C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Outside Ambient Air Temperature Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:48 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Outside Ambient Air Temperature Sensor?

I've done a little searching with no luck and I'm frustrated with my insurance, body shop and Chevrolet stealership who act like they have never worked with or on a Corvette. I had what I thought was a simple right front tire blow out after running over something on interstate 40 here in middle Tennessee. I ended up with a cracked wheel, a busted radiator, a busted ECS intercooler, a bent radiator/intercooler support and a scuffed up bumper cover and something happened to cause the steering angle sensor to go bad and usaa insurance refuses to pay for the sensor and labor...This all happened way back on September 22nd - two months ago and the bumper cover is still off waiting to be painted. Anyway - my outside ambient air temperature sensor that I had to relocate when I installed my awesome ECS supercharger setup came off of its plug and there are three or so plugs on the lower right of the radiator and the stealership has guessed a plug but I would like to be certain of the plug before the bumper cover goes back on in the next two weeks I hope...
Can someone confirm the wire colors to the plug of the outside ambient air temperature sensor on a 1999 model please. I wish my body shop and my Chevrolet dealership service department had just some of the knowledge that's here on "The" Corvette Forums. Every single thing I've needed has been provided on these forums. From stopped up drain ducts that protect the windshield wiper motor and passenger floor to my ECS Paxton forced induction system and most recently searching for a steering angle sensor - my Corvette has had the vast amount of knowledge from here to keep it near perfect. Thanks for the help. It was still in the 90's when my Corvette went to the body shop. It is now winter and the leaves have turned from green to brown to on the ground since I last had my Corvette. This is after spending the entire spring and summer installing the ECS system the right way...I haven't had my Corvette all year. I've been having super black Corvette withdrawals. This sucks and is the price you pay for owning a Corvette in a small town...I'm no Corvette genius myself but I'm not paid to be...lol
Old 11-22-2017, 06:11 PM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Anyone know the colors? The sensor is normally located on the angled vertical plastic shroud between the radiator and air filter box on the very lower right hand side indented and attached with a plastic/nylon push screw. Mine was relocated because the plastic shroud is removed during the ECS supercharger install and there are two or three 2 wire plugs in the lower right area that were disconnected when the body shop removed the front bumper cover to repaint and replace the radiator/intercooler support frame. The sensor is mysteriously missing. My body man was trying to plug plugs into one another. I told him one went to the horn, one goes to the hood light which I do not want plugged in and one probably goes to the fog light but they should have labeled the plugs before disconnecting. Chevy should not have made several plugs in the same area that will interchange. I don't want for the body shop to guess so I came to the smartest Corvette community on earth. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!
-Tony
Old 11-23-2017, 03:02 AM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I assume insurance wouldn't pay up on the steering angle sensor since its impossible to find the part?
Old 11-24-2017, 12:17 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Went out to the garage and checked my '99, and no surprise, it's just like Bill said. Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you can get your car fixed up soon.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2017, 09:25 AM
ArmyVette24
Advanced

Thanks guys. Grey/Black--Light Green/Black....Thanks for the picture confirmation. I'll put my new sensor on as soon as it gets back to the body shop - before the front bumper is put back on. I need to drill a hole to better secure the sensor anyway.
No - my insurance would not pay for the steering angle sensor but I did plead my case. The chance of the sensor going bad just as I ran over something and blew out my right front tire with a hard suspension impact that ripped the steering wheel from my hands is just astronomical in my opinion. My insurance says the C5 Corvette has a very high rate of failure. I don't know that to be true or false but I haven't seen anyone on here have one go bad...I made a single call to Marc at Vettenuts and had the sensor delivered the next day but with my grand luck the post office didn't deliver the part to the one Chevrolet dealership in the small town because one single digit was left off of the street address. It was 2211 and only 221 was put on the package..The post office knew darn well where the package was supposed to go but they returned the package to Vettenuts because I messed up one single digit. That was common sense as to where the package should have been delivered but again, what can I do? It's only been going on 9 weeks since the incident...It has become laughable. I spend all spring and summer installing the ECS supercharger system and I drive it about 5 weeks and run over something for a blow out and it will likely be 10 weeks after the blow out before I get my Corvette back. I put four brand new tires on even though I only needed one. The 3 tires I took off have over 90 percent tread on them - like new...I didn't want a single odd tire on my Corvette so I'll sell the rears or all three at a bargain when the dust settles. I also had a new Tial larger, louder blow off valve put on the new intercooler, a new, low profile double pedestal rear deck spoiler put on and I got rid of all of the HID headlights, fog lights, bulky ballasts and warning canceller and installed all LED lights...If I ever get my Corvette back I'm having a set of mid to high end long tube headers put on in December. I want headers, a dyno tune and the diablo trinity programmer for Christmas this year....
Thanks again for confirming the plug wire colors. I don't know if my sensor was knocked away during the incident or when the body shop removed the front bumper cover to fill in the scuffs and give it a new coat of black paint but at least that sensor was cheap and is ready to be installed on the plug with gray/black--light green/black wires. I really appreciate the help resolving the multiple plugs with two wires. My body man actually plugged two of the plugs into one another. I told him I almost knew that wasn't correct. The only empty plug should be the hood light plug. I don't trust it unless I put my own switch inline to turn it on and off.. Now that I have the gray/black--light green/black plug, the rest should fall into place..Thank you.
-Tony

Get notified of new replies

To 1999 Outside Ambient Air Temperature Sensor?

Quick Reply: 1999 Outside Ambient Air Temperature Sensor?