C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

More HP for my 96

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:20 PM
vetteman1100
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Default More HP for my 96

I would like to get some more horse power from my 96 LT1. I see that Edelbrock has what they call a LT4 up grade kit. New heads, that they say out flow GM's LT4, a new hotter cam and roller rockers. Also thinking of a small procharger. Edelbrock also has a new plenum, but I think the only difference is the color. Will the auto trans hold up to these mods. I read that Chevrolet did not offer the LT4 with an automatiic as they didn't feel that the tranny would stand up to the extra 30 HP. Really? seems like a wimmpy trans to me. This is a street car and maybe an occasional autocross.

Last edited by vetteman1100; 10-23-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I believe the reason the LT4 wasn't offered in a auto was that GM did not want to pay the money to have it certified in that combo for emission, café standards ect for one year, especially with the C5 coming out.

I think you would be better off having your current heads ported and a custom cam put in. Be careful raising the rev limiter on the LT1, I've seen a few have rod bearing issues with the stock rod bolts. If your trans is in good condition I wouldn't worry about adding 30 more hp.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Skidmark1
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

" I think you would be better off having your current heads ported and a custom cam put in ...."
Says the guy with " 397 LT4,Morgantini racing heads,3:73 gears, DRM longtubes, Sepanek 700R4, Yank 3600, bla-bla... "

He either speaks from experience (he wasted a ton of money in his build) or he doesn't want any more competition at the track !

I'm looking at the same set-up as you for my 93....but probably not for a year or so. I'm going to start with a better rear end gear ratio as I think "seat of the pants, bang for the buck" this is going to be a good way to go. As far as the tranny goes, I've heard these 4L60's will blow with a Granny driving her V6 buick to church ....to holding up no problem to around 400 hp. The up-shot is, they are easily rebuildable with heavy duty parts. My Father in-law has a 700R4 (same as 4L60) in his 383 stroker ElCamino and it's putting out around 400-450 and he's not exactly "gentle" on it. However, he also agrees that changing the rear gear was the most noticable difference.

Last edited by Skidmark1; 10-23-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

The 4L60 was used in full size trucks, midsize trucks, and just about everything GM made. It will hold the ~350 crank hp you're talking about no problem.

That said, longtubes, gears, and tune is where I'd start.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:01 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 166 Likes on 147 Posts

Before you commit to your project. Do some research and find out where you can get a new tune for the motor. This will be a critical factor to your build. If you can't get this, your engine build will fail.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:38 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Before you commit to your project. Do some research and find out where you can get a new tune for the motor. This will be a critical factor to your build. If you can't get this, your engine build will fail.
Jet DST is the only choice for software that will recalibrate the PCM on this car.

It's hard to recommend buying heads that only outflow LT4s, when there are AFRs and other heads that seriously outflow stock LT4 heads. That said, I run LT4 heads ported by Greg Good in Houston, and they flow about the same as AFR195 Competition (CNC'd) heads. That's with upgraded valves too, of course. I'm not sure which route is more cost effective - mine were done many years ago (but Good is still porting heads, fwiw).
Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidmark1
" I think you would be better off having your current heads ported and a custom cam put in ...."
Says the guy with " 397 LT4,Morgantini racing heads,3:73 gears, DRM longtubes, Sepanek 700R4, Yank 3600, bla-bla... "

He either speaks from experience (he wasted a ton of money in his build) or he doesn't want any more competition at the track !

I'm looking at the same set-up as you for my 93....but probably not for a year or so. I'm going to start with a better rear end gear ratio as I think "seat of the pants, bang for the buck" this is going to be a good way to go. As far as the tranny goes, I've heard these 4L60's will blow with a Granny driving her V6 buick to church ....to holding up no problem to around 400 hp. The up-shot is, they are easily rebuildable with heavy duty parts. My Father in-law has a 700R4 (same as 4L60) in his 383 stroker ElCamino and it's putting out around 400-450 and he's not exactly "gentle" on it. However, he also agrees that changing the rear gear was the most noticable difference.
Don't know what you mean by "wasted a ton of money"? I run ported LT4 heads. I had a 95LT1 I raced that had ported stock heads as well. I do all my own work so I have way less into my builds, and my buddy who owns Morgantini does all my porting and machining for very fair prices (might cost more to feed him then I spend at the shop!)

If I was still running a LT1, I would have the stock heads done by a good shop. The cost of the Edelbrock LT4 heads and intake would be way more and for only 30hp? Now if were going to port them to you could see bigger gains. I just did a 97 LT1 Firebird with stock bottom, mild cam, ported heads and it drives perfect and went 12.5 in the summer heat. You need to be honest with your goals and budget and go from there!
The following users liked this post:
ElisTwoCents (11-08-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:22 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 port the stock heads mild cam headers tune youll be fine...IF all else is good (guides seats etc that stuff can add up)doing a pkg for a neighbor now doing just that. 96 stick wants a mild mannered driver with good , torque and stock looks. You dont have to go nut$ to get there. Are the afrs better sure but it costs. Id go there before dropping 4-500 for some used LT4 heads which are already what, 195cc then spending? Doesnt make $$ sense then youre stuck with the $$ intake too. Work with what ya got.
Were gonna dyno this one when done should be fun;wont be a dyno killer but good grunt everywhere
Of course its all gotta be polished, too!lol

by the time you get the lt4 to move any impressive amount of air they will be too big for a 350imo.
An AFR will walk all over them and still be 193-195cc..and all new with a lifetime warrantee

Last edited by cv67; 10-24-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Lloyd Elliott...start there for porting
Old 11-04-2017, 04:18 AM
Skidmark1
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichS
Don't know what you mean by "wasted a ton of money"? I run ported LT4 heads. I had a 95LT1 I raced that had ported stock heads as well. I do all my own work so I have way less into my builds, and my buddy who owns Morgantini does all my porting and machining for very fair prices (might cost more to feed him then I spend at the shop!)

If I was still running a LT1, I would have the stock heads done by a good shop. The cost of the Edelbrock LT4 heads and intake would be way more and for only 30hp? Now if were going to port them to you could see bigger gains. I just did a 97 LT1 Firebird with stock bottom, mild cam, ported heads and it drives perfect and went 12.5 in the summer heat. You need to be honest with your goals and budget and go from there!

Sorry if that came off as an insult. It certainly wasn't intended to be. More sarcasm than anything else.
I just thought it was funny and rare that you have a **** ton of expensive mods done to your car and you didn't go all nuts bragging about them. Most guys will do that.....you were being humble and promoting the simpler yet still effective route. I respect that very much !

Thanks for the advice.
Skiddy

Get notified of new replies

To More HP for my 96

Quick Reply: More HP for my 96