C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you handle this dealership situation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 08:42 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Default How would you handle this dealership situation?

Well, 72 days after I brought the car in for an alignment, I finally got it back. I got it back with one new wheel and 3 with all the plasti-dip scratched off the wheels. I'm not sure why, but whatever- it's $30 and an hour of time. They gave me an oil change and rear diff fluid change too.

I brought it in for alignment and balancing tire. Sat there for 2 weeks and wheel mysteriously cracked after being there 2 weeks. After a lot of bickering, they agreed to replace the wheel IF I PROMISED TO SAY I WAS COMPLETELY SATISFIED IN MY SURVEY. Sure- they are **** wheels, they were probably test driving it and it bent on a pothole. They fix it, I'm cool.

Fast forward to day 45: I go back unannounced. Why isn't my car ready? Oh, we couldn't find the part number. Wait- so for 3+ weeks, you have had the car, couldn't find the part number and just gave up hope? Exactly.

I call up the Dealer (different place than where it's at) I bought it from (when I bought it, they swapped wheels with another car on the lot- I originally had chrome, swapped for black + red stripe), get them them part number and VIN. Dealer actually offers to pay for it if they can't get GM to pay for it. (Talk about customer service!)

Then **** really starts going sideways. I am going out of town for 3 weeks and I'm promised it will all be good when I get back. I say fine, but I need you to do a rear diff and engine oil change because I have a $600 track day the following weekend and won't have time to do it myself. I'll pay for fluid, but I'm not paying for labor.
Manager is super cool and says it's all on the house.
Fine. Whatever- it's been a pain but it saves me a few hours so we're all good.

I get back and sure as **** the car hasn't moved. Same exact spot it was 3 weeks ago when I left. But they promise me the wheel just got here yesterday, we'll swap it now and the fluids have already been done.

Wait half an hour and they bring me back to ask me if I was okay with the minor model year update of the new wheel- the cast "Corvette" was slightly different. I told them I didn't so much mind the different "Corvette" casting as I did them putting a Z51 wheel on my Grand Sport. It took them another honest 5-10 min to finally realize a Z51 wheel wasn't a grand sport wheel.

We go back and forth and finally they tell me my dealer who sold me the car put C6 wheels on the car, which is why they can't find the part number. Remember: Weeks ago, the dealer had already called them to try and help me out, gave them the part number of the wheel and the vin number of the car it came off of (I swapped with another car on the lot when I bought it) and offered to pay for the damn wheel.

Story now: They are claiming it's an aftermarket wheel or a C6 wheel. I start to lose it a little- a) it's a wheel you can order on the car from the website right now b) I have C6 grand sport wheels at home. This isn't a C6 wheel c) THE CORVETTE IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR SHOWROOM HAS THESE EXACT WHEELS IN THIS EXACT COLOR (black + red stripe).

They are now completely baffled that they got a Z51 wheel because they used the VIN off the showroom car to order the wheel. But wait- it gets better. The car on the showroom floor IS A Z06. So they are giving my dealer **** for swapping wheels between two grand sports (other customer wanted chrome, I wanted black- worked out perfect) while they swapped GS wheels with a Z06. AND SOMEHOW GOT A Z51 WHEEL

Anyway, they tell me they will overnight a wheel and the oil change is done and the rear diff fluid has been swapped. Right in front of them, I pop the hood, pull out the dipstick and clean it off with a paper towel. Yup, looks like 4000 mile old oil with a track day or two on it. Now I'm seriously pissed. They lied to me about the oil being changed.

In the meantime, my buddy who got me the employee discount on the car has gotten wind of this and isn't amused. GM has called me to see why the hell my car has been in the shop for +70 days for an alignment.

Here is the conundrum: Do I keep my word, give them a completely satisfied and move on? Because I feel like that was the deal a long time ago and they fucked up a lot more. I'm not even that mad about the time (although I missed quite a few track days I'm paying $500/mo for). I'm REALLY pissed about being lied to about the oil change and diff fluid. That easily could have been my warranty claim out the window. GM is following up with me tomorrow.

Last edited by village idiot; 12-11-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

It's easy for me: they lied, repeatedly it seems, so no, I'm not tied to the agreement to give them a good review.

However, if it had been me, I wouldn't have been nearly as patient as you, and would have escalated this within the dealership management many weeks ago. Months ago.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

An alignment & tire balancing should have been completed the day you made the appointment. Why did you let it sit there 2 weeks for a simple job?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Default last chevy

Originally Posted by yeller z06
It's easy for me: they lied, repeatedly it seems, so no, I'm not tied to the agreement to give them a good review.

However, if it had been me, I wouldn't have been nearly as patient as you, and would have escalated this within the dealership management many weeks ago. Months ago.
The last time i had work completed at a dealer they said my wife gave permission for $500.00 of extra work and if i did not pay they would keep the car! So i went home pick up my second set of keys and drove the car off the lot and home in front of the service manager. Never paid a dime. I would give that dealer ship a minus ten! They should not be in business those idiots. Lets drive out these in competent dealers
Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
An alignment & tire balancing should have been completed the day you made the appointment. Why did you let it sit there 2 weeks for a simple job?
I thought the same thing- they said this is how long it takes because they're backed up or some such ****. They were the only ones with a caster adjustment tool in town so I didn't have a choice.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:23 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Here is my conundrum - that you are EVEN ASKING this question:

"Do I keep my word, give them a completely satisfied and move on?"

You have to be kidding? It's hard not to be really hard on you for this one. They are treating you like you are a complete idiot, and you are letting them, over and over again. How can you ask this question?

Why aren't you asking whether or not you should grab your local newspaper, and have a chat with them "on the record" about their dealership. Why do you even take your car there a second time, after the first?

I guess we all have to ask ourselves in life, if we'll let ourselves be tromped on, or not...

Last edited by harmonyp; 12-11-2017 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (12-14-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by harmonyp
Here is my conundrum - that you are EVEN ASKING this question:

"Do I keep my word, give them a completely satisfied and move on?"

You have to be kidding? It's hard not to be really hard on you for this one. They are treating you like you are a complete idiot, and you are letting them, over and over again. How can you ask this question?

Why aren't you asking whether or not you should grab your local newspaper, and have a chat with them "on the record" about their dealership. Why do you even take your car there a second time, after the first?

I guess we all have to ask ourselves in life, if we'll let ourselves be tromped on, or not...
this was the first time I brought my car there
Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
They were the only ones with a caster adjustment tool in town so I didn't have a choice.
Sounds like you enjoy tracking your GS, so I'd expect another alignment or two is in your future.

Since these dipsh*ts are the only game in town, you better find a new town to get your alignment done after you give them a negative rating. From the incompetence you're describing I wouldn't trust those knuckleheads to put hubcaps on correctly.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
this was the first time I brought my car there
And last.
For blood pressure's sake IF car's back in working order, in your shoes I'd suck it up and never ever darken their doors again.
Moreover, a frank discussion w/ friends/colleagues/acquaintances and even strangers would be held re this dealer + reasons why.

Dealer broke their agreement when they deceived. Period.
Let your conscious be your guide re survey, but as far as any future business/referrals go? Forgetaboutit.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Oh, HELL NO. This is not even a debate, discussion or dilemma.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:17 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Assuming you get the car back, and it's in one piece with four wheels that match, I'd be happy, plan to never, ever, return to that dealer, and then delete and/or throw the survey in the trashcan when it arrived. No way I'd give them passing marks after all that. Good Riddance!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:17 AM
60grit
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Who is the dealer?
And where are they located
So we can stay as far away as possible!!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 AM
NickG-Z06
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Them fixing the wheel has nothing to do with a satisfied answer on their survey. What's right is right, and you should be telling gm the entire story
Old 12-11-2017, 10:19 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Not turning in the survey is like giving them a "pass", that should not be done.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Blue666's
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 123 Posts

If you give them a 'pass' or just don't return their evaluation, you're setting up another customer to be treated the same way you were. You want to do that to a fellow Corvette owner?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:23 PM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

Tell GM the truth, everything.. Really.. Find another dealership to service your car..
Old 12-11-2017, 01:20 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Threads like this make me wonder just how GM monitors their dealers. I guess not very well. The Service Manager and the tech who was assigned your car should both be terminated. What a complete mess!

Get notified of new replies

To How would you handle this dealership situation?

Old 12-11-2017, 02:11 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Total incompetence. Now that GM is involved, any good will you could bring their way will not make a difference. That's if GM decides to really give a crap anyway.

They didn't keep their word so no reason to keep yours at this point. Surely there must be a private shop able to do the alignment work no? Maybe I missed that in skimming the post.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Dayum VI, I give you props as I would be livid. I would fill out the survey, and tell the whole story. The story where they got you to the point of giving them a "satisfied" on the survey, and then onto their really stupid chit. But, after reading your story it's hard to pin point the exact time they went stupid. They did so much stupid stuff it's just hard to figure out where to start. One thing for sure brother, they do not need a pass on this one. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:50 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

If all this wasn't so tragic, it would be funny. I presume that they only had 3 Corvettes pass through their dealership in the past several years. A couple of Z06s, one with black and one with chrome wheels, and a Z51 that is in the showroom that they think is a Z06. Is the dealership named after Bart Simpson?

Quick Reply: How would you handle this dealership situation?