Sponsored by:

Not impressed w/ Duplicolor on T-top skins

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:05 AM
lakerider57
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Not impressed w/ Duplicolor on T-top skins

This past weekend I decided to spray the T-top skins. I wanted to change the interior color from oyster to black.

Here is one of the originals. I first clean the oils off the skins using acetone and when they dried, I then used TSP and scrubbed them well.

I had purchased the Duplicolor flat black and the corresponding adhesion promoter:

In following the directions, I sprayed light coats, letting them dry at least 20 minutes between coats. The problem was that after each coat the skin looked streaked, it didn't matter how much overlap I did, because I tried all kinds of stuff, they turned out horrible. This is after 5-6 coats and 1.5 cans of Duplicolor paint on the two skins:

So finally I gave up on the Duplicolor, I think it was made for preserving the delicate pattern of what you are spraying because it came our extremely thin.

So I switched to Rust-oleum Ultra Cover which bonds to plastic also:

I sprayed one coat of flat black and it turned out exactly how I wanted it, streak free and rich dark black. This pic was taken outside in the shade:

The coverage of the rust-oleum was amazing and unless someone tells me otherwise, my interior is going to get cleaned, adhesion promoter, and the Rust-oleum flat black.

Richard
Old 10-23-2017, 02:28 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Go to Corvette America and buy their Interior Dye. I prefer the Qt's and use my spray guy to shoot it.
The following users liked this post:
lakerider57 (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

I've used Rustoleum products on my cars also. I think their products are better overall than Duplicolor.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:12 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

The Rustoleum looks like it gave a good finish.

Sounds like the Duplicolor was not giving a good enough fan to the spray.

I also just spray it with a gun.

Hard to fault the look of your finished product.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:49 PM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

SEM satin black looks great on vinyl parts and covers very well with their rattle cans. Its much more expensive but I think worth it. For any other colors I recommend the matched dye from Corvette vendors.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:43 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

OP, the streaking ocured because Duplicolor for plastics requires a primer base coat.
Haters, I have a lot of experience dying interiors. I know how to get great results from all the National brands. Some need adhesion promoters while others have the qualities added into their mixes. Some dry in mid air spray and others react to high humidity. It’s always something and you get a different story from the various company tech support people then you do from their label instructions.
lakerider57 (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 AM
lakerider57
Racer

Originally Posted by CraigH
The Rustoleum looks like it gave a good finish.

Sounds like the Duplicolor was not giving a good enough fan to the spray.

I also just spray it with a gun.

Hard to fault the look of your finished product.

The duplicolor actually has a nicer wide fan spray than the rustoleum and when I did a coat, it looked like it covered really nice, until it dried...

It must be a really thin paint to take 6 coats and still look crappy.

Richard
Old 10-24-2017, 12:22 PM
lakerider57
Racer

Originally Posted by Cool95vette
I've used Rustoleum products on my cars also. I think their products are better overall than Duplicolor.
Cool95vette,

Can you share any more info on you using Rustoleum products ? I.e. did you clearcoat over the paint with a Rustoleum clear ? How does it hold up in the sun ? Has any of it peeled ? What surfaces did you not put in on ?

thanks,
Richard
Old 10-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you buy the Duplicolor at Walmarts? We're pretty much forced to go to Walmarts for most things around here, ALL of the smaller outlets are gone since they moved in on us, and their Duplicolor and Krylon never seem to be right. Mostly lacking in pigment and often running out of propellant before the can is empty.

Just asking because I've been having the same problems, especially with the flat and satin/semi-gloss blacks.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:47 PM
lakerider57
Racer

Originally Posted by Team Evil
Did you buy the Duplicolor at Walmarts? We're pretty much forced to go to Walmarts for most things around here, ALL of the smaller outlets are gone since they moved in on us, and their Duplicolor and Krylon never seem to be right. Mostly lacking in pigment and often running out of propellant before the can is empty.

Just asking because I've been having the same problems, especially with the flat and satin/semi-gloss blacks.
No, I bought the Duplicolor online from:

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/duplicol...11-oz-aerosol/

I did buy the Rustoleum from my local Walmart.

Richard
Old 10-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Team Evil

Have you noticed that Duplicolor and Krylon have a slightly different label at Walmart than what is available through the smaller stores? For the same paint Walmart has a different UPC bar code? I have some guesses but nothing for sure . . . . .yet.
Many of the spray can manufactures have reduced propellant by 20% since Apri 2015. The reason: People have ignored the Federal laws regarding shipping by air. Cans have been packed with other items to avoid splitting shipping. There has been reports of cans exploding at high altitudes, reducing propellants by 20% assures most can won’t expand beyond their limits.
Eastwood had their cans designed to slowly release pressure to avoid exploding when subjected to high pressure. The problem is all their standard spray cans leak propellant under average storage conditions. People began to complain that a good 1/3 of the paint stays in their cans, Eastwood no longer replaces the defective cans.
stopped replacing cans
Old 10-24-2017, 03:37 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If Eastwood has stopped replacing their knowingly defective cans everyone should stop shopping the knowingly defective Eastwood Company and let them know why. Seems like SO many suppliers are using their customers as beta-testers these days rather than paying researchers and testers to find the faults in their products. Moss Motors is a consistently guilty of this.

It's so damned frustrating. You buy a specific product expecting it to BE that produce and end up with something faulty at it core, something designed to actually not to function correctly (A can of spray ought to spay and paint, nothing more, certainly nothing less !) something possibly specifically manufactured (for Walmart) to be an inferior version of the original product but brought in at an agreed upon price break, and leave it up to the consumer to deal with it.

Just SO frustrating ! ! !

Last edited by Team Evil; 10-24-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:17 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Go to Corvette America and buy their Interior Dye. I prefer the Qt's and use my spray guy to shoot it.
Agreed. It works great. You can tell that it is different by the smell and the way it lays down. It's not paint but dye. Putting it over paint may not go too good at this point though.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:22 PM
lakerider57
Racer

Originally Posted by theandies
Agreed. It works great. You can tell that it is different by the smell and the way it lays down. It's not paint but dye. Putting it over paint may not go too good at this point though.

So which one holds up better over time, dye or paint, i.e. which one should I put on my dash, or will both work fine.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

I stocked up on many different types of Eastwood specialty paints by several dozen when they would have their BOGO sales. No where on the can’s label, on the Eastwood website or anywhere on the web does it mention their sprays have a shelf life. “Use before cans can no longer empty their contents due to a weak propellant charge.”

Rich
Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 PM
2airtime2
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think Rustoleum sometimes gets a bad rap. They make some very good products. I rolled and tipped my boat with Rustoleum Marine Coatings out of a quart can 5 yrs ago. It turned out great and is still very shiny even though it is stored outside at the coast and only sees saltwater use.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

I stocked up on many different types of Eastwood specialty paints by several dozen when they would have their BOGO sales. No where on the can’s label, on the Eastwood website or anywhere on the web does it mention their sprays have a shelf life. “Use before cans can no longer empty their contents due to a weak propellant charge.”

I haven’t bought anything from Eastwood in over 2 years. It’s virtually impossible to get a letter to the President of the company. There is a secretary or assistant that runs interference and she has an attitude regarding my boycott. They bury the bad reviews I gave them about the cans, bogus advertising and some contaminated solder flux that looked like a return they resold to me.

Rich
Old 10-24-2017, 07:41 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by lakerider57
Cool95vette,

Can you share any more info on you using Rustoleum products ? I.e. did you clearcoat over the paint with a Rustoleum clear ? How does it hold up in the sun ? Has any of it peeled ? What surfaces did you not put in on ?

thanks,
Richard
I've painted a dash, plastic and metal interior trim pieces, and even the carpet in one car. I didn't put clear over them. It's holding up fine with no peeling. I wasn't going for a show car finish. Just a nice driver quality result. Be sure to clean the parts real good before you spray them.
lakerider57 (10-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Not impressed w/ Duplicolor on T-top skins

Quick Reply: Not impressed w/ Duplicolor on T-top skins