Sponsored by:

Corvette Price

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:43 AM
Nael
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette Price

I know this may be a really dumb question to ask, but I wanted to know what makes the corvette cost as much as it does.
In comparison with the Camaro SS, the Corvette is around $18k more expensive (base prices for both)
Both cars have the same engine, similar interior / luxury, similar track capabilities and similar track times.
The only true difference I see is the body (aerodynamics), and weight (material used).
Is this really worth 18 grand, or am I missing something?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:08 AM
movinlow
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Nael
I know this may be a really dumb question to ask, but I wanted to know what makes the corvette cost as much as it does.
In comparison with the Camaro SS, the Corvette is around $18k more expensive (base prices for both)
Both cars have the same engine, similar interior / luxury, similar track capabilities and similar track times.
The only true difference I see is the body (aerodynamics), and weight (material used).
Is this really worth 18 grand, or am I missing something?
I suggest you drive one and decide for yourself if the price is worth the difference
Old 12-10-2017, 03:31 AM
Nael
6th Gear

Originally Posted by movinlow
I suggest you drive one and decide for yourself if the price is worth the difference
I agree with you, driving experience and overall feel could be much better. But, statistically speaking, what makes the corvette more expensive?
The following users liked this post:
Russ T Gate (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 04:00 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I'm sure GM has an official media relations type answer like R&D and such. I've always surmised it's because that is the price that the market will bear. Much like the optional paint such as Long Beach red is $995 on a Vette, but on any other GM vehicle it's called Siren red optioned at $395 and it's the same exact paint code.

A no optioned Grand Sport and a loaded ZL1 Camaro (supercharged LT4 650 HP) are about the same price. Just prior to my last Vette order I thought about the ZL1 for a moment, then realized that I would have to drive it. Edge Grand Sport Corvette.
cspnboy (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 06:15 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

R and D
better equipment
Looks
Old 12-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Companies are free to charge what they want, for any reason they want. Consumers are free to pay these prices, or not.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:34 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

R&D expenses for the Camaro are spread over approximately two times the cars compared to Corvette for any given years sales. Add to that the cost of the machinery to manufacture parts is spread over half as many Corvettes as Camaros, then the cost of composite panels that are not in the Camaro.
Consider that Camaro benefits from the R&D put into Corvette that Camaro then "borrows" to lower their per/unit cost. Americans love R&D but hate to pay for it. Those costs have to be recouped somewhere and Corvette is the halo car that gets hit with many of those development costs.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:38 AM
ironman77
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The reason is a vette is better built than a Camaro and tuned better. Let's use this formula, if you drove a mustang,camaro or a Challenger you would be driving home a Challenger by far, dodge by far has them beat in the the pony car area. The Challenger stands out and it is a built better by far and the driving experience is outstanding just like the Vette in its category.
One reason sales feel to floor on Camaro and mustang is because it feels blah driving, the formula does not work
​​​​​
Old 12-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

I agree with others, as to R&D costs and the distribution of such account for quite a bit of it. And even though there's similarities there's substantial differences in materials as well and cost of these materials.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:41 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

it's called the Corvette tax
Old 12-10-2017, 11:45 AM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ironman77
the reason is a vette is better built than a camaro and tuned better. let's use this formula, if you drove a mustang,camaro or a challenger you would be driving home a challenger by far, dodge by far has them beat in the the pony car area. The challenger stands out and it is a built better by far and the driving experience is outstanding just like the vette in its category.
One reason sales feel to floor on camaro and mustang is because it feels blah driving, the formula does not work
​​​​​
what???

OP the Vette is far better engineered. Just compare the stamped steel of the Camaro chassis and suspension to the aluminum structure and suspension pieces of the Corvette, among others...

Last edited by 2cnd Chance; 12-10-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:47 AM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Just a guess but a transaxle, composite body panels and an all aluminum chassis come to mind. Don't forget the butt-load of panache!

Last edited by evoroadster; 12-10-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Kevin A Jones (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Nael
6th Gear

Originally Posted by roadbike56
R&D expenses for the Camaro are spread over approximately two times the cars compared to Corvette for any given years sales. Add to that the cost of the machinery to manufacture parts is spread over half as many Corvettes as Camaros, then the cost of composite panels that are not in the Camaro.
Consider that Camaro benefits from the R&D put into Corvette that Camaro then "borrows" to lower their per/unit cost. Americans love R&D but hate to pay for it. Those costs have to be recouped somewhere and Corvette is the halo car that gets hit with many of those development costs.
In that sense, you are truly correct. However, am I paying $18k extra because it costed GM more money to make the car, or because the car is better?
What I want to know is if the corvette really is better, or not.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Nael
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ironman77
The reason is a vette is better built than a Camaro and tuned better. Let's use this formula, if you drove a mustang,camaro or a Challenger you would be driving home a Challenger by far, dodge by far has them beat in the the pony car area. The Challenger stands out and it is a built better by far and the driving experience is outstanding just like the Vette in its category.
One reason sales feel to floor on Camaro and mustang is because it feels blah driving, the formula does not work
​​​​​
That is very untrue. In sales, the three are ranked accordingly: 1. Mustang 2. Camaro 3. Challenger
The only car's sales that are to the floor is the challenger's.
Second, a corvette isn't actually tuned better than a Camaro. You can search up stock dyno's for Camaro vs. Corvette and you will realize the camaro packs a little more horsepower than the corvette does.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by Daniel Libutti
Just a guess but a transaxle, composite body panels and an all aluminum chassis come to mind. Don't forget the butt-load of panache!

Just the point I was making in my above post. Comparing even a base C7 to the most sofisicated Camaro is like comparing apples to bananas.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

In that sense, you are truly correct. However, am I paying $18k extra because it costed GM more money to make the car, or because the car is better?
Whether it's better or not depends on individual preference, however it's definitely very different and cost more to build than a Camaro.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Better at what?

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Price

Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
R and D
better equipment
Looks
The Vette is a low production vehicle. The per unit cost is higher.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

You are starting to sound like someone who just wants to debate. Better, or not, in what categories?

The only person who can state which is a better car for you, is YOU.
You are on a Corvette forum so answers will be biased. If you visit a Camaro forum the same holds true.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 12-10-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:47 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Does the Corvette cost more to build then the Camaro? Almost certainly. Is the cost difference between the two complete a factor of build costs? Probably not.

Also, there is a lot of funny money that goes into the accounting for these things. If an engine was developed for the Corvette, and then a couple of years later modified and adapted to the Camaro, where did the cost of designing the engine get allocated to?

Finally, seems like a bunch of people weighing in on the thread who have never driven an Alpha platform Camaro

Quick Reply: Corvette Price