Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Pissed-need to vent

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:02 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Pissed-need to vent

I made a thread a couple weeks ago about picking up a '08 zo6 from carmax a couple of weeks ago. To sum things up its been hic cup after hic cup and I know its not carmax's fault as blame should be placed on my particular sales lady and people Ive been dealing with directly.
Anyways the car had been bumped in the parking lot so a headlight needed to be adjusted and the night I got the car home I noticed there was a hole in the driver's side rocker. Carmax said they'd take care of everything.
Fast forward a week to today- I just went to pick the car up and both issues were fixed but for some reason the fender had been painted and the color was way off(car is velocity yellow). Now something like this I definitely would have noticed the day I got the car so it had to have been painted within the past week. The advisor looked up the history and said it had been painted in July for some reason and had me talk to a guy from the body shop who will be doing the work. He said they would take care of everything no problem and even offered to fill the front holes where the dealer had drilled for a plate. This has been a terrible experience and now I just drove 50 miles for nothing. Also saw the guy drive my car away to his body shop(about 10 miles) and he was talking on a cell which doesnt add to my comfort as Im already paranoid about someone else driving my car. I did take a picture of the odometer when I dropped her off so I will say something if an unreasonable amount has been added.

Last edited by armybyrd; 10-23-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:25 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I would just stay on that body shop...ask for updates, etc. No shame in letting them know you're particular about your cars.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 10-23-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:34 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Heads up, the fenders are carbon fiber; I don't think they are as easily fixed as a regular body panel. And CarMax needs to stop drilling holes in front bumpers on Corvettes for license plates, they are notorious for this from what I have seen.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:44 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Heads up, the fenders are carbon fiber; I don't think they are as easily fixed as a regular body panel. And CarMax needs to stop drilling holes in front bumpers on Corvettes for license plates, they are notorious for this from what I have seen.

I feel like the body shop guy was trying to take me for a sucker. The fender shouldnt have been painted in the first place unless the body shop had somehow damaged it and tried to cover their tracks. They must have thought I was color blind to accept it-might as well have been a completely different color from the bumper and Im 110% sure I wouldve noticed when I first picked the car up.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:52 PM
rockinSeat
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm not a body guy, but I believe if a fender is painted, it will have to be blended with the hood and door... otherwise there's no way it can be matched without easily noticing it.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:09 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rockinSeat
I'm not a body guy, but I believe if a fender is painted, it will have to be blended with the hood and door... otherwise there's no way it can be matched without easily noticing it.
Correct in most cases...
Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Correct in most cases...

Understandable but I think you guys missed the point of the fender shouldnt have needed to be painted in the first place. Guess all I can do is see how this plays out. This is the last chance before I undo the whole deal though.

Last edited by armybyrd; 10-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by armybyrd
Understandable but I think you guys missed the point of the fender shouldnt have needed to be painted in the first place. Guess all I can do is see how this plays out. This is the last chance before I undo the whole deal though.
No...I got that. I was just agreeing with the other poster on how this will need to be remedied now.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Might be best to blow it off and find a nicer one. It'd probably frost your ***** every time you look at the car...
There are a still a boatload of clean low mile ones floating around.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Might be best to blow it off and find a nicer one. It'd probably frost your ***** every time you look at the car...
There are a still a boatload of clean low mile ones floating around.
The idea has definitely crossed my mind several times the past couple weeks. Ive been keeping my eyes open and have found another velocity yellow low miler not too far in PA. I get that the bodyshop guy said it wouldnt be a problem getting the paint to match, but the thought of a low mile Z thats been "tampered" with just doesnt sit right with me. I did get a carfax when i got the car and there arent any accidents but obviously something happened for them to paint the fender than just a parking lot bump.

Last edited by armybyrd; 10-23-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:46 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Dude, run away... fast! there are others out there
Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Drew03tx
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like they are fixing everything for you without putting up much fight, I say give them a shot to make it right. Just seems worse than it is because you want the car you bought and it’s not 100% yet.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 AM
jammeejamm
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

there are three different materials on the front of these cars. paint the hood(sheet molded composite), fenders(carbon fiber) and bumper(plastic) at the same time in the same booth, and there might still be a color variance you can actually see.

i have not come across a yellow one that matches exactly. even base models.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:13 PM
ratomicZ06
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by iw172
Dude, run away... fast! there are others out there
id be gone waaaaayyyy before now. Too many mishaps, unless you got a killer deal or arent picky, but sounds as though you are and this would eat into my sleep. Imo. Good luck, sounds like youll need it.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:20 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by jammeejamm
there are three different materials on the front of these cars. paint the hood(sheet molded composite), fenders(carbon fiber) and bumper(plastic) at the same time in the same booth, and there might still be a color variance you can actually see.

i have not come across a yellow one that matches exactly. even base models.
Do you mean you havent seen a stock/no damage car that still didnt match exactly or one that was wrecked and needed paint blending that actually matched?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

Dude back out screw that I hate that I bought my car with issues. I’ve spent a bunch of money fixing it and I could have bought a clean low mileage car for same price. Find one with perfect rockers and no paint repair. It could be a headache down the road!!!
The following users liked this post:
armybyrd (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 03:40 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

That car is cursed... I remember your previous thread and plenty of guys trying to tell you to run THEN... These are not a Toyota Prius... "little things" on these cars mean "A lot"...
If you can, you should demand your money back and that they deal with your sales "woman"... Tell them you "feel" as though you have been taken for a ride. As this is what you are conveying to us on this forum.... Just my .02
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Appreciate all the input guys. Its a shame for a fairly low mile car(13,500) to have had paint blended all the way around and who knows what the cars actually been through. The advisor called me today to say it would be ready thursday and I asked for details about why the fender was painted and she tried to say it was like that when i dropped it off. Im a huge car guy and wouldve noticed the fender being a completely diff shade from the bumper as the first thing I noticed was the headlight being adjusted but she swore otherwise. We'll see what she looks like thursday as I have little doubt something else will be wrong when I get there.

Last edited by armybyrd; 10-24-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pissed-need to vent

Quick Reply: Pissed-need to vent