Sponsored by:

When birds attack!! Beware

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 AM
WadesZ06
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default When birds attack!! Beware

Hello all, I am a long term Corvette owner, having recently sold my 08 Z06 to purchase a new 2017 Black on Black GS. The GS was purchased two months ago and underwent a personalized full paint correction to correct long term dealership neglect just three weeks ago. Then my wife and I took our first long distance trip with the car from Palm Springs to Justin Winery in Paso Robles. Parked the car in a seemingly protected area near our villa, relieved there was no chance of door dings to my beautiful new GS.
After two wonderful days of wine and relaxation, I pop the trunk to load up for the trip home and hear something hitting against my car. I glance around and notice a cute little bird beating the hell out of himself against the lower door. Just then an employee walks by and says “hey man, nice car”. He noticed me inspecting the paint and says “yesterday I heard a racket out here and noticed that bird attacking his reflection” WTF, could have let me know yesterday.

Turns out my highly reflective paint correction made this batsh*t crazy bird spend two full days taking on his own reflection causing hundreds, if not thousands of scratches in the bottom twelve inches of both sides of my GS and the left rear pillar.

I have had red, silver and black polished cars and have never heard of anything like this. In the future, I will be traveling with bird ribbon/streamers just in case. (Even if it makes my beast look like a three year old girls tricycle)SEE PICS: first five are the damage, last three are post 2 step correction
Attached Images         
Old 12-10-2017, 01:47 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Unbelievable! I have never seen or heard of anything like that in my life. The paint correction looks good. What did you use, and or how did you do it? Looks as good as new.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:10 AM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 211 Posts

WTF, that is nuts. I saw a kitten on a car at an apartment complex on a car testing out his claws back in the day but never a bird go batshit crazy in his own reflection. That being said having had a pet bird with some strange quirks, granted not the same, ya never know what was going through it's mind.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:20 AM
WadesZ06
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by joemessman
Unbelievable! I have never seen or heard of anything like that in my life. The paint correction looks good. What did you use, and or how did you do it? Looks as good as new.
Could not believe it myself. Luckily the correction went great using a Rupes LHR 75E mini random orbital polisher. First step was nanoskin sponge. Second was 3 inch McGuire’s microfiber cutting disc with Jescar correcting compound using four pass crosshatch pattern. Third step was Rupes 3 inch yellow pad with Sonax Perfect Finish in same pattern. Will likely throw some Collinite on top next weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by WadesZ06:
///ADMAN (12-10-2017), joemessman (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 03:06 AM
movinlow
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear that!! Sounds like you know a thing or two about detailing a car!! Great job, didn’t understand much of what you said to fix it lol

Last edited by movinlow; 12-10-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:29 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by WadesZ06
Could not believe it myself. Luckily the correction went great using a Rupes LHR 75E mini random orbital polisher. First step was nanoskin sponge. Second was 3 inch McGuire’s microfiber cutting disc with Jescar correcting compound using four pass crosshatch pattern. Third step was Rupes 3 inch yellow pad with Sonax Perfect Finish in same pattern. Will likely throw some Collinite on top next weekend.
Glad you were able to get the marks out. Just picked up a Rupes LHR15 Mark II myself, so glad to hear their mini worked for you. I bought their kit so it comes with blue and green cutting pads and yellow and white finishing pads with their associated polishing compounds. Looking forward to testing it on my truck before I work on the car.

How do you like the 75 mini? I was thinking that I might want to get one of those or an iBrid nano for doing tight places like door jams and such.

Mike
Old 12-10-2017, 08:14 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by movinlow
Wow, sorry to hear that!! Sounds like you know a thing or two about detailing a car!! Great job, didn’t understand much of what you said to fix it lol

+1

Same here (I did not understand a lot of it).

However, I figure that as long as I stay active on the forum, I will continue to absorb much knowledge and wisdom!
Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,685 Likes on 5,589 Posts

If you own a black C7 you have to know a thing or two about detailing if you want a decent looking car as every little imperfection shows.

That's the craziest thing, good that you knew exactly what to do to correct. Kind of shows that no matter how much care you take to protect
you car, it's really just a roll of the dice.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:53 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

OK. One hell of a story lol... after owning several black cars and one black toy car, if I did a black vette it would have to be fully PPF'd and forget about it. owning a black hobby weekend car took up most of my "enjoyment" while owning it. Those of us who have some form of OCD should NEVER own a black vette lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
DWS44 (12-10-2017), Kevin A Jones (12-10-2017), MikeyTX (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:06 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 639 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
OK. One hell of a story lol... after owning several black cars and one black toy car, if I did a black vette it would have to be fully PPF'd and forget about it. owning a black hobby weekend car took up most of my "enjoyment" while owning it. Those of us who have some form of OCD should NEVER own a black vette lol.

As I stated - I'm here to learn.

So, with that in mind . . . . . what is PPF'd? Some kind of paint protection (PP?), no doubt (like Xpel or a Opt-Pro) . . . . . right?

(I recently purchased a black Z06, so this is an important educational process!)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 AM
WadesZ06
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mcoomer

How do you like the 75 mini? I was thinking that I might want to get one of those or an iBrid nano for doing tight places like door jams and such.

Mike
Love the Rupes mini! Have a Porter Cable DA that I did the first correction with. Bought this specifically for the tight spaces that this bird damaged. After using it I may have to buy both the regular and iBrid nano (although I am hoping not to need paint correction for a long, long time!!!).
Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 AM
WadesZ06
Heel & Toe

Those kinds of details are probably better for the Car Care Discussion I suppose. To put it in simpler terms: Polish the crap out of it until I take off enough clear coat to make it look good again
Old 12-10-2017, 09:30 AM
Rangerdog1
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Great job on the paint correction.
The following users liked this post:
WadesZ06 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:31 AM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Great job on the crazy bird damage.
The following users liked this post:
WadesZ06 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:32 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
but never a bird go batshit crazy in his own reflection.
For a few years, our office was in a several-story office building with mirror glass, and large ledges outside the windows. It was not uncommon at all for us to see birds of all sizes sitting on the ledges and trying to interact with their reflections...some would just tap endlessly at the windows while others went nuts screaming and trying to attack. Some were quite comical, but what a mess for the OP!
Old 12-10-2017, 09:39 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

I feel your pain brother!

Had that happen on my wifes black Lexus and my dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee. Park in the driveway for 5 mins, and full scale attack was on from Cardinals & Blue Jays..

Damn birds! Now we drive WHITE cars!
Yep, the constant bird attacks affected our purchase decision!
Attached Images   

Last edited by YO-EL; 12-10-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

What bad luck. Glad you sorted it out.

Get notified of new replies

To When birds attack!! Beware

Old 12-10-2017, 09:57 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Well that's one for the birds, but in the end nice job you know your stuff.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:58 AM
WadesZ06
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by YO-EL
I feel your pain brother!

Had that happen on my wifes black Lexus and my dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee. Park in the driveway for 5 mins, and full scale attack was on from Cardinals & Blue Jays..

Damn birds! Now we drive WHITE cars!
Yep, the constant bird attacks affected our purchase decision!
Wow!! Here I thought the hardest thing about owning a black corvette was dust.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06
WTF, that is nuts. I saw a kitten on a car at an apartment complex on a car testing out his claws back in the day but never a bird go batshit crazy in his own reflection. That being said having had a pet bird with some strange quirks, granted not the same, ya never know what was going through it's mind.
Obviously a BIRD-BRAIN...

Quick Reply: When birds attack!! Beware