C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Sidepipe covers fit great! Except that one part...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 12:58 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Sidepipe covers fit great! Except that one part...

I installed the drivers side cover and trim and it fits perfectly.

Oddly, the front bracket seems pretty far off the mounting spot.

Is this typical, atypical, WTF or make a new bracket?

I've included a pic of the rear placement. Vertically it fits right in there. Perfect. Horizontally it is flush with the rear.

I did have to remove some material (make notches) for the u-nuts. There was some rouge bondo under there interfering with some of the clips. Dremel tool to the rescue.

NowhereMan said this was easy.
Attached Images    
Old 10-22-2017, 01:16 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Ah ha ha ha I had the bracket backwards. It fits but needs a different mounting hole.

I swear, this car brings out the senility in me.

No doubt you have to notch the 'glass on non factory side exhaust cars. At least using the repro clips. Longer clips would be stronger.

I can also see how some people could have skipped the retainer strip. GM did a good job here. It spreads the contact weight more than just retaining. But the pipes would go on without it.

I'm getting head rushes from bending over. Passenger side later today.

Got a couple of muffler men (is that the correct term? Usage: "Meet Matt, my personal muffler man." ) who can do the hookup.

These side pipes are like some kind of Right of passage. Totally worth it.

Edit. Started work on the other side. Marketed the holes. Guess what? Bondo globs under every hole. This body had sidepipes at some point.

Although I seem to remember bending back the birdcage tabs. Maybe not. Perhaps they were bent already. That was 12 years ago.

I'll have to get in there with the dremel and make a nice gap for the clips.

Talking to myself here but somebody might get some value.

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 10-22-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

My question is how in the hell did you get all the photos to upload upside down???
Old 10-23-2017, 08:45 AM
gcb1966
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

LOL! I was thinking the same thing
Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

They didn't load upside down. He said the job was so easy he could do it standing on his head.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:09 AM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Right side up for me! No wonder this job is so confusing.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:45 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

The brackets are side specific. It appears you have installed the RH bracket on the LH side.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000370a
Attached Images   

Last edited by leif.anderson93; 10-23-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:23 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
The brackets are side specific. It appears you have installed the RH bracket on the LH side.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000370a
Super appreciate the pics. Nice car!

Yep! I notice you don't have the triangular guards in your fender wells. I'm going to skip them. I'm also going to let that bracket float until the exhaust is welded in case it needs tweaking. But I am impressed with the fit of the covers.

My abdomen is still healing from surgery so I'm taking it slow. Hope to have the passenger side done by end of week, then get to the muffler man.

Last edited by TJefferson2020; 10-23-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:48 PM
dnone
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorkie
Ah ha ha ha I had the bracket backwards. It fits but needs a different mounting hole.

I swear, this car brings out the senility in me.

No doubt you have to notch the 'glass on non factory side exhaust cars. At least using the repro clips. Longer clips would be stronger.

I can also see how some people could have skipped the retainer strip. GM did a good job here. It spreads the contact weight more than just retaining. But the pipes would go on without it.

I'm getting head rushes from bending over. Passenger side later today.

Got a couple of muffler men (is that the correct term? Usage: "Meet Matt, my personal muffler man." ) who can do the hookup.

These side pipes are like some kind of Right of passage. Totally worth it.

Edit. Started work on the other side. Marketed the holes. Guess what? Bondo globs under every hole. This body had sidepipes at some point.

Although I seem to remember bending back the birdcage tabs. Maybe not. Perhaps they were bent already. That was 12 years ago.

I'll have to get in there with the dremel and make a nice gap for the clips.

Talking to myself here but somebody might get some value.
It has been my understanding that you should install the pipes before the covers. Am I wrong on this?
Old 04-18-2020, 04:06 PM
C2Scho
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 496 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by dnone
It has been my understanding that you should install the pipes before the covers. Am I wrong on this?

It doesn't really make any difference. I have had my pipes installed and fixed into position and then removed just the covers (I had to re-glue the inside fiberglass insulators) and I have also done it the other way. I put a new engine in my car last Fall and completely removed the side exhaust pipes from under the car and left the side exhaust covers in place. They are mutually exclusive of each other. I will say though that it helps a lot of you are doing either the removal or the installation job on a 4 post or a 2 post lift. C.J.

Last edited by C2Scho; 04-18-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Improved Spacing
Old 04-18-2020, 07:38 PM
dnone
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Scho
It doesn't really make any difference. I have had my pipes installed and fixed into position and then removed just the covers (I had to re-glue the inside fiberglass insulators) and I have also done it the other way. I put a new engine in my car last Fall and completely removed the side exhaust pipes from under the car and left the side exhaust covers in place. They are mutually exclusive of each other. I will say though that it helps a lot of you are doing either the removal or the installation job on a 4 post or a 2 post lift. C.J.
Can I install the side pipes and wait to install the covers. I have the pipes but not the covers. I will be ordering the covers next month but afraid there might be complications if I don't do both at the same time. Opinions?
Old 04-19-2020, 09:38 AM
C2Scho
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 496 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Side Exhaust for the very first time.

Can I install the side pipes and wait to install the covers. I have the pipes but not the covers. I will be ordering the covers next month but afraid there might be complications if I don't do both at the same time. Opinions?
You do not say what year C2 (or engine) you are talking about which is always very helpful to the responders in any thread or posting. Also it would likely have been better for you to have posted your own separate thread on this subject as this thread was originated by Snorkie and is about Snorkie and his issues. This is what our Moderators refer to as "hijacking a thread" and they are none too keen on it. That said . . .

Back to the subject at hand. . . Yes you can. If your car was not originally a side exhaust car or a PO of your car did not install side exhaust at some time in the past and then take it all back off again it will certainly make a difference in your prep work. If that's the case then you will have extra items along the underside of the body/frame to either cut off or bend back where the side exhaust makes it's bend and then straightens back out for the long run underneath the edge of the door. Someone who has actually installed side exhaust for the car's very first time will have to comment on exactly what has to be either "bent back" or "cut off".

From a purely mechanical standpoint you can certainly install the pipes now and wait until next month to install the covers. Not an issue at all except for the funky raw exposed look of it. Good Luck with it. C.J.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:41 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

You are addressing a post from 3 years ago. Try asking your questions in a new thread.
The following users liked this post:
C2Scho (04-19-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Sidepipe covers fit great! Except that one part...

Quick Reply: [C2] Sidepipe covers fit great! Except that one part...