C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starting Restoration on the '63

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 01:12 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Default Starting Restoration on the '63

Well, it looks like I'm getting started on the '63.

May do this one a little differently.

I'm trying to clean up the items as I take them off. Then I'll store them accordingly, until I need the items for assembly.

A few pics of the glovebox I did today. I still need to polish out the center of the door.

And final masking of the grill, so I can bead blast the mounts.

Last edited by ptjsk; 12-12-2017 at 01:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
carl3989 (01-08-2023)

Popular Reply

03-24-2024, 12:54 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

These guys (twin Grandsons), are my up and coming help! They're going to learn how to help Grandpa out on the next build! Especially so when getting under the dash!

They just turned 11 years old! The one on the left (green shirt) already knows a lot of information on the old Corvettes and helps me when.he can.

Pat

Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't know what VIN you have (or if you care) but the later 63s inside glove box doors (the piece with the two lame cup holders) is natural, not painted. You can't feel the raised "Corvette Sting Ray" logo on an original door front...its inside the plastic coating (if so DON'T polish) - but again, you may be happy with the door you have.

I also assume you know to use the glove box reinforcing rod added later in the model year to prevent cracks....

The ONE mod I make to factory wiring is to put a bullet connector in the orange wire to the glove box light - its ALWAYS hot and disconnecting it from the light socket means disassembling that finicky socket to remove the glove box. Then you have that bare power lead dangling about. This mod makes removing the glove box later on a breeze.

The male end of the connector should go on the glove box side (the insulated female end on the power source side)..otherwise you need to tape off that connector temporarily while working on other things on the car that require power.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-12-2017 at 05:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
bigearl56 (12-12-2017), GUSTO14 (12-12-2017), ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 06:01 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Plus FWIW, the ground path for that glove box light is through the lower support bracket that's bolted to the cross brace. prior to that (early 63) there was a small hole in the cross brace and a short ground wire from brace to glove box frame.

Maybe someone will post a picture of the wire,

I think your parts are going to turn out great.
ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Looking forward to following your build, Pat.

I can't imagine that it would turn out any less stunning than your '62.
ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:25 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Check heater core while your at it
Old 12-12-2017, 09:32 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't know what VIN you have (or if you care) but the later 63s inside glove box doors (the piece with the two lame cup holders) is natural, not painted. You can't feel the raised "Corvette Sting Ray" logo on an original door front...its inside the plastic coating (if so DON'T polish) - but again, you may be happy with the door you have.

I also assume you know to use the glove box reinforcing rod added later in the model year to prevent cracks....

The ONE mod I make to factory wiring is to put a bullet connector in the orange wire to the glove box light - its ALWAYS hot and disconnecting it from the light socket means disassembling that finicky socket to remove the glove box. Then you have that bare power lead dangling about. This mod makes removing the glove box later on a breeze.

The male end of the connector should go on the glove box side (the insulated female end on the power source side)..otherwise you need to tape off that connector temporarily while working on other things on the car that require power.

Hey Frankie,

I probably used the wrong terminology when I said "polish", as I'm just attempting to clean it up. I don't wish to polish it out.

Also, thanks a lot for the heads up on the wiring issue. I'm looking forward to soliciting your expertise and advise on several items as I work on the '63.

The VIN does make this an early car (November '62).

I'm still disappointed that the horns don't appear to be correct!!! I still can't imagine why someone would take out the horns and replace them with other delco horns. Especially, several decades ago as the car has been sitting since '93/'94.

But with a car that's closing in on 55 years old, I'm sure there's a lot of history there that may never be understood! LOL!

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 12-12-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rtruman
Check heater core while your at it
Yea, it's all coming out. I'm just slowly pulling it apart right now. On many of the items, I'm going to go ahead and clean them up, wrap them in bubble wrap and store them until I get ready to assemble the car again.

My wish is to get it completely pulled apart, and restore the chassis over the winter.

Pat
Old 12-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Andy Cannizzo can make you a set of date-coded 63 one-year-only horns (no cores required)...you'll have to dig pretty deep in your wallet (ugh!). If you find a set of cores then Andy or Joe Perri can make them like new.

Lots of reasons horns got swapped out (crash damage - ask me how I know), they just plain quit working.....or somebody R&R'ed them and installed them incorrectly with the trumpet openings facing skyward collecting water like rain barrels so they eventually failed. The AIM is a bit fanciful showing how they are mounted...when you get to the job I can post pictures of how to do it...
Old 12-12-2017, 01:32 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Speaking of Andy, please consider having him restore your center console pieces. When he is finished with them they are a work of art. Plus he is the only one that does these.
Thumbs up for Joe Perri, he restored one of my original horns and sold me a matching one as I had one missing. Keep us informed.
Rene
ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Andy is making noise about retiring any time now. If ANYbody needs ANYthimg done by him I wouldn’t play around.
ptjsk (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 02:21 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

I don't know what VIN you have (or if you care) but the later 63s inside glove box doors (the piece with the two lame cup holders) is natural, not painted.
Frankie, that inside of the door looks great!

Did you strip the paint from one of the repro doors?
Old 12-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ptjsk

I'm still disappointed that the horns don't appear to be correct!!! I still can't imagine why someone would take out the horns and replace them with other delco horns. Especially, several decades ago as the car has been sitting since '93/'94.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I, like most others on the forum, am excited and anxious to follow your restoration. No doubt it will be another "stellar Pat restoration", just like anything you touch.

I have several original horns and if you tell me which numbers you need I will check to see if I can help you out. Don't get your hopes up, but IF I do have some, all I need is your mailing address and they will be heading your way.

Good luck with everything.

Rex
Old 12-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 426 Hemi
Frankie, that inside of the door looks great!

Did you strip the paint from one of the repro doors?
No sir!

I found an original 63 door back, stripped the paint off of that item and glued my original front onto it...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-12-2017 at 02:57 PM.
426 Hemi (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

No sir!

I found an original 63 door back, stripped the paint off of that item and glued my original front onto it...
what glue did you use?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:27 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dr L-88
Hi Pat,

I, like most others on the forum, am excited and anxious to follow your restoration. No doubt it will be another "stellar Pat restoration", just like anything you touch.

I have several original horns and if you tell me which numbers you need I will check to see if I can help you out. Don't get your hopes up, but IF I do have some, all I need is your mailing address and they will be heading your way.

Good luck with everything.

Rex
Thanks for the kinds comments Rex!

I'm pretty sure the numbers on the horns are 455 & 456.

It looks like these are pretty valuable when and if you do have them. Hopefully you do have a set and we can definitely work out a price for them.

Best wishes to you and the Mrs for a very Merry Christmas. I know the time is valuable to the both of you.

Take care,

Pat
Old 12-12-2017, 03:36 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

No sir!

Also, it looks like the way the "rod stops" are attached to the back of the door differ a little bit from the earlier ones as well.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:30 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Also, it looks like the way the "rod stops" are attached to the back of the door differ a little bit from the earlier ones as well.
My 63 is a second week November build and the door back looks like the picture Frank posted. It seems as if someone changed the door back plus added the lower support shown in the first post. Is the cross brace just a drilled hole where the support bolts up. Frank's pictures may show a welded nut attached to the cross brace for the support bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Restoration on the '63

Old 12-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Are you going bone stock Pat?....or a little sneaky stuff under the hood.....nudge nudge wink wink....
Chalie M (08-31-2020)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by OC-1
what glue did you use?
I used some two part epoxy (forget exactly what type) SPARINGLY...it doesn't take much. The picture below shows how little there was on the original door when I separated the front..
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Andy Cannizzo can make you a set of date-coded 63 one-year-only horns (no cores required)...you'll have to dig pretty deep in your wallet (ugh!). If you find a set of cores then Andy or Joe Perri can make them like new.

Lots of reasons horns got swapped out (crash damage - ask me how I know), they just plain quit working.....or somebody R&R'ed them and installed them incorrectly with the trumpet openings facing skyward collecting water like rain barrels so they eventually failed. The AIM is a bit fanciful showing how they are mounted...when you get to the job I can post pictures of how to do it...
1963 Buick Rivera horns look identical to Corvette ones expect for the numbers. I think they sound the same and cost alot less $$$$$ I paid 50 bucks for working ones.
ptjsk (12-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Starting Restoration on the '63