C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone live near Fountain Hills, AZ or Scottsdale?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:21 PM
laurieonthego
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone live near Fountain Hills, AZ or Scottsdale?

Hi Fellow Corvette Peeps!

I am hoping that someone that lives in Arizona is near me...I would love to pay someone to come and help me get this bloody oil pan back on my '74 BB M21--I have exhausted all my energy and am at a loss for what the "hang-up" is. I have tried every single trick in the book! I know it's the right oil pump for my 454...I know it is installed correctly and that the windage tray and oil pan are correct. I'm trying to replace my oil pan seal with a one piece Felpro and have been just been soooo frustrated.... ugh!!!! I have purchased 3 different oil pumps (all the same--correct part numbers for the car). I think I'm the idiot! Anyone out there that can help me get this puppy on, once and for all?????

Please let me know! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!! Sincerely, Laurie, RN
Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by laurieonthego

I am hoping that someone that lives in Arizona is near me...I would love to pay someone to come and help me get this bloody oil pan back on my '74 BB M21--I have exhausted all my energy and am at a loss for what the "hang-up" is. I have tried every single trick in the book! I know it's the right oil pump for my 454...I know it is installed correctly and that the windage tray and oil pan are correct. I'm trying to replace my oil pan seal with a one piece Felpro and have been just been soooo frustrated.... ugh!!!! I have purchased 3 different oil pumps (all the same--correct part numbers for the car). I think I'm the idiot! Anyone out there that can help me get this puppy on, once and for all?????

Please let me know! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!! Sincerely, Laurie, RN

What is the problem you're having? Is the "U" shaped baffle in the bottom of the oil pan hanging up on the oil pump pick up? If so the oil pan has to be slightly ahead of where it would normally be then lifted and twisted a little bit then moved back for it to slide into place. I just installed a new M-77 Mellings oil pump in my 454" and had the same problem. Oh yeah, and the front crankshaft counterweights need to be positioned facing UP because if they're hanging DOWN they will really cause problems. You can easily rotate the crankshaft by snapping a big pair of Vice Grips onto the flywheel or flex plate then giving them a good hard tug.

Last edited by NeverTooOld; 12-11-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

I live fairly close...in Gilbert, what is the real issue? Is the motor out of the car? If so, give Kelley a call at WFO Racing and Machine in Phx and explain the issue, tell him Top Secret told you to call, he will know who you are talking about.
The following users liked this post:
laurieonthego (12-15-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Kelly called me today about your motor issue. Hope he helped you out. He is really good and does all the motors for Cordes Performance, a premier shop for LS motors and mods in the valley. Good luck.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 12-13-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM
laurieonthego
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I live fairly close...in Gilbert, what is the real issue? Is the motor out of the car? If so, give Kelley a call at WFO Racing and Machine in Phx and explain the issue, tell him Top Secret told you to call, he will know who you are talking about.
Thanks so much, Buccaneer!!! Yes, I got a hold of Kelley and we are just too far for him--he's really busy right now. He was very nice. I sincerely appreciate your help. On that note, I did find a 40 year mechanic in Phoenix that is willing to come to Fountain Hills. His name is Tony, loves old C3 Vettes (especially '74!) been working on BB and racing for years. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend! Thanks again, Top Secret
Old 12-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Thanks so much, Buccaneer!!! Yes, I got a hold of Kelley and we are just too far for him--he's really busy right now. He was very nice. I sincerely appreciate your help. On that note, I did find a 40 year mechanic in Phoenix that is willing to come to Fountain Hills. His name is Tony, loves old C3 Vettes (especially '74!) been working on BB and racing for years. I'll let you know how it goes this weekend! Thanks again, Top Secret
Top Secret
No problem. Kelley is pretty busy and spent this last weekend at PIR with one of the race teams there helping out. Hope you get it fixed.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 12-15-2017 at 05:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone live near Fountain Hills, AZ or Scottsdale?

Quick Reply: Anyone live near Fountain Hills, AZ or Scottsdale?