C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old cams new lifters?

Old 10-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Vaipulu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old cams new lifters?

I plan on a new crate December. I've been loading the old l82 with the bolt on goodies that would transfer over to the new crate.

Thing is, I'm getting some serious valvetrain noise, of which I suspect is a lifter. I daily drive this car, so it needs to last untill December. I've always changed cams and lifters together. So, old cam new lifters? Should I change all the lifters or just the one? The springs and rockers seem cheap too. Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to just drive it to failure.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:06 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I hate to assume because it always makes a, well you know. I assume the valvelash is set spot on? You can swap all 16 lifters or just one trouble maker. Summit sells singles but if you have it all torn apart anyway . . . . . . .

You can put:
new lifters on new cam
new lifters on old cam
old lifters on old cam (same lobe)
But NEVER old lifters on new cam.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-23-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Vaipulu
Advanced

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
I hate to assume because it always makes a, well you know. I assume the valvelash is set spot on? You can swap all 16 lifters or just one trouble maker. Summit sells singles but if you have it all torn apart anyway . . . . . . .

You can put:
new lifters on new cam
new lifters on old cam
old lifters on old cam (same lobe)
But NEVER old lifters on new cam.

Good call, I did make the adjustments a few days go and it quieted down. Unfortunately, a little while later, it started acting up again.

Im with you on "while you're there". I just want to make sure the new lifters, springs and pushrods won't have a negitive effect on my cam.

I really appreciate your input and quick reply.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:23 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaipulu
I plan on a new crate December. I've been loading the old l82 with the bolt on goodies that would transfer over to the new crate.

Thing is, I'm getting some serious valvetrain noise, of which I suspect is a lifter. I daily drive this car, so it needs to last untill December. I've always changed cams and lifters together. So, old cam new lifters? Should I change all the lifters or just the one? The springs and rockers seem cheap too. Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to just drive it to failure.

It's always very risky to put new lifters on old cam lobes. If the cam has very few miles on it you can probably get away with it but if it has 100,000 miles and your old lifters have ANY cupping on their bottoms you will wipe the cam out.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

For what this is worth.

I repair Corvettes for people so I have to make sure the money they spend is going to make a difference.

Knowing that you are getting a new engine in about 60 days...I honestly fell that I would have to take a little bit closer look the actual lifter that is causing the problem.

Not saying that I try to NOT do it right...but seeing how I do not work for free...I make sure my time is spent well. I have encountered many nuts for the rocker arms that were worn out and need to be replaced so they hold their adjustment. In some scenarios I use the poly lock design.

The I would also have to confirm that IF the cylinder head design is a press in stud design that holds the rocker arm on is not pulling itself out.....which I have seen.

DUB
Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
It's always very risky to put new lifters on old cam lobes. If the cam has very few miles on it you can probably get away with it but if it has 100,000 miles and your old lifters have ANY cupping on their bottoms you will wipe the cam out.
I also agree with this.

I know you are wanting it to last a short time...but...a cam lobe can get wiped out rather quickly if things are not right.

DUB
Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I also agree with this.

I know you are wanting it to last a short time...but...a cam lobe can get wiped out rather quickly if things are not right.

DUB
OP said new lifters. One or sixteen.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
OP said new lifters. One or sixteen.
Gotcha....I read that incorrectly.

I read it as that was what he was planning on buying and installing...rather then what he had already had installed.

DUB
Old 10-23-2017, 10:41 PM
Vaipulu
Advanced

DUB,

That is outstanding advice. I'll dykem mark the nut and stud after the adjustment and check for movement. I hadn't even thought of a breakdown of the fasteners. I appreciate your input, your experience on the matter shows.

I take its a better call to replace the singular lifter should it be the issue?

I know the new crate will be here soon, however, OCD refuses to let my current engine go unmaintained.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:05 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Throw straight 50 weight in and warm it up good and drive it easy till December! But do make sure your up studs and lifters ain't your noise source! But a big rubber hose on your ear and listen around on the engine just for something to do while you are waiting!

Ps I won't put any new parts on that thing, if the noise is as bad as you say!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 10-24-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

This lifter that is making noise...I guess it is a new lifter that you had previously installed??? If so... where they from Comp Cams???

It is hard for me to advise you any further.... due to you are going to take whatever measures to repair this regardless on how soon a new engine is going to be installed.

I could not nor would not service the noisy lifter if I know I am putting a new engine in the car in a month or so. I could live with it. Thicker oil or whatever to get it by without having to tear into it. Even if I had to put some ATF in the oil....or some of this. http://www.engine-performance-online...-engine-flush/ Because I would be doing this on my engine that had old lifters in it and not freshly instilled lifters.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 10-24-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

In years past I have changed individual lifters. Once in 1979 and another time in 1989. I treated the same as a cam swap and broke them in. Never had an issue so maybe I got lucky.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 10-24-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Old cams new lifters?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old cams new lifters?