C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Experience with TuneTime Performance

Old 12-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Z06-HEC*
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Bad Experience with TuneTime Performance

While living in New York it was pretty difficult to find a nearby shop that was experienced in corvettes and convenient to get to. I found myself traveling too far to try out shops all over. If I had the time I just really would prefer to work on my own car. There are just so many bad experiences with trusting shops out there and so much money thrown away.

Anyway, One of the shops I somewhat trusted on occasion was TuneTime performance in New Jersey. After getting my heads done, cam installed, intake ported, exhaust, tune, etc... at another shop down in Delaware I wasn't happy with the Tune. I looked around and saw tunetime and it looked like it was a good reputable shop so I visited them to re-tune my car. They charged me $275 for the tune and a shakedown fee which they actually did adjust some things in the car. Anyway I was happy with the Tune and the guys at the shop really paid good attention to the car and communicated great with me. It felt like a good place.

Fast forward to a few years later and I was looking to get some nitrous installed in the car. I tried to make an appointment with them but they were booked for 2 months out so I ended up going back to Delaware to get the kit installed. I did not have a Nitrous controller put in, but I had an HP tuners kit so that I can change the tune back and forth myself whenever at events.
A little after that I purchased a Lingenfelter 2 step from one of the members here on the site. I called up tunetime and made an appointment for a day that I would stay and get the job done in the same day, rather than leave it for a few days because the drive is 2.5 hours out and I couldn't get a ride back home. Anyway the plans changed and I took a trip down to GA to look at a new home we were purchasing. On my way down instead of waiting for the car I dropped it off on the same day set for the appointment. They rather I left the car for a few days anyway since they were busy, ok... Once there i asked their opinion on a Nitrous controller instead of me flashing back and forth from N/A to Nos tune. They immediately said, yeah we are a Lingenfelter dealer/installer so instead of the 2 step you brought we can put in the Nitrous controller which has the 2 step function built in. Ok fine lets do that.

So that was the plan..... install the nitrous controller with 2 step function, tune the car for the nitrous and have the controller go back and forth from N/A to Nos when needed. I come back from GA 1 week later and check in, to see if I can just stop by and drive the car home while i have a ride, (drove to GA and back with family car), but the car wasn't ready. Ok no biggie. Check a week later, still not done. Checked a few times here and there and nothing...
30 days after dropping the car off it STILL was not done, meanwhile their IG page and FB page is throwing up pictures daily of the cars they are turning out... Cars coming in and going out in a few days, but not mine...
I understand a busy shop, and/or cars that are being built and had appointments but lets not forget I also made an appointment and waited 3 weeks for that appointment, AND its already 30+days after that appointment date. Never mind the fact this is the summer months, and I've missed 2 big race events at Pocono raceway and multiple big car meets/shows.

Finally I had enough, call up and tell them i need my Car tomorrow...
They call me back later that day and tell me, ok we have people working on it and we will do our best to get it ready for tomorrow. I told them, look i dont want you to rush anything so I can give it till Saturday (3 more days) but I 100% need it Saturday, because I sold my house and am out of here officially.

Saturday comes and I go to get the car. first the bill shows $700 for tuning N/A and Tuning Spray... So I question why, you already tuned my car for N/A and you confirmed it was saved in your system so why would i get charged again for it. So he goes and speaks to the Manager and they change the price to about $400 or so.

Anyway on to the car... I get the walk around and they show me the lingenfelter installed and tell me how it works as far as using the nitrous. So i ask, ok how does the 2 step function work. He responds oh, uhm, let me go ask. Comes back and tells me, so if you read the instructions it tells you on the manual, and prints me a copy of the manual (ton of pages). Uhm, ok... I guess ill go home and read how to use the 2 step.

As you could imagine I literally have closed on my house and was in the middle of moving out, so no reading. The move took a few weeks and the car sat in my brothers garage for 2 months while i got the new house ready and setup a transport from NY to GA.

Its been a few months and within that time I received at least 2 calls from Tunetime telling me hey whenever you get a chance come back through so we can look at that 2 step and make sure the car is in order. We can show you how to use it etc... I told them I appreciate that but I am not sure when I will be back in NY and im working on getting the car down to GA. Sure come by whenever if you are ever here...

Im down in GA now, and I've read how to use the 2 step, adjusted the RPM settings i want to test with and nothing. So I write to Tunetime and let them know, hey this is not working or I am doing something wrong... So the president responds and tells me let me check on this and get back to you shortly. 3 days go by and no answer so I start looking for a shop down here and find a reputable shop less than 5 miles from me. I drop the car off and ask them to look at the 2 step while they address something else. They check it out and tell me, its not even wired up for the 2 step function just the Nos function. It needs the relay, wiring etc...

So I write to Tunetime again, and let them know, Hey I had my car checked out for some other things and this new shop is telling me this lingenfelter box is not even set up for the 2 step. I tell them, this is the main reason i brought the car for you, waited 3 weeks for the appointment, another 34 days for the car and this was not even done... What do you propose on how to fix this?
I get a response from the service manager, where he forwarded an email from the partner(boss) of the shop, telling me that I brought the car in for the nitrous controller and they did what they were asked basically. (basically they were telling me i did not bring the car for the 2 step and that was an additional request). No apology, no offer to help, and just basically a defensive email passing the blame back to me.

Really? thats how you are handling this?

So i respond, It feels like you are telling me that I did NOT bring the car for the 2 step at all... So why did I hand over a 2 step to your techs, which they handed back to me when i picked up the car?
I went there for the 2 step, got upsold for the full Nitrous controller (which i was ok with, had it been done correctly) and in the end, left with the 2 step i brought in 34 days ago. When i asked your tech about the 2 step function, not only did he test it with me, but he printed a book and told me go read on how to use it. I see how this shop does business and clearly will not be coming back or referring anyone in the NY/NJ area back there (which i have referred cars here in the past).

There are other issues with my car now that have come up. I inquired about them and they said that could have happen at any point since the car left here including during transport. I am ok with that and am not blaming them for it, but I did ask them if they even did an inspection of the car since I got charged with one. Never mind that, my issue is mainly: I brought the car in for 1 thing, got upsold waited almost 2 months in total and did not even get what I went in for and got charged a ton for an "upscale professional" shop but got crap service. Then when I complained and gave them the opportunity to fix or offer anything, they passed the buck and basically told me flip off....

My first time using them I thought, ok this place is way more expensive than other places, but at least it seems like they pay attention and get the job done.
This time was totally different, Yes very expensive compared to other Vette shops, but clearly do not always pay attention, or even care for the customer or the car they are working on. I left a lot of the other complaints out because there was some months passed since I picked up the car and maybe they are right, "it couldve happen at any point since you picked up the car, even transport", but still I waited 3 weeks for an appointment plus another 34 days to get the car back and what I brought it in for was NEVER done and I was charged for a bunch of other things.

Be careful bringing your car here! Stay in constant communication with them if you are leaving your car for an extended period of time and make sure your car isn't just sitting outside in front of their shop just for pictures !

Last edited by Z06-HEC*; 12-15-2017 at 06:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

I feel your pain Brother, I've been in similar situations. I have no tolerance for incompetence or mismanagement, especially when you agree to a price and service.
Z06-HEC* (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 01:25 PM
Z06-HEC*
Racer

Originally Posted by Cockroach
I feel your pain Brother, I've been in similar situations. I have no tolerance for incompetence or mismanagement, especially when you agree to a price and service.
Exactly!

I mean I was even ok being upsold, as long as what I went in for was taken care of... And that was their response. Telling me I came for something else. So why did i bring you the 2 step?
Just a really bad experience !
Be careful out there with these shops!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

Jackasses jerking around someone conducting a major move w/ all that entails, family/movers/bankers/school(s)/ job?
Nice guys, even nicer closing memories.
Been there done that, stress level hits tilt, best thing about it is when its over.

Move-on, dwelling can land a sane man in the Oshkosh Nuthouse.
Be thankful your car's back in good hands knowing their door will never see your shadow or $, again.
Z06-HEC* (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

1. Paragraphs make it easier to read.

2. There is a Transactions Feedback Forum if you think others here might use that vendor.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-feedback-153/
Old 12-14-2017, 06:03 PM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Your not the 1st with complaints about Tunetime... ive got a few friends who said they charge alot and take forever.
Z06-HEC* (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Post the review on their facebook page. Its obviously where it will have the biggest impact.

Post it on your page with them tagged on it, post it on comments of their page.

Thats the only way they'll shape up.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Where are u in Georgia ? We have two of the best in Vengence and LSX ....

Last edited by Dcasole; 12-14-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Z06-HEC*
Racer

@ahrmike I took down my Facebook a while back so I cant use that option for now. I did post on Yelp but i had to cut it down by a lot as they have a character limit.
@Dcasole I'm right on bethleview, 5 mins from Vengance. They are the ones who showed me nothing was even wired for the 2 step. Thanks !
@Z06Qazi Yeah, they are very expensive!
@VetteDD the feedback forum gets little traffic. I wanted people to see this! Posted here and the Northeast section.
Dcasole (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Are they a vendor here? if so, you just got C6's attention. don't know if it's allowed by the moderators, or how to word it properly, but you may want to post on C7 gen, too. If it were me, I'd do something very generic about a tuner, maybe a url to your thread in Transactions. Lotta people got cars up in NJ/NY area.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06-HEC*
@Dcasole I'm right on bethleview, 5 mins from Vengance. They are the ones who showed me nothing was even wired for the 2 step. Thanks !
They are the absolute BEST !!

When the track opens up in April you need to come up to Commerce with us , we go almost every week

Dave
Z06-HEC* (12-14-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:44 AM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Well it really sucks that you had such a bad experience. I'll be doing headers/intake in the Spring and will need a street tune. Was considering them, but yours is not the first bad experience I read about so I will have to find another local shop for the tune. Don't want to deal with them...
Old 12-15-2017, 03:09 PM
montman
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

What is considered "expensive"? There's a shop where I live in El Paso Texas that charges $110.00 an hour. Is that expensive or in the ballpark?
Old 12-15-2017, 04:16 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
1. Paragraphs make it easier to read.

2. There is a Transactions Feedback Forum if you think others here might use that vendor.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-feedback-153/
Yeah, that third paragraph was a doozie.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:18 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by montman
What is considered "expensive"? There's a shop where I live in El Paso Texas that charges $110.00 an hour. Is that expensive or in the ballpark?
My local family car garage charges $125/hr. here in sunny Kalifornia. The Chevy dealer gets $175.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Z06-HEC*
Racer

For anyone interested in the thread going with TuneTime here is the link...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ce-review.html
Old 12-15-2017, 06:14 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,065 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by RagTop69

My local family car garage charges $125/hr. here in sunny Kalifornia. The Chevy dealer gets $175.
When I lived in the Philippines, the automotive garages charged 300 pesos per hour labor ($6.00 USD)

3rd world country ....

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Experience with TuneTime Performance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Experience with TuneTime Performance