C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pretty sure I just blew my rear end. Upgrade to 3.55?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 01:45 PM
WhiteVette09
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pretty sure I just blew my rear end. Upgrade to 3.55?

Hey guys,

i just got got my new top end in. 350 miles into the 500 break in period and this happens... I was going 70ish on the highway with the wife in the car and I heard something snap. It didn't lock up, but when I pulled over and lifted the back end I couldn't spin either rear tire. If I was alone I probably would have tried driving it home because it seems "okay" when I'm accelerating but I can really feel it when decellerating...

so I guess my 2 questions are (1) does this sounds like differential needs to be replaced?
And 2) what should I upgrade while I have to get this fixed?

thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-22-2017, 02:03 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteVette09
Hey guys,

i just got got my new top end in. 350 miles into the 500 break in period and this happens... I was going 70ish on the highway with the wife in the car and I heard something snap. It didn't lock up, but when I pulled over and lifted the back end I couldn't spin either rear tire. If I was alone I probably would have tried driving it home because it seems "okay" when I'm accelerating but I can really feel it when decellerating...

so I guess my 2 questions are (1) does this sounds like differential needs to be replaced?

thanks in advance guys!

It would really help us to know which year and whether it has a 4-speed manual or a 3-speed automatic.

Last edited by 71VetteLover; 10-22-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:07 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Sounds like rebuild time. After you pull the cover you will know more.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:26 PM
WhiteVette09
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 74 L82. 4 speed
Old 10-22-2017, 02:31 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

It's a 74 L82. 4 speed

Okay, it is likely a differential cross shaft that has come undone and is hitting the inside of the case. Suck the oil out and if you see a lot of metallic sheen in the oil (some is normal) something inside has come apart.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:19 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
something inside has come apart.
Whether is is an automatic or 4 speed, its really not relevant. What noise do you hear when you backed off the throttle?
Old 10-22-2017, 05:13 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Could be one of six U Joints. Put the rear up on jackstands, pop the tranny in neutral, grab the driveshaft, start turning.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:58 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Before jumping to conclusions, do as mentioned and get it in the air. It is possible a RG bolt backed out and was sheared off. It would possibly have locked up but it would be noisy. If you broke the posi it wouldn't go anywhere. There should be no play in the pinion yoke, axles will have some play - how much depends on several factors, a stock posi spring setup typically has enough load by the springs the wheels will rotate but not against each other unless you break about 40ft/lb of load. If you narrow it down to the diff, pull it and mount it on an engine stand if you have one. Pull the cover and see what it looks like. 74 diff's weren't bad, the clutches were not too good and the axle faces soft but the posi case was the better one.

Check the trailing arms for parking shoes binding, I have had some that came in were the springs broke and the shoes wore into drum hats.

Just take your time and isolate each area: arms, shafts, diff, you will find it. It was a nice day here in the NE today, I was out in my 72 all day.

Last edited by GTR1999; 10-22-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:05 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Hey guys,

thanks in advance guys!
If I jack one rear wheel up I cant turn it at all in neutral as well.

Interesting to see where the actual damage is . I have driven my 77 vette home with the diff sounding like its full of loose bolts and cogs ,grinding and thumping its way around every corner like its definitely not going to make it. got home changed the oil and put new additive in and quiet and smooth as silk now . That came on suddenly on the freeway but no bang though.

Get notified of new replies

To Pretty sure I just blew my rear end. Upgrade to 3.55?

Quick Reply: Pretty sure I just blew my rear end. Upgrade to 3.55?