C7 ZR1 Discussion General ZR1 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Ordering ZR1 - Do it right away for MSRP or Wait for Discounts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 09:50 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Received 1,351 Likes on 554 Posts
Default Ordering ZR1 - Do it right away for MSRP or Wait for Discounts?

I have a deposit for MSRP, was wondering with ZR1 - does it tend to have as deep discounts as Z06 or is it just going to be always MSRP? If discounts are possible, how long after the 2018 spring release do you think they will happen?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

if I were you ,id wait 5-10 years for the cheaper ones
Old 11-22-2017, 10:58 AM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
if I were you ,id wait 5-10 years for the cheaper ones
I'm sorry, I dont understand your point here. I am not familiar with the Corvette world let alone ZR1. I just came here to ask for advice from people who may have gone through this.

I have recently dealt with a "limited" production car and ADMs and I am totally against the whole "every day that goes by without the car of my dreams, is a day I may not live, so I should go overspend to fill the pockets of stealerships" logic. I waited a year but I got my shelby GT350 @ MSRP when people 6 months before me were paying 10k over and a year before me were paying 20k over. And I got my car right in the middle of the entire production run so its not like I had to wait all the way to the end. It is still in production as we speak and my car is 1 year old.

So....

This all depends on how many GM produces, how long the production run is, and if usually ZR1s are some special cars or are they just another corvette. I dont know. I am hoping the forum can enlighten me here. I don't think it was a stupid/unreasonable question.

Even a 10% discount on a 140k car is a pretty substantial amount. That's the cost of full XPEL, tint, 3 set of brand new tires, new set of pads, and god knows what else. Why throw it out? I can wait 6 months or a year (my GT350 keeps me plenty happy) but I dont want to miss the boat because GM only produces these 8-9 months. Also isnt C8 around the corner? How would GM produce the mid engine C8 and C7 ZR1 at the same time? My worry is the production run will be very short.
The following users liked this post:
tstad9i1 (09-02-2018)
Old 11-22-2017, 11:19 AM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sla...-13507773/amp/
Originally Posted by UnhandledException
I have a deposit for MSRP, was wondering with ZR1 - does it tend to have as deep discounts as Z06 or is it just going to be always MSRP? If discounts are possible, how long after the 2018 spring release do you think they will happen?
they’re going to be low volume due to the overstock of vettes. I don’t think they’ll make more than 3k a year more like 2k. So, I dont see a big inventory and if it hits the targeted goal of sub 7 these cars will be gone quickly. Check the link above.

Last edited by Nadovedan; 11-22-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:12 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Nadovedan
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sla...-13507773/amp/
they’re going to be low volume due to the overstock of vettes. I don’t think they’ll make more than 3k a year more like 2k. So, I dont see a big inventory and if it hits the targeted goal of sub 7 these cars will be gone quickly. Check the link above.
Got to love these journalist's pumping up the features all while knowing nothing about Corvette's. Can't even get the features or the weight right.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:16 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Buy now for full sticker or wait for discounts? Only you can answer this.

C6 ZR1 prices stayed at sticker or higher at first, then descended to 10-15-20k off in its later years. The same thing is happening with the C7 Z06. Last night I checked out a Z06 [edit: I checked the sticker just now and it is NOT a Z07) 3LZ coupe with automatic that's been discounted to $89k, or below the $91 sticker for my Z06 2LZ vert with manual. Do you value the savings more? Or would you eat the cost so you can drive it now?

Same with the C7 ZR1, although with the complication that it will likely run for only two model years if Chevy totally switches over to the C8 for MY2021. Do you want to have and drive the last and greatest of the old-school supercars now, or wait and save money in return for enduring whatever lesser car you're stuck with until then?

If I could immediately afford a new ZR1, which I doubt I can in the next few months, I'd wait, simply because once was enough to pay full price for the greatest car available and I can sure live with a mere Z06 indefinitely.

Last edited by HolyRoller; 11-22-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:42 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
Buy now for full sticker or wait for discounts? Only you can answer this.

C6 ZR1 prices stayed at sticker or higher at first, then descended to 10-15-20k off in its later years. The same thing is happening with the C7 Z06. Last night I checked out a Z06 [edit: I checked the sticker just now and it is NOT a Z07) 3LZ coupe with automatic that's been discounted to $89k, or below the $91 sticker for my Z06 2LZ vert with manual. Do you value the savings more? Or would you eat the cost so you can drive it now?

Same with the C7 ZR1, although with the complication that it will likely run for only two model years if Chevy totally switches over to the C8 for MY2021. Do you want to have and drive the last and greatest of the old-school supercars now, or wait and save money in return for enduring whatever lesser car you're stuck with until then?

If I could immediately afford a new ZR1, which I doubt I can in the next few months, I'd wait, simply because once was enough to pay full price for the greatest car available and I can sure live with a mere Z06 indefinitely.
How long was the C6 ZR1 production run? 2 distinct very connected dealers I spoke to told me the production run will be quite short - around 15-16 months due to the C8 platform. Are you saying in 15 months car will go from above sticker to 20k off?
Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 PM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

Rumor has it that it is one model year( a long one) run only. So the deep discounts the other cars got after a few years may not happen. I would by now if I had the means to do so.
The following users liked this post:
UnhandledException (11-22-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 08:17 PM
UnhandledException
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronstar
Rumor has it that it is one model year( a long one) run only. So the deep discounts the other cars got after a few years may not happen. I would by now if I had the means to do so.
This is also what I heard which is why I am tempted to just pay MSRP and get the car when my turn comes this summer (hopefully).
Old 11-22-2017, 08:28 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm finding that as I get older time means a lot more that 20 years ago. It's a balancing act. If GM announces how many will be built it will be a lot easier to predict over MSRP vs when discounts could be had. When current Z06 came our I decided to wait till I could get one at close to 10% off sticker. I found/bought a car built close to what I would have ordered by May of the first production year.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:43 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

How long was the C6 ZR1 production run?
MY2009-13. They were always a low volume item but after the initial frenzy the supply exceeded demand. Even the greatest Corvette to date, which it certainly was, cannot override the laws of economics. By December 2010 lots of dealers were discounting them 10-20k. I well remember, because that's about the time I started looking at them. Wound up with a 2011 base coupe 1LT "Poverty Package" in July 2011 for 9k off sticker. Loved it, drove it 102,000 miles, traded it in on my Z06 vert in October 2015 for sticker price, ouch, but it blows away any C6 in every way. And now THOSE are being discounted 10k.
2 distinct very connected dealers I spoke to told me the production run will be quite short - around 15-16 months due to the C8 platform.
We around here have learned not to believe anything, but anything, dealers say about Corvettes. Even if they sincerely think they're right, Chevy doesn't tell them everything, not to mention that few sales reps know beans about Corvettes because they're only a tiny slice of the Chevy business. That said, they might be right on this one. My dealer says nobody has allocations yet, which I believe only because they called me right away when they had a Z06 slot! So production is months away, and if the C8 takes over in about September 2019, then yes, time could be important.
Are you saying in 15 months car will go from above sticker to 20k off?
It might. Vipers did. No matter what a dealer wants to charge, the free market wins. Maybe a whole lot of willing and able buyers are ready to throw down for the last of the C7s, and maybe they'll sit this one out until the C8 rolls. I'm inclined to forecast the latter. But if you take one now, at a price you're happy with, then you get the fun of driving your ZR1. Pop the top on a warm sunny day, do a few pulls to redline with the exhaust open, knowing you're one of a couple thousand worldwide who gets to do that ... some things you can't put a price on.

Again, only you can decide!
Old 11-23-2017, 12:48 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It will take a year before there will be any real discounting and that depends on the initial volume and demand.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:39 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

If you have the funds and like the ZR1 I would get one as soon as possible. I think a year maybe some discounts but nothing like the other C7'S for a while.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

As others have said, no way of really telling when discounts will start for the ZR1. I’m guessing most of the big corvette forum dealers will be initially selling at msrp. Of course there will tons of dealers marking up above msrp in hopes of catching a live one and no doubt will have some success.

If you are planning on getting a manual tranny like you have in your GT350, the 7 spd manual seems to be a good solid piece just like the similar 6 spd’s have been in previous vette generations. The 8 spd auto is a different story. There are tons of reports and threads on here with A8 tranny/ torque converter issues. Best to read up on them, if you want to go that route.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:53 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

If you want the car just do it. Playing the what will it depreciate/be worth game/be a collector car never wins. How many C6Zr1s were they claiming to produce vs what was actually produced? C7Z06s are all over the place. Will people jump to buy the new ZR or wait for the ME? Will it be a limited run???? Will the ME be as quick? Will you like it??? Only you can answer what you want and what works financially.

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 11-23-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:19 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I think the ZR1 production run will be 18 months at the most. It is a model to keep the C7 interest a bit active until the introduction of the C8. I would buy one now versus sitting on the sidelines waiting for any significant discounts which may or may not happen.
If they do discount them then you will be wondering is it because of poor sales or is the C8 about to be introduced. Should I wait, etc. etc. Get it now and enjoy it.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:38 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

I'm not even sure what I'm gonna do so you don't want my input.

Get notified of new replies

To Ordering ZR1 - Do it right away for MSRP or Wait for Discounts?

Old 11-25-2017, 01:23 AM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

Using previous trends, It would be a significant departure for GM to spend all if this R&D to limit this car to one model year. The C4 lasted 84-96 (13 years), C5 lasted 97-04 (8 years), and C6 lasted 05-13 (9 years). I suspect there will be at least 2 model years with the ZR1 if not more...

Keep in mind magazines and (some) dealers are in the business of hype... Convincing you the car will be a limited production run is a very old sales tactic... Maybe it actually will be but again, this will be a significant departure from GM's SOP.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:29 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronstar
That is definitely rumor and innuendo.

There's something about putting all of that research, development and costs into a vehicle that will only last one model year (and in small production numbers more than likely), albeit a longer one, that I just don't buy.

I really think they might come out with a more refined version the following year based on the feedback and sales of the initial release.

As far as the topic at hand, I would look for a discount and negotiate if needed, but have a budget for MSRP. Also regardless of price, I'd custom order mine. No way I'm taking one off the lot. Not at whatever price they're talking. But that's just me.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:15 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Are you willing to gamble???

Quick Reply: Ordering ZR1 - Do it right away for MSRP or Wait for Discounts?