Sponsored by:

Coming from Mustangs, debating new vs used

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:06 PM
R00st
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming from Mustangs, debating new vs used

I had a 12 mustang gt that blew two transmissions under warranty, which left me questioning the cars reliability. I traded for a 15 gt auto which I loved but despised the auto. I have since traded for a truck and am on the hunt for my next sporty car.

I was really set on a c6 GS but can't get over the crap interior. A few months back, for fun, I priced out used c7's to find that some were dipping below the 40k threshold which was shocking. My budget for a c6 GS was 35k but I have since decided I will regret not moving into a c7. So, I have been checking prices about once a week, trying to figure out what I want.

I would like to stay around 40k. A friend mentioned they had a co-worker buy a c7 as part of the 20% off deal Chevy was advertising. I looked and did in fact find a few brand new c7's for low 40's.

Would you all rather have a low miles used c7 with more options or a base c7 with zero miles? Part of my desire for a used car, 2014 in particular is because I am fascinated with lime rock green. My searches show that most of the available cars are auto, unfortunately. That said, I don't mind white/Gray or blue on the c7. Any guidance or suggestions is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:21 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

I would rather have a low miles used C7 with the extra options personally. Have you discovered the C7 for sale section on this forum? I'd start shopping there to get a feel for what you can pickup for a given price.
The following users liked this post:
LbulletM (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:25 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by R00st
I had a 12 mustang gt that blew two transmissions under warranty, which left me questioning the cars reliability. I traded for a 15 gt auto which I loved but despised the auto. I have since traded for a truck and am on the hunt for my next sporty car.

I was really set on a c6 GS but can't get over the crap interior. A few months back, for fun, I priced out used c7's to find that some were dipping below the 40k threshold which was shocking. My budget for a c6 GS was 35k but I have since decided I will regret not moving into a c7. So, I have been checking prices about once a week, trying to figure out what I want.

I would like to stay around 40k. A friend mentioned they had a co-worker buy a c7 as part of the 20% off deal Chevy was advertising. I looked and did in fact find a few brand new c7's for low 40's.

Would you all rather have a low miles used c7 with more options or a base c7 with zero miles? Part of my desire for a used car, 2014 in particular is because I am fascinated with lime rock green. My searches show that most of the available cars are auto, unfortunately. That said, I don't mind white/Gray or blue on the c7. Any guidance or suggestions is appreciated.
If you settle on a used C7, remember many of them were rode hard and put away wet. Also, if the car was tuned for more performance, that will be in the ECM which will void the GM engine warranty. Read this lengthy thread that one CF member encountered. Good luck in your search. I went new over used but my budget was higher than yours.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...won-t-fix.html
Red C8 of Jax (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

I knew the owner of my 2004 and 2005. He got one every year. He was an accountant. When his customers saw the Corvette they said he was making too much money so he bought a TAHOE. I traded the '05 on a new 2010. Unless I knew the car I wouldn't buy a used ANYTHING
Old 12-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

I was in your shoes last month. Only you can really answer that question. It depends what is most important to you. Can you live without options like heated / cooled seats, HUD, and Mag ride? Or are you the kind of person who needs those things? If you like features, with some searching, you’ll be able to find a car with everything you want in your budget if you don’t mind buying used.

I had had a choice between a 3LT Z51 fully loaded 2014 or a new 1LT Z51 2017. After tax and extended warranty was thrown in, the 2014 cost the same as the new Vette. To me, being the first to own the car was more appealing than having a few creature comforts that I would end up having to fix later on down the road. I am very happy with my new Corvette and don’t miss any of the extraneous bells and whistles on the used car. (But this is me)
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I've had a 92 Gt as well as a 91 and 2002 Saleen. All great cars for their time. Good luck with whatever C7 you choose. It's a fantastic car.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:40 AM
Martman C7
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

I was also a M6G owner. I was shopping for a used car via Carmax, but everything I liked was in the southern part of the us and would've cost about $1K to transfer to Reno. Labor day rolled around and I found a great new 2018 1LT Stingray that my local Chevy gave me a great deal on. Note here: I wish I had known that the current sales would be happening because I could have saved even more. No crystal ball, so what you gonna do!

Anyway, really glad I got the new one because I know that it's been taken care of since day one.

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your decision.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Dec 26th>31st are great days to buy and Jan car sales are usually low so end of the month deals can be awesome...
Red C8 of Jax (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:27 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

One thing to consider also is that even a base C7 Corvette is going to perform far above a Mustang. That 5.0 is an excellent engine, but it doesn't even begin to make the torque that the LT1 makes. Whether you buy new or used, auto or manual, you are going to be really impressed with a C7.

Since you are getting out of Mustangs because of transmission woes, you may want to give the A8 in the new C7's a wide berth. Not all of them have problems, but some do. I believe the 2014 / 2015 models came with a 6 speed automatic transmission that did not have problems. The M7 from any year is very reliable and easy to drive with the active rev match feature.

BTW, I too think the lime rock green is a very nice color. I guess it's their current version of "British Racing Green". I also liked the Laguna blue that you could get through 2016. I ended up buying a red car. Red always pulls me in with sports cars.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:13 AM
dbintegrity
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

"One thing to consider also is that even a base C7 Corvette is going to perform far above a Mustang. That 5.0 is an excellent engine, but it doesn't even begin to make the torque that the LT1 makes. Whether you buy new or used, auto or manual, you are going to be really impressed with a C7. "

I am also a recovering Mustang addict.... After a 7year hiatus from Ford due to transmission issues with my work vehicles, I finally decided to forgive them and move toward the purchase of a new Mustang GT... I had so many problems with that car including having to replace one head at 1000 miles ... I was just pushed to the limits.
I walked into my local Chevy dealer looking to make a possible switch to a Camaro and they had a Corvette for 25% off... took it for a drive and it was NOTHING like the Stang.... I bought it on the spot...
I loved it so much I traded up to a GS 5 months later and NEVER looked back..
Old 12-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I've always been a fan of buying slightly used. I purchased my C7 new as used prices weren't very competitive when I purchased and I thought I'd experience a new car for once in my life.

As noted above, if you look at used, be sure it hasn't been tuned. Or if it has, price that into the offer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxpowers:
Skid Row Joe (12-12-2017), SyberSaint (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:34 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I had to go new, to get what I wanted in how it was equipped.

I did not want to take a chance on how the car was possibly mistreated, or potentially tuned by its 1st owner. Besides the discounts available for new off MSRP, was attractive enough to me to spring for new.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:42 AM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Coming to the party a bit late to get a new '17. Prices are good but not much selection. If you wait until the '19s come out next spring, there should be some sales on the '18s however the 18MY was a short run.

If you go used, be careful. 14s won't have much/any warranty left, however for the right deal, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a used 14 or 15. Deals are out there, just need to spend some time searching and be ready to pounce when you see the right one
Old 12-12-2017, 09:25 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I always buy new. No way am I going to spend over 40k for a used car. No idea how it was maintained, no idea how it was driven, no idea why they got rid of it, and the list goes on.
I have heard all the arguments about the hit you take on depreciation on a new car but really do not care because I get what I want and it is not like the used car is going up in value.
Skid Row Joe (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Sinse this is your first Corvette, go with a new one. You may not get all the options you want, but in my case I studied and studied what I should get for options on my first and thought I nailed it. But after driving mine for two years now I have a lot of should have got this, should have got that kind of stuff running through my head now. You just have to get your first one and learn what you want and need. Some of what you want are no brainers, but as you experience your first one you learn what you should have got, or not got. If you look at my signature below you see what I bought. Great car and I love it. But after driving it for two years now I know I should of got a Z06 with a manual and an 2LT package! Big difference.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:06 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I've always gone with the perspective - get exactly what I want - all the options, the color, everything, then shop it, new and used, and get the best price I can.

I'm a 3LT person - I love every extra goodie, extra leather, alcantara headliner, so many things that people poo-poo, that to me, make the car. I get a kick out of the - rather have a 1LT new than a 2LT or 3LT used. 10 minutes after driving your new car, it's used!

People that buy and beat the crap out of these cars are pretty few and far between. Lots are garage queens, and have the heck pampered out of them, then are traded in for a "better" model - like base or Z51's traded for GS's or Z06's. Low mileage base or Z51 - probably the best used cars out there.

If you want a specific, one year only color - go for it. It may take some time as not that many were sold, but eventually you'll find one.

Last edited by harmonyp; 12-12-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:55 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Plenty of garage queens you can find out there, a used C7 is a hell of a deal.

Get notified of new replies

To Coming from Mustangs, debating new vs used

Old 12-12-2017, 11:15 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
I've always gone with the perspective - get exactly what I want - all the options, the color, everything, then shop it, new and used, and get the best price I can.

I'm a 3LT person - I love every extra goodie, extra leather, alcantara headliner, so many things that people poo-poo, that to me, make the car. I get a kick out of the - rather have a 1LT new than a 2LT or 3LT used. 10 minutes after driving your new car, it's used!

People that buy and beat the crap out of these cars are pretty few and far between. Lots are garage queens, and have the heck pampered out of them, then are traded in for a "better" model - like base or Z51's traded for GS's or Z06's. Low mileage base or Z51 - probably the best used cars out there.

If you want a specific, one year only color - go for it. It may take some time as not that many were sold, but eventually you'll find one.

I’m also a 3LT person all the way. Not that there is anything wrong with the 1LT/2LT packages and add ons, just different priorities and budgets exist for us various vette junkies. Since you want to spend around 40 grand, unless you kinda want all the bells and whistles, a new base C7 taking advantage of the great discounts out there now, seems like a great way to enjoy your first vette. The base car is a lot of fun and as time goes by, you’ll start to figure out what you want in your next vette.

Now if you want to spend around 40 grand, but you really want all the bells and whistles in a well cared for/ non abused garage queen, they are out there. I bought a 2014 Loaded 6500 mile 3LT Z51/mag ride A6 Stingray coupe just the way I would have ordered one, about a year ago for $46,000. I now have just over 12000 miles on it and it has run perfectly the whole time. The previous owner was an old guy just like me. Most old guys are not out tearing up cars, like some of us did when were kids.

Right now the Stingray I bought for 46 thousand, is probably worth around 42 or so and if I was ready to sell, would be a great deal for someone like you as I put an extended 5 yr/60000 mile No Deductible GMEPP service contract ( basically a warrantee) on it BEFORE the 3/36 warrantee ran out and for $75.00 is transferable to a new buyer. In addition the OEM power train warranty still has 1 1/2 years to run as well. These are all considerations one should think about if you buy used.

So to be on the safe and easy side, a new low option Stingray takes all the guess work out of your first Stingray purchase UNLESS you have a helpful well versed vette junkie guide by your side to help you not get stung going the used route. Good luck, you’re gonna love the Stingray.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:19 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I was all set to buy new (this was back in Feb) but found some great used deals on less than 1 year old cars with under 3K miles and had the warranty. Even when comparing to the big discount dealers like Kerbeck and MacMuklin I saved an extra 6% off MSRP. Gotta do your homework and negotiate. I bought mine in the Northeast in Feb with snow on the ground and the car had been sitting for several months.

That said it's all about timing, color, options, etc. Sometimes you have to buy new if you have specific options or color you want and used market does not have it for a good price.

And yes when you buy used you need to do your homework. Have the car thoroughly inspected, make sure you know if it has been modified and status of warranty. Make sure you have all service records and inspect for any repairs/etc that were never documented.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harmonyp
10 minutes after driving your new car, it's used!
Yeah, but there is something about that new car smell and driving it off the lot knowing that you were the first!

Last edited by Billy346; 12-12-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Coming from Mustangs, debating new vs used