C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Base 17" rear, Drag Slick??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 PM
crazyorigin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C6 Base 17" rear, Drag Slick??

I already have a full set of factory gumby wheels with Drag Radials on them and also picked up a pair of C4 ZR1 front wheels to put some slicks on the rear of my 07 Base C6, hopefully. I am having trouble finding a tire rated at the size I would need to not create issues with the ABS to match with the front stock tire size. I did a search and only came up with radial sizes that will work.

Does anyone know of a true drag slick for a 17x9.5" wheel that will work with the stock size front tire size? hoping someone has done it and I am just overlooking something. Thank you.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

How far at any one time do you intend to drive on the slicks?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:17 AM
crazyorigin
Advanced

I really only intend to take these tires to the drag strip and install them there, and make several runs throughout the day. I will not be driving them on the street for any real distance. I already have the drag radials, so that's why I want some true slicks, non DOT is ok I just want some sticky tires to make some good passes at the drag strip with.

If something taller that will be compatible with the front tires will work I am ok with that, I haven't really tested the ABS issues that may arise I have just read of some issues that people have. Any positive or negative reinforcement here is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It takes at least 10 miles of driving during one ignition cycle before there is any interaction with any of the nannies. Even then, the nannies can be reset by pressing the TC button. Assuming you shut off the car after a few passes and/or turn the TC off at some point, the tire size differential will not activate any nannies.
However, even though I don't have first-hand knowledge, the general consensus is that running bias ply on the rear and radial ply on the front causes high speed instability. I run the opposite (radial rears and bias fronts) and are very stable in the high 120's. My fronts are larger than the rears too.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:53 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by crazyorigin
I really only intend to take these tires to the drag strip and install them there, and make several runs throughout the day. I will not be driving them on the street for any real distance. I already have the drag radials, so that's why I want some true slicks, non DOT is ok I just want some sticky tires to make some good passes at the drag strip with.

If something taller that will be compatible with the front tires will work I am ok with that, I haven't really tested the ABS issues that may arise I have just read of some issues that people have. Any positive or negative reinforcement here is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Unless you're making a ton of horsepower, a full slick isn't needed and could actually slow you down since they have more rolling resistance than a drag radial and I also believe they're generally taller which can negatively affect your overall gear ratio.

I almost went the route of doing a 15" spindle conversion and running a full slick until I realized that I'm running as good (and sometimes quicker) 60ft times than some big tire cars - 315/35/17 Hoosier drag radial , best ever 60ft was 1.340.

Depending on your power level, I'd recommend either a 275/40/17 Hoosier or 315/35/17 which still fits properly (and works well) on a 9.5" rim.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:22 PM
crazyorigin
Advanced

motor is close to stock for now just some bolt ons, so maybe I will just look into a different and better drag radial than the Nitto's I have on these spare wheels. thanks for the input.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Base 17" rear, Drag Slick??

Quick Reply: C6 Base 17" rear, Drag Slick??