Sponsored by:

Joining the Owners' Fold! Doing a deal remotely/shipping/upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:54 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Joining the Owners' Fold! Doing a deal remotely/shipping/upgrades

Finally made the commitment and put a down payment on my first ever corvette. Had to tell the wife this would count towards my mid life crisis The last sports car I owned was a '95 z28 back in college with the LT1...it cranked out a whopping 285 horses and 325 lb/ft of torque

It will be interesting getting used to a 2015 Z06 with at least double both those specs

We're finalizing the deal and arranging shipping tomorrow morning, so wanted to look for some advice on dealing with a dealer remotely and working with a shipping company? How to safeguard against issues if they arise? Any recommendations on having the vehicle inspected at the dealership by a 3rd party?

Lastly, the car is almost exactly what I wanted, but I've always really liked the looks of the heritage editions. The dealer isn't a corvette dealer, so I'm not sure what services they can provide. I'd like to get the windows tinted, maybe add the fender stripes and the carbon flash hood cowl. Any idea on pricing to get the windows professionally tinted or add the graphics? I'm on the fence about undercarriage lighting...sexy or cheezy? I thought maybe red or white underneath might look good. Any other cool features you guys have seen on the white vettes?

Look forward to doing a few trackdays (which is the reason I got the PDR!) in the mid atlantic region as well, so maybe I'll get to meet a few of you guys face to face. I've done trackdays in the past with bikes..wasn't sure how the cost compared for a car track day?

Last edited by jdlev; 12-10-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Popular Reply

12-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

Have the car taken to a Chevrolet dealer and make SURE the ECU has not been flashed with a non-factory software program. That will void any warranty coverage from GM. There was a guy on here recently that bought a used C7 and the motor blew up shortly after he got it. It would have been under warranty from GM but the ECU had been flashed by the previous owner. I'd want that checked out at a dealer and have that IN WRITING before I bought a Z06 used. Do your due-diligence, my friend!
Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Good for you!

Since there is no way of knowing who your dealer is and what experience they may or may not have shipping cars I'd be REALLY cautious. You might try to recruit someone here who could inspect the car for you or find a person who specializes in doing so for a fee (check Hemmings, for example). The same for shippers; I'd NOT want to leave it to an unknown dealer. I know people who really got burnt shipping cars. Believe me, YOU want to choose your shipper to avoid the many, many brokered, fly-by-night outfits. If your dealer does such all the time, great, but I doubt they do.

Bottom line for me would be to eliminate a LOT of potential problems and fly to it and look yourself and IF you buy it drive it home. That's as I did with a new one a couple months ago from Kerbeck's.

All the best and I hope it turns out just like you wish.

p.s. since you asked... "cheezy!!!"
The following 2 users liked this post by Avanti:
jdlev (12-10-2017), Village joe (12-14-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 12:16 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

There's really nothing to it. Sign the paperwork, provide copies of what the dealer requests, call a shipper, and either pay the dealer in full before shipping, or arrange for the financing. EZPZ.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:35 AM
jdlev
Instructor

I'm starting to agree with you. Been looking over some LED lighting on the z06...definitely cheesy. I used to be a big bike guy...when led's are used on a 'minimalist' level...just enough to let you know they're there...they can look pretty cool on classic bikes/choppers. Gotta agree with you at this point....the scales have tipped to 75% cheesy, 25% 'just, why?!' lol Here's a few winners:

I call this one Optimus Prime:

Aquaman:

They weren't all insults to the visible spectrum lol. Did find a few nice modifications...
Old 12-11-2017, 12:54 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Do yourself a favor and go inspect the car prior to purchasing it, especially considering it's pre-owned, risky otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
AttyVette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:57 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats and good luck finalizing the deal and getting the car shipped to you.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:58 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I would suggest you read this lengthy thread where a CF member bought a used Corvette and the problems he had with the warranty.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...won-t-fix.html
The following 2 users liked this post by ricks327:
AttyVette (12-15-2017), jdlev (12-14-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:58 AM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Intercity and Exotic are two companies forum members here use and recommend.

Here's a recent thread on the topic https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ping-cost.html
The following 2 users liked this post by muncie21:
AttyVette (12-15-2017), jdlev (12-15-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

Have the car taken to a Chevrolet dealer and make SURE the ECU has not been flashed with a non-factory software program. That will void any warranty coverage from GM. There was a guy on here recently that bought a used C7 and the motor blew up shortly after he got it. It would have been under warranty from GM but the ECU had been flashed by the previous owner. I'd want that checked out at a dealer and have that IN WRITING before I bought a Z06 used. Do your due-diligence, my friend!
The following 6 users liked this post by Blue666's:
16mako (12-11-2017), AttyVette (12-15-2017), Crossed Flags Fan (12-14-2017), jdlev (12-14-2017), karmatourer (12-15-2017), Red C8 of Jax (12-14-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-14-2017, 05:08 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blue666's
Great advice and why I'm glad I joined the forums!

Flight is booked and I'm heading up there this Saturday to give it a good look over before finalizing the transaction.

I know the basics and have done a fair amount of my own repairs in the past, but the ecu flashing wasn't something I had considered...so thanks for the suggestion! Everything I've read about the z06 is that it's the perfect marriage of technology and brute strength. I guess now would be a great time to put together a list of things to go over on the car.

Truth be told, I was blown away after test driving a few Z51s, so can't wait to see what the z can do. 3.2s 0-60? Sweet Jebus! It'll actually be the first z I've driven. Main reason I went with the Z over a new GS was actually a lot of what I'd read from others on the forums here...saying that the extra 200 ponies are well worth it. That, and the price of the GS (once you removed the $3k 'loyalty' bonus) was pretty much identical to the '15-'16 z06 with low miles, so I figured what the hell.

Still, when we crreeeep out of the lot on the test drive...I'll be making sure she's in touring mode w/ all the traction control on
Old 12-14-2017, 10:48 AM
JJAY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

I would consider a new GS over used. You never know about the used one. The used one can have many unknown issues as others have stated ...
Old 12-14-2017, 04:47 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Originally Posted by ricks327
I would suggest you read this lengthy thread where a CF member bought a used Corvette and the problems he had with the warranty.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...won-t-fix.html
I've read the z06 for 2015 came with a 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty and 3yr/36k mile bumper-to-bumper? Is that the warranty only for the original owner, or is it the same warranty regardless if the car is resold? I remember other manufactures would shorten the length of the warranty once a resale of the vehicle takes place - though not sure if that's what GM does.

I believe in 2016, GM rolled back the powertrain coverage to 5yr/60k miles?

Manufacture date was 2/15.

If anyone is interested in more details on the car, I don't mind sharing the link (since I put a deposit down ) You can see the entire car ad here. Think I got a decent deal for the '15 Z06 2LZ w/ 15k miles for basically $61k.

They're a Mercedes AMG certified dealer, but I'm not sure if they can certify that the ECU is 'clean'? Guess I'll go try to have the salesman confirm that before I waste a flight and entire day if the warranty is void.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:51 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Originally Posted by jdlev
I've read the z06 for 2015 came with a 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty and 3yr/36k mile bumper-to-bumper? Is that the warranty only for the original owner, or is it the same warranty regardless if the car is resold? I remember other manufactures would shorten the length of the warranty once a resale of the vehicle takes place - though not sure if that's what GM does.

I believe in 2016, GM rolled back the powertrain coverage to 5yr/60k miles?

Manufacture date was 2/15.

If anyone is interested in more details on the car, I don't mind sharing the link (since I put a deposit down ) You can see the entire car ad here. Think I got a decent deal for the '15 Z06 2LZ w/ 15k miles for basically $61k.

They're a Mercedes AMG certified dealer, but I'm not sure if they can certify that the ECU is 'clean'? Guess I'll go try to have the salesman confirm that before I waste a flight and entire day if the warranty is void.
If they can not certify that the ECU is clean but say that it is good and you still want to buy the car, I would make sure that the purchase agreement states that they will cover the drivetrain warranty if GM doesn't. Verbal statements/agreements are worthless. Most used car sales agreements state "Sold As Is". Just my .02 on a 61k purchase.
The following 3 users liked this post by ricks327:
AttyVette (12-15-2017), Crossed Flags Fan (12-14-2017), jdlev (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:25 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Not sure how easy it's going to be to get an ECM 'certified' as not having been flashed.

My understanding is that the ECM keeps track of the number of times it has been flashed. The dealer reviews all service records to identify 'flash' related activities and hopefully the two numbers match. Depending on the number of service entries and how detailed/accurate they are, this may or may not be a task the dealer wishes to take on.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:34 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

For shipping use Intercity they are the best. Enjoy your beautiful beast.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 PM
jdlev
Instructor

Rick...thanks for the link, next time maybe just offer up the cliffnotes version, lol! That thread painful to read! Part broken record, part energizer bunny, and part invaluable advice pretty much sums it up lol. Thanks again

Also, sent the dealer a message to check out the vette tomorrow before I make the trip up there Saturday.

Basically, let the dealer know (according to the thread you referenced) that to be certain there's been no tampering with the ecm, they'd have to hook up a EFILive Flash Scan V2 and go to the calibration history in handheld mode in the diagnostics menu. They should get the CVN numbers listed (which there should be up to 10), to confirm they are all original GM setups. It's the only way to be certain at time of purchase that no one's tuned the ecm which would void the warranty.

The salesman's a nice guy lol, but I think I'm wearing him thin. Salesman said the best he could do since he didn't have the Flash Scan was to talk to the former owner who was a friend of his (there were 2 former owners), and the service department that performed the last work on the vehicle, who said they saw no signs of flashing of the ecm. It was a bit concerning that they balked at putting it in writing in the purchase contract saying that they'd confirmed no tampering had taken place with the ECM which would void the warranty.

Anyways, I assumed (so correct me if I'm wrong) that the only way to be 100% certain there hasn't been any modifications to the ecm that would void the warranty is to confirm the CVN numbers in the memory of the ecm are only original GM CVN codes?

So now we're in a dilly of a pickle because it means we have to take it to a chevy dealer in the Burlington area, and he's not certain he can get that done tomorrow. My flight up there leaves Saturday morning.

Not sure how to handle this since I put a $1k deposit down on the car for them to hold it for me. I can't risk spending $60k on a car that might require a $12-13k engine repair if the engine grenades. I guess my only option is to let him know the deal hinges on being able to confirm the ecm is clean for the deal to go through? I don't know...what would you guys do? What do you think of the whole situation?
Old 12-14-2017, 09:27 PM
JJAY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't spend $61,000 on 3 year old car with 2 prior owners that I didn't personally know.
The following users liked this post:
AttyVette (12-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Joining the Owners' Fold! Doing a deal remotely/shipping/upgrades

Old 12-15-2017, 12:38 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Originally Posted by JJAY
Bottom Line:
I wouldn't spend $61,000 on 3 year old car with 2 prior owners that I didn't personally know.
Especially given the type of car we are talking about, this is not grandmother's Malibu driven to church every Sunday.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:44 AM
jdlev
Instructor

If they can not certify that the ECU is clean but say that it is good and you still want to buy the car, I would make sure that the purchase agreement states that they will cover the drivetrain warranty if GM doesn't. Verbal statements/agreements are worthless. Most used car sales agreements state "Sold As Is". Just my .02 on a 61k purchase.
Thanks, and agreed. "Ghost" (like the nickname? ) is heading to a local chevy dealer to have the ECM properly inspected in the morning. If any of the CVN Numbers come back from any other origin than GM, then I'll pass on the deal. With a car built to the specs of the z06, it's bound to have warranty repairs done at some point...maybe that's why GM shortened the warranty period in '16?

The dealership is a reputable AMG Mercedes-Benz dealership in Brunswick. If you guys click the link above, you can see in the pictures hthe car looks almost perfect.

Come to think of it, this would be the perfect opportunity to get a 3rd opinion on the car. See if they can't give it a good once over and maybe take it out for a spin to offer their opinion on the mechanical condition of the car.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:54 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Totally agree. Actually asked them to guarantee it in writing and they said they couldn't. Can't say I blame them. I wouldn't want on the hook for a new z06 LT4 or transmission if I wasn't a chevy dealer.

With them not willing to offer a guarantee, I told them the deal hinged on ECM getting a clean bill of health. If any non-GM tunes show up, then I'm going to pass on the deal. It's one thing to buy a $60k car w/ 2 years left on the warranty for the power train, but only a lunatic would drop $60k on a used car if there's the slightest possibility the warranty could be voided due to previous modifications.

In the end, if the ECM isn't clean, the mechanic doesn't clear the car, or my test drive and own inspection don't go as planned, I'll back out of the deal and move on to the next good deal I can find.

Honestly, it was the best deal I've found in 3 months of searching for a z06 that wasn't a flood or buy back by about $4k. I tried to have a local deal come w/ in 2k of the pirce on an identical '16 model, and they couldn't even come within 7k.

Anyways...point is, if I feel uneasy about anything I'll back out of the deal. If everything (hopefully) checks out, I'll have the best deal I've been able to find on a primo z06.

Quick Reply: Joining the Owners' Fold! Doing a deal remotely/shipping/upgrades