'd start there.

I bet if you swap in a new tensioner, you'd fix your problem.

I'm on my second one now....but I did notice when it's running the tensioner was hopping up and down a bit. Not sure if that's normal or not?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:07 AM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Originally Posted by joeld
Check the crank balancer, possibly seperated from the rubber inner ring and "walking" fore/aft?

Joel
would I be able to see this without removal of the balancer itself?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:15 AM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Originally Posted by flyboyslc1
I had serpentine belt problems, and eventually found that the bracket that holds the alternator had cracked and allowed the alternator to mis-align. I would check all brackets to make sure none of them have cracked or broken. Check the bolts on that air conditioning compressor bracket too. Best wishes, steve

My a/c bracket was cracked at the time of the new motor and I had that aluminum welded and it's still good. The bolts are super tight as well.

Originally the belt was falling off the smog pump delete pulley that had worn out and falling into the alternator...then shredding on the alternator blades.

Once the smog pump pulley was replaced it never fell off from there again and has moved down to the a/c...so I'm thinking the smog pump delete pulley/ bracket assembly is fine as well.

Maybe the tensioner has gone bad even though it was replaced before? ....but then again it was an autozone one...not sure if that could cause an issue?

Are there any other areas/brackets you looked at while you had your serpentine belt issue that I may not have checked?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 AM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Originally Posted by C409
..... How long since the belt was changed ? .....
Late last summer - August and then again maybe June this year (after a few drives) and then again early August 2017 and from then on I've only driven it around a few streets maybe 2 mile total trip to test to see if it stays on.

Latest test around the block starting in august 2017

test 1 - Fell off at A/C - not completely - put back into place
test 2 - Stayed on
test 3 - Fell off at A/C - not completely - put back into place
Old 10-20-2017, 10:17 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

It looks like the back of the belt has grooves on it. The pulleys that the back of the belt contacts should be smooth. Sight along the front edge of the pulleys to see if they are in alignment. Use the shortest belt that will fit when the tensioner is at full tension.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Originally Posted by 383vett
It looks like the back of the belt has grooves on it. The pulleys that the back of the belt contacts should be smooth. Sight along the front edge of the pulleys to see if they are in alignment. Use the shortest belt that will fit when the tensioner is at full tension.

Yes the photo appears that way but that was when the car was running. The grooves of the belt are on the right way.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:30 AM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Default take a look for cracked lower alt bracket

My a/c bracket was cracked at the time of the new motor and I had that aluminum welded and it's still good. The bolts are super tight as well.

Originally the belt was falling off the smog pump delete pulley that had worn out and falling into the alternator...then shredding on the alternator blades.

Once the smog pump pulley was replaced it never fell off from there again and has moved down to the a/c...so I'm thinking the smog pump delete pulley/ bracket assembly is fine as well.

Maybe the tensioner has gone bad even though it was replaced before? ....but then again it was an autozone one...not sure if that could cause an issue?

Are there any other areas/brackets you looked at while you had your serpentine belt issue that I may not have checked?

Thanks!
Since you have done some engine work, I don't know if you are still using original brackets for accessories or not? I do know that my tensioner started making the same rattling noises you spoke of. I removed the tensioner and it was fine. What the tensioner rattling told me was that it had reached the limit of it's ability to tension the belt, and the belt was moving off of the pulleys. That was when I started to remove accessories, starting with the alternator. Don't have the car close by but from what I remember the alternator has a top bracket, that for me was till good. Taking the alternator off revealed what looked like a good bottom bracket, but looking closely I could see that it was cracked by a bolt hole boss. This allowed the bracket to flex, shortening belt effective length, and with the tensioner unable to take up the slack, the belt started to walk. I will see if I can plug in a couple of pictures. Since photobucket walked away I don't know if it will work or not. either way best wishes, steve

Well, looks like it worked? Here is a pic of the bracket I am talking about

At the end of the cotter pin is the crack I am talking about. That is all it took to make the belt not work.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:03 AM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
There is misalignment with the pulley before the A/C compressor causing the belt to 'jump' like that. IIRC, the pulley before the A/C is the tensioner and pulley. Check to be sure the pulley axis is square to the belt, and not at an angle. If the belt runs across a pulley that is not square, the "high" side of the belt is loaded more than the "low" side, and will shred itself fairly quickly.

I had a Syclone V6 that shredded two belts in 1,500 miles after I got the project driving. On the 4.3, there is a idler pulley 4" before the A/C. It seats on an aluminum spacer with an index for the center of the pulley's bearing. The index on my spacer had worn, been mangled, and the idler pulley was cocked at a slight angle, which edge-loads the belt. Took two $40 belts to figure it out. So check the index that the tensioner pulley rides on.

Again, in my experience, the "problem" will be with the pulley just before the pulley that the belt is not riding correctly on.

I will check this out...thanks!
Old 10-23-2017, 11:07 AM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Since you have done some engine work, I don't know if you are still using original brackets for accessories or not? I do know that my tensioner started making the same rattling noises you spoke of. I removed the tensioner and it was fine. What the tensioner rattling told me was that it had reached the limit of it's ability to tension the belt, and the belt was moving off of the pulleys. That was when I started to remove accessories, starting with the alternator. Don't have the car close by but from what I remember the alternator has a top bracket, that for me was till good. Taking the alternator off revealed what looked like a good bottom bracket, but looking closely I could see that it was cracked by a bolt hole boss. This allowed the bracket to flex, shortening belt effective length, and with the tensioner unable to take up the slack, the belt started to walk. I will see if I can plug in a couple of pictures. Since photobucket walked away I don't know if it will work or not. either way best wishes, steve

Well, looks like it worked? Here is a pic of the bracket I am talking about

At the end of the cotter pin is the crack I am talking about. That is all it took to make the belt not work.

Wow....if that's all it took I will defiantly need to take a real good look at all brackets. Did you have any belt issue after that crack was fixed or did you get a new bracket?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

"My a/c bracket was cracked at the time of the new motor and I had that aluminum welded and it's still good. The bolts are super tight as well. "
If the brackets need to hold as tight a tolerance as others had mentioned my suspicion is this welded bracket. Welding can warp metal.

Also I doubt the bracket got heat treated afterward so it may have bent under load.

Last edited by 3D-Aircrew; 10-23-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added
Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 PM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Default Bought a used bracket

Wow....if that's all it took I will defiantly need to take a real good look at all brackets. Did you have any belt issue after that crack was fixed or did you get a new bracket?
It seems that these brackets break quite often. Sparky at vettnuts sold me a used one. When you finally find the problem, let us all know please. As others have said, it is an alignment issue, but not easy to determine what is out of alignment.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Red 91
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There are at least 3 steel tube reinforcement braces for the alt. and AC brackets. These have to be installed or the brackets will break.

Get notified of new replies

To Serpentine Belt Keeps Falling OFF!

Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 PM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Started taking it apart tonight and noticed one of the a/c molting bolts was never installed. With that being said tho the car was fine like that for 4 years of driving roughly and hard dyno pulls etc. I would still like to order the bolt though. Anyone have any idea where to source the alternator bolts?

I will be taking the a/c compressor bracket off tomorrow and will keep you updated!

Old 10-28-2017, 09:02 AM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Default Never installed?

Started taking it apart tonight and noticed one of the a/c molting bolts was never installed. With that being said tho the car was fine like that for 4 years of driving roughly and hard dyno pulls etc. I would still like to order the bolt though. Anyone have any idea where to source the alternator bolts?

I will be taking the a/c compressor bracket off tomorrow and will keep you updated!

My thought is that it is unlikely that the last bolt was never installed. Never properly tightened perhaps. I think it worked lose and your AC is now flexing and possibly cracked. You are getting closer.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:11 AM
flyboyslc1
Melting Slicks

Default Getting to AC bracket bottom bolts

My thought is that it is unlikely that the last bolt was never installed. Never properly tightened perhaps. I think it worked lose and your AC is now flexing and possibly cracked. You are getting closer.
You may already know all of this, but getting at the bottom bolts on that AC bracket are easier, or at least i think easier, if you remove the right front wheel and then remove a small access panel in the fender liner. Then you can get to them with a straight shot. You do not need to disconnect refrigerant lines on the compressor.

Happy Saturday!

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Keeps Falling OFF!