Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Suggestion Please!

Old 11-21-2017, 02:35 AM
radz0hh6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Suggestion Please!

Fellows! Last night when I started my 2008 Z06, I noticed clicking noise in the engine bay. I open the hood and did not noticed anything unusual but sure the clicking noise is there. I decided to take it to the dealer and after several hours of waiting, here comes the bad news. They said I need a new engine!! btw my car only has 16,300 miles on it so I was in shock. Told them that I will take it to different dealership to ask for second opinion. They then told me to wait and they will contact GM and see if they can atleast help out or something because they quoted me for about 19k for engine and labor. I will find out tomorrow what GM response is. Any suggestions guys? FYI: No engine check light or any indications of any problem...I actually drive it to the dealership and did not loose any power or anything binding.
The more input I can get will give me a better idea on what to do next!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:23 AM
SpnkbnkZ06
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you had the guides checked and or replaced on the heads?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:56 AM
radz0hh6
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpnkbnkZ06
Have you had the guides checked and or replaced on the heads?
Nope everything is still stock.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:21 AM
SpnkbnkZ06
Racer

I would say it was the guides worn over the dealership jumping to a new motor. Having any other issues IE: low oil psi etc
Old 11-21-2017, 06:43 AM
radz0hh6
Instructor

I would say it was the guides worn over the dealership jumping to a new motor. Having any other issues IE: low oil psi etc
Everything seems normal..power seems ok except that clicking noise...and no engine alarm notification
Old 11-21-2017, 06:51 AM
SpnkbnkZ06
Racer

Unfortunately if the guides are worn there will be no warning if a valve drops
Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 AM
radz0hh6
Instructor

Unfortunately if the guides are worn there will be no warning if a valve drops
Btw is there any other dealership you can recommend? Freeway Chevrolet is the one looking at my car right now.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:30 AM
SpnkbnkZ06
Racer

No sorry I'm not much of a dealership kind of guy
Old 11-21-2017, 08:44 AM
JaredW
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have any sort of warranty? If not, I would stop going to dealerships and find a good LS shop near you that can actually diagnose the problem and not just throw a new motor at it.

Last edited by JaredW; 11-21-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:46 AM
SpnkbnkZ06
Racer

Agree with Jared. You're in Chandler give Joe Cordes a call he owns Cordes performance racing in mesa. He will het you squared away. Avoid stealerships at all cost unless warranty
Old 11-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Did they say why you need a new engine?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:18 AM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Hard to believe you would need a new motor if you drove it just fine and no fluids were leaking. Sounds like that dealership is trying to get money out of you and you should take it elsewhere like an actual shop that deals with LS motors. More than likely you will need to get the valve guides replaced or possibly completely new heads which wont be anywhere near $19k. Im with SpnkbnkZ06 I dont deal with stealerships, I did heads and cam myself, but had to take the heads to a local shop to get the valve guides replaced and new valves of course.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

First of all, avoid dealerships unless you are under warranty.

Have it towed to CPR for inspection. Sounds like a lifter/cam going bad, which maybe able to be fixed without a new motor. Still not cheap.

Should have heads inspected and dealt with at same time since most of that has to come off.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:24 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by radz0hh6
Fellows! Last night when I started my 2008 Z06, I noticed clicking noise in the engine bay. I open the hood and did not noticed anything unusual but sure the clicking noise is there. I decided to take it to the dealer and after several hours of waiting, here comes the bad news. They said I need a new engine!! btw my car only has 16,300 miles on it so I was in shock. Told them that I will take it to different dealership to ask for second opinion. They then told me to wait and they will contact GM and see if they can atleast help out or something because they quoted me for about 19k for engine and labor. I will find out tomorrow what GM response is. Any suggestions guys? FYI: No engine check light or any indications of any problem...I actually drive it to the dealership and did not loose any power or anything binding.
Maybe a collapsed lifter, but I would take it to Cordes Performance in Tempe before going to a dealership....even if you have an aftermarket warranty.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

You were there several hours, they say you need a new engine, and they didn't tell you why?!!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Wass
You were there several hours, they say you need a new engine, and they didn't tell you why?!!
"Your engine is making noise. We won't take the time to diagnose it for you, so we recommend you pay us $19,000 to replace the engine."
Old 11-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
First of all, avoid dealerships unless you are under warranty.

Have it towed to CPR for inspection. Sounds like a lifter/cam going bad, which maybe able to be fixed without a new motor. Still not cheap.

Should have heads inspected and dealt with at same time since most of that has to come off.
This would be my first assumption as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestion Please!

Old 11-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Art17
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe a sticking lifter.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 PM
radz0hh6
Instructor

Thanks guys for all the suggestions!!
Here is the update I got this morning.
They contacted GM and they are willing to participate with the repair.
It will cost me 13k out of pocket
GM only requires engine to be take apart to the point of failure and take pictures...also provide the history of repairs/oil changes done with the car prior.
What do you think guys? should I go for it?

Thanks Much!
Old 11-21-2017, 02:05 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Thanks guys for all the suggestions!!
Here is the update I got this morning.
They contacted GM and they are willing to participate with the repair.
It will cost me 13k out of pocket
GM only requires engine to be take apart to the point of failure and take pictures...also provide the history of repairs/oil changes done with the car prior.
What do you think guys? should I go for it?

Thanks Much!
No!! $13K for what?! Precisely what did they say failed in your engine that necessitates a complete replacement?

I was thinking failed lifter as well...but that shouldn't wipe out a complete motor. Get your car out of there and towed to CPR like everyone has recommended.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 11-21-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestion Please!