Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knurled wiper mount bushing

Old 11-21-2017, 04:21 PM
E.Murray
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Knurled wiper mount bushing

My '68 came with random wiper parts in a box and nothing on the car. I'm trying to assemble it all. Last night, I went to put my new arms on the transmission and they turn on the knurled part. Is there supposed to be a key or something in the slot or does it just rely on the splines to hold it in place? Either way, mine doesn't work. Does anybody know if a vendor sells just the little knurled ****? I'd rather not spend $100+ on a whole used transmission if I can keep from it (given that I have nearly $1000 just in getting the wiper door and wiper parts already...). I checked Paragon, Corvette Central, and Willcox, but didn't see them.

While we're on the subject, what is this? It was in the box, but I don't see a place for it.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:46 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

how do you know you have the correct wiper arms? can you post a picture?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

My 82 is just like picture 1 above. Except the **** with the splines now moves and the driver side wiper wants to hit the passenger side. I drilled a hole/slot between the post and the splined top in two places and jb welded an aluminum nail into the slot/hole. Seems to be holding. The splined part is easier to drill. The post is very hard. If I have to do it again will get a new, sharp, hardened bit to expand the hole. Then would put a screw into the slot and cut off the head. Anyone have any other idea? Wilcox?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:13 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Larry82
My 82 is just like picture 1 above. Except the **** with the splines now moves and the driver side wiper wants to hit the passenger side. I drilled a hole/slot between the post and the splined top in two places and jb welded an aluminum nail into the slot/hole. Seems to be holding. The splined part is easier to drill. The post is very hard. If I have to do it again will get a new, sharp, hardened bit to expand the hole. Then would put a screw into the slot and cut off the head. Anyone have any other idea? Wilcox?
I'd use a roll pin. A roll pin is installed in a (very) undersize hole and the expansion of it keeps it in place. Almost never work loose. Same style pin holds the distributor gear on the shaft.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:34 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by E.Murray
My '68 came with random wiper parts in a box and nothing on the car. I'm trying to assemble it all. Last night, I went to put my new arms on the transmission and they turn on the knurled part. Is there supposed to be a key or something in the slot or does it just rely on the splines to hold it in place? Either way, mine doesn't work. Does anybody know if a vendor sells just the little knurled ****? I'd rather not spend $100+ on a whole used transmission if I can keep from it (given that I have nearly $1000 just in getting the wiper door and wiper parts already...). I checked Paragon, Corvette Central, and Willcox, but didn't see them.

While we're on the subject, what is this? It was in the box, but I don't see a place for it.

I'm a bit lost too... I have used transmission on my site for 40.00 a side. But I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

Are you wanting just the end where the arm attaches as shown in Alans picture.. if so you can't just purchase this item, you'll need a transmission.? Or something else? Post some pics of what you are needing..

The bracket you show in your picture looks like part of the wiper door reinforcement bracket. I'm not positive, but from my first look that's what it appears to be.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-21-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:27 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TimAT
I'd use a roll pin. A roll pin is installed in a (very) undersize hole and the expansion of it keeps it in place. Almost never work loose. Same style pin holds the distributor gear on the shaft.
Don't know what a roll pin is but where do I get one - have not googles yet.

Looked them up. Think a tapered treaded small screw would serve the same purpose. Roll pins come in quantities of MANY more that I would ever need. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by Wrecked82; 11-21-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

At most local car parts stores or hardware stores (not big box) you can buy roll pins individually or in small packages.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:03 AM
E.Murray
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, my knurled part is missing the key. The roll pin thing is a good idea.

Also, after some research, it looks like Willcox is right and there was a wiper door reinforcement bracket added after my '68. Is it worth trying to retrofit?

Last edited by E.Murray; 11-22-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Just an fyi for my comments, the 82 is a different construction. There is a post that a splined piece is pressed onto and then the wiper arm is pushed onto the splined piece. My problem is the splined piece moves on the post so I have to secure it by drilling a slot that extends into the post and into the splined fitting and then inserting something into that slot, securing both parts together. I drilled a hole and then put a metal piece into the hole to keep the splined piece from moving on the post. The splined piece is easier to drill. This post is very hard material. If I ever have to do it again, going to start with a new bit that is hardened.

Get notified of new replies

To Knurled wiper mount bushing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knurled wiper mount bushing