Sponsored by:

Chevy Small Block Serpentine Accessory drive with A/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:49 AM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chevy Small Block Serpentine Accessory drive with A/C

I have been looking at serpentine accessory drive belt systems. Some are IMO too flashy and or too expensive. The GM setup I like and I notice it tucks the alternator into the front more, the power steering pump is about where it is already at, and the AC compressor is like the Alternator pushed forward and tucked in tighter to the block.

Anyone running this? Any problems with the way it fits in the C3 engine bay?

My goal is to have a reliable, strong running Vette that I am not in the least bit afraid to jump in and take a 2000 mile round trip in. The serpentine belt seems to be a better and more reliable option.

Example: http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12497698.html
Old 10-22-2017, 12:09 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

looks great, but I woulsd not be afraid to take original belts driven car on a 2000 mile trip as it is. are you having problems with the existing system?? maybe something is not alinged correctly?
Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 PM
sosugrad
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Use one from a late 80s early 90s Camaro/firebird, I think mine is from a 1990 Camaro, got it on ebay for around 100$. The ones from the trucks sit to high. I now have the A/C compressor on, everything works great, very easy to do.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
LuckySeventySeven (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 12:12 PM
sosugrad
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

takes a reverse rotation water pump
Old 10-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Johnnypegs
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckySeventySeven
I have been looking at serpentine accessory drive belt systems. Some are IMO too flashy and or too expensive. The GM setup I like and I notice it tucks the alternator into the front more, the power steering pump is about where it is already at, and the AC compressor is like the Alternator pushed forward and tucked in tighter to the block.

Anyone running this? Any problems with the way it fits in the C3 engine bay?

My goal is to have a reliable, strong running Vette that I am not in the least bit afraid to jump in and take a 2000 mile round trip in. The serpentine belt seems to be a better and more reliable option.

Example: http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12497698.html
I bought that exact kit and I am currently restoring the engine bay. The bolts do line up and fit on the engine block. I think the only issue you might have is the fan shroud if you don’t have electric fans. I haven’t put the motor back in the car yet because the parts are getting powder coated. Everywhere I read on the forum said that the kit works great that’s why I went with it. The only thing I didn’t check was the fitment of the stock radiator hoses. If you’re interested I have a used set of that whole kit. Every nut and bolt and accessories that came off a camaro. Just needs some cleaning up. PM me if interested.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

new gm stuff oughta last pretty well, imo its worth it long term..alt should be better or have room for a high output if you want.
Ill take a true serpentine with a tensioner any day over the old Vbelts. Doesnt look as pretty but wont toss a belt suddenly either
Old 10-22-2017, 01:22 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Originally Posted by sosugrad
takes a reverse rotation water pump
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2017, 01:25 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Originally Posted by sosugrad
Use one from a late 80s early 90s Camaro/firebird, I think mine is from a 1990 Camaro, got it on ebay for around 100$. The ones from the trucks sit to high. I now have the A/C compressor on, everything works great, very easy to do.
Good to know. And I see you are running an electric fan also? I believe I will also go that route.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:29 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
looks great, but I woulsd not be afraid to take original belts driven car on a 2000 mile trip as it is. are you having problems with the existing system?? maybe something is not alinged correctly?
It's a nice Vette for the money. But the previous work on it was pretty shoddy. Yes the alignment is a little off, washers, different bolts, spacers all over the place. Rather than tweek it endlessly, Id rather bite the bullet and just replace with the serpentine setup. I am fixing the AC now (in no hurry) and was surprised to find out how difficult it was to move all the stuff out of the way and get to the blower motor. That sort of stuff I do not want to do twice. So a lot of stuff is getting replaced.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:32 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnnypegs
I bought that exact kit and I am currently restoring the engine bay. The bolts do line up and fit on the engine block. I think the only issue you might have is the fan shroud if you don’t have electric fans. I haven’t put the motor back in the car yet because the parts are getting powder coated. Everywhere I read on the forum said that the kit works great that’s why I went with it. The only thing I didn’t check was the fitment of the stock radiator hoses. If you’re interested I have a used set of that whole kit. Every nut and bolt and accessories that came off a camaro. Just needs some cleaning up. PM me if interested.
Nice! I bet your new setup with everything powder coated will look really nice. I may be interested. Looking at the total cost of replacing the components and some of the turn-key packages that come with new components.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:37 PM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I used complete setup off an 87 corvette. Deleted the smog pump. Fits perfectly, using electric fan(s).
It was only 100 to 125 shipped off ebay.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:45 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

know of guy that parts out c4s if you want his info pm me
Old 10-22-2017, 03:37 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
know of guy that parts out c4s if you want his info pm me
88-91 vette is the system you want/need....uses later compressor and so to get belts made....180 bux here in FLORIDA some time ago....

you really do not want an R4 comp, and the old A6 is just flat out a boat anchor meant for 18 wheelers these daze....

Old 10-22-2017, 05:48 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrvette
88-91 vette is the system you want/need....uses later compressor and so to get belts made....180 bux here in FLORIDA some time ago....

you really do not want an R4 comp, and the old A6 is just flat out a boat anchor meant for 18 wheelers these daze....

This is the kind of info I am interested in. As I understand it, I'd be better off using the older refrigerant. It just makes sense to me since the new stuff requires higher pressure for less temperature drop. I inspect homes as a side job and have seen timer and time again older systems out performing the new ones in temperature drop register to return.

So I need to lookup the AC compressor used in the late 80s then. Just going by the looks of it my current compressor is an R4 style.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Vette vs Stang
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Truck Serpentine

I'm currently running the truck setup on my 78. I liked that it kept all accessories in the correct places. Got the entire setup for $75 including pulleys. For the water pump and tensioner, you can ask for 95 suburban parts. For the fan, I went with a 93 Mustang V8. It's clutched and plastic with lots of blades. A lot quieter than stock steel. Fan shroud can be trimmed so fan can stick out recommended inch or so. I kept the R4 compressor. There's a company that makes Sanden adaptor brackets that I'll be upgrading to eventually. I got a random rad hose though. Not sure what it's off of, but I went to the back and got a long curved one to go around alternator since tensioner blocks center. I do not know if pre 74 hoods will accept the height of this setup though. Keep that in mind. I used to run a $40 electric fan on my 100 eBay aluminum rad lol. Never had any issues, but I'm paranoid and feared I was pushing my luck so I went mechanical. Not sure if I covered anything but I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment.

Last edited by Vette vs Stang; 10-22-2017 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Wrong Year Mustang
Old 10-22-2017, 11:06 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vette vs Stang
I'm currently running the truck setup on my 78. I liked that it kept all accessories in the correct places. Got the entire setup for $75 including pulleys. For the water pump and tensioner, you can ask for 95 suburban parts. For the fan, I went with a 93 Mustang V8. It's clutched and plastic with lots of blades. A lot quieter than stock steel. Fan shroud can be trimmed so fan can stick out recommended inch or so. I kept the R4 compressor. There's a company that makes Sanden adaptor brackets that I'll be upgrading to eventually. I got a random rad hose though. Not sure what it's off of, but I went to the back and got a long curved one to go around alternator since tensioner blocks center. I do not know if pre 74 hoods will accept the height of this setup though. Keep that in mind. I used to run a $40 electric fan on my 100 eBay aluminum rad lol. Never had any issues, but I'm paranoid and feared I was pushing my luck so I went mechanical. Not sure if I covered anything but I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment.
Sound logic if you ask me. I did notice the alternator is moved slightly forward and in which puts it near where my current radiator hose is routed. I briefly considered an LS upgrade, but I looked at several out there and re-routing those hoses on most of them looked questionable to me. Picturing a hose rubbing against metal and after a few thousand miles we get a leak. I'm feeling pretty comfortable about the serpentine setup. A lot of C3 guys are apparently doing it and happy with the results.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:14 PM
Vette vs Stang
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The other advantage is it also allowed me to run a larger cs144?? Alternator. Way more amps at idle.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy Small Block Serpentine Accessory drive with A/C

Old 10-23-2017, 08:14 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I really like the idea of the OEM style serpentine set up too... maybe one of these days.

mardyn
Old 10-24-2017, 01:00 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I like the GM serpentine set up. You’ll need to fabricate a new fuel line. My upper radiator hose was from a Bronco and was cut to fit.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76

I just changed the belts in my 71 as they were old and squeaqed a bit but otherwise if everything is aligned then no problems at all!
And very easy to maintain/adjust/change!

Quick Reply: Chevy Small Block Serpentine Accessory drive with A/C