C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Insurance renewal time..Looking for options..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:35 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Insurance renewal time..Looking for options..

Hello

I know this has been talked about before... I'm looking to leave American Collector Insurance.

I don't want to "jump" into another crappy insurance company. I need some feedback from you guys tell me which one is the best..

Thanks
Pete

Popular Reply

12-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 631 Likes on 389 Posts

Well, I haven't seen Blk63Vette's policy, but as an adjuster for 30 years, I can say that most likely the adjuster handling his claim analyzed it incorrectly.

First, the fact that the damage is someone else's fault doesn't get the Comprehensive carrier off the hook. If a tree branch falls on your car due to wind, it's covered under Comp. If that same branch falls due to an incompetent tree trimmer, it's still covered under comp. The only difference is that the comp carrier can subrogate against the tree trimmer for the damage it pays to you.

The second issue is mechanical failure. Most comp policies don't cover mechanical failure. But the general rule in most states is that resultant damage is covered. For example, if the mechanic overtightens your lug nuts and that results in them breaking while you're driving down the road, your insurance won't pay for replacement wheel studs. But if the loss of the wheel causes an accident your Collision insurance will pay for the damage to your car.

Same here-the comp carrier won't pay for the repair of the damaged wire that caused the fire, but it should pay for the damage the fire caused to the car.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:52 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hello

I know this has been talked about before... I'm looking to leave American Collector Insurance.

I don't want to "jump" into another crappy insurance company. I need some feedback from you guys tell me which one is the best..

Thanks
Pete
So, help the others out with your crappy experience. Why is ACI crappy??

I have NCM, but don't have any claim experience to give you a recommendation other than the cost for the coverage they offer is the best I found.

If you pay $1 for coverage that is crappy, then it makes $100 for coverage that is good real cheap.
The following users liked this post:
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

At the end of the day nothing matters except whether or not the company will pay a large claim with minimal hassle against agreed upon value to properly repair your car.

Not a few dollars in premiums saved,
nor how sexy some company's ads are
nor what somebody tells you what they think is covered.

National Corvette Museum has proven to me they'll "step up" when the worst happens.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-15-2017 at 12:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
59BlueSilver (12-15-2017), Blk63Vette (12-15-2017), new vette 62 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:10 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have NCM. No claims experience, luckily, but the rates are good. I didn’t have to prove the value of my car when I signed up for their agreed value policy. They just used the price I paid for the car.

They also always offer to help pay the cost to relocate my car when a hurricane is coming this way.

NCM is a forum sponsor and Adam Boca pops in here from time-to-time to answer questions.

Steve
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:34 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

This comes up from time to time and NCM seems to get the nod. BTW: I looked into the NCM for my 67 and since we had a teenager in the house and on our policy they wouldn't touch it...no way, no how.

Good luck!
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by R66
So, help the others out with your crappy experience. Why is ACI crappy??

I have NCM, but don't have any claim experience to give you a recommendation other than the cost for the coverage they offer is the best I found.

If you pay $1 for coverage that is crappy, then it makes $100 for coverage that is good real cheap.
I wrote about this before but I had a "Corvette Expert" work on my car. He Jammed down the top ignition shielding on my car. While driving it home my cars wires caught on fire and melted the dash and engine harness. Battery clock gauge fried.

I went to the expert he refused to fix it and he was closing up shop. I had my insurance adjuster come out. He looked it over and said they wont cover a new dash harness or engine harness or gauges because it was done by mechanic and wasn't act of GOD. but, if the car would have caught on fire and burned to the ground it WOULD have been covered. WTF?

Insurance adjuster suggested that I should open up engine and dash harness and replace wires that were melted. Yeah I have time to do that. Why not splice wires together. The reason I replaced the original wiring harness because it only had 12 splices in it....

So, $2,800.00 later I fixed my car myself. Why have insurance if you cant use it?

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 12-15-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:13 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I can somewhat see ACIs point - bad work was done by a mechanic so he should be held accountable for fixing it instead of burdening the insurance pool for repairs by a bad mechanic. But sounds like you were caught in a catch-22 position if he bailed on you. I'm not sure how they should respond in a situation like that - interesting to see what others say.

I had ACI for awhile but no real claim experience with them. They don't like replica cars and wouldn't cover my ERA Cobra for anything less than a crazy amount. Went to Modern coverage through Midwest.
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I wrote about this before but I had a "Corvette Expert" work on my car. He Jammed down the top ignition shielding on my car. While driving it home my cars wires caught on fire and melted the dash and engine harness. Battery clock gauge fried.

I went to the expert he refused to fix it and he was closing up shop. I had my insurance adjuster come out. He looked it over and said they wont cover a new dash harness or engine harness or gauges because it was done by mechanic and wasn't act of GOD. but, if the car would have caught on fire and burned to the ground it WOULD have been covered. WTF?

Insurance adjuster suggested that I should open up engine and dash harness and replace wires that were melted. Yeah I have time to do that. Why not splice wires together. The reason I replaced the original wiring harness because it only had 12 splices in it....

So, $2,800.00 later I fixed my car myself. Why have insurance if you cant use it?
I had ACI for a while 8 years ago...they covered a $2,400 windshield replacement on my '61 (big job on those cars) from a thrown rock - no problem.

However, in your case of the wiring - that's EXACTLY why you want insurance IMO. Your car should be made "whole" again to its former condition, not Bubba patches.

When there are no "deep pockets" to go after for negligence you should be protected. I was hit by an uninsured driver with no assets...wasn't an issue with my claim with NCM...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-15-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:05 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,035 Posts

OUCH It appears the "Expert's Insurance" would have covered it if he admitted to causing the problem. Did you try small claims court?

We had a similar experience with Country Companies. The wife hit a grain truck that ran a stop sign. Our agent didn't want to help us and said "Go talk to their insurance agent". I expected more help as an individual fighting an Insurance Company in Illinois is pretty much like swimming the Pacific Ocean.
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Small claims court is a joke 95% of the time...it can drag on and wear you out and even if you get some lame award -- try actually collecting it.

The uninsured @holes running the roads know this and count on skating out of any expenses on their part. They know how to work the system and screw everybody else.

Like getting insurance long enough to register a car (two year registration in Florida) then cancel the insurance - get the premium back and drive all over. Florida is horrible about following up and collecting the license plates. If you have nothing and want nothing you're nearly invincible...
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 771 Likes on 432 Posts

I'd be surprised if any insurance company would have covered you in that situation. The mechanics insurance should have covered it. In any case, I'm with Haggerty. They are the only ones I found that would insure for agreed upon value AND let me drive the car to work on occasion and other "non car show related" destinations.
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Well, I haven't seen Blk63Vette's policy, but as an adjuster for 30 years, I can say that most likely the adjuster handling his claim analyzed it incorrectly.

First, the fact that the damage is someone else's fault doesn't get the Comprehensive carrier off the hook. If a tree branch falls on your car due to wind, it's covered under Comp. If that same branch falls due to an incompetent tree trimmer, it's still covered under comp. The only difference is that the comp carrier can subrogate against the tree trimmer for the damage it pays to you.

The second issue is mechanical failure. Most comp policies don't cover mechanical failure. But the general rule in most states is that resultant damage is covered. For example, if the mechanic overtightens your lug nuts and that results in them breaking while you're driving down the road, your insurance won't pay for replacement wheel studs. But if the loss of the wheel causes an accident your Collision insurance will pay for the damage to your car.

Same here-the comp carrier won't pay for the repair of the damaged wire that caused the fire, but it should pay for the damage the fire caused to the car.
The following 6 users liked this post by Duck916:
6T5RUSH (12-15-2017), Blk63Vette (12-15-2017), jimgessner (12-17-2017), Rich Yanulis (12-15-2017), SDVette (12-15-2017), solidaxel (12-17-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:29 AM
dennis6605
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm very happy with American Modern, including a fairly large claim. Approx. $26K.
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:52 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Duck916

I believe if you read the OP's version of what happened there is no real damage to the vehicle. Only things that may be covered are the Clock and the Battery gauge. But I am guessing that since they are electrical components they would not be covered either. Never ran into any thing like this in my 30+ years of adjusting.
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM
lonzoo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
At the end of the day nothing matters except whether or not the company will pay a large claim with minimal hassle against agreed upon value to properly repair your car.

Not a few dollars in premiums saved,
nor how sexy some company's ads are
nor what somebody tells you what they think is covered.

National Corvette Museum has proven to me they'll "step up" when the worst happens.
Could not agree more. Just had a claim with NCM . Called in claim on Tuesday...adjuster came to my house on Thursday...check came in mail on Monday. It don't get any better than that..thanks Adam Boca.

Last edited by lonzoo; 12-15-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Blk63Vette (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Small claims court is a joke 95% of the time...it can drag on and wear you out and even if you get some lame award -- try actually collecting it.

The uninsured @holes running the roads know this and count on skating out of any expenses on their part. They know how to work the system and screw everybody else.

Like getting insurance long enough to register a car (two year registration in Florida) then cancel the insurance - get the premium back and drive all over. Florida is horrible about following up and collecting the license plates. If you have nothing and want nothing you're nearly invincible...

This guy was going through a divorce. He had no money and it’s hard to get blood from a stone. By the time I sued him or brought him to small claims court. What would I have really achieved. I would ha e spent more time and money than what it was worth. I just chalked it up to experience. Fixed my car myself and moved on with life. There was no way I was going to put damaged wiring harness back in my car. I replaced. Everything again. You know I done it once so second time is easier Right,
Old 12-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Duck916

I was shocked when my insurance adjuster told me to replace the melted and burned wires why on earth would I put another hacked up harness in my car. My fear was that there might be a wire I miss and it actually does burn the car along with the house to the ground. To me that’s half asking something and there all ready been plenty of that done to my car. I had the click and battery gauge fixed also.

I feel American Collector insurance. Didn’t really “help me” in my time of need. I feel they are worthless first claim I had since being with them since 2004

I’m not impressed

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance renewal time..Looking for options..

Old 12-15-2017, 11:42 AM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick03
I'd be surprised if any insurance company would have covered you in that situation. The mechanics insurance should have covered it. In any case, I'm with Haggerty. They are the only ones I found that would insure for agreed upon value AND let me drive the car to work on occasion and other "non car show related" destinations.
The same reason I'm with Haggerty. I found I was driving my '67 a bit more than is usual (between 4000-5000 miles per year). I called Haggerty and asked them if they could cover that type of driving and they said "sure". The premium went up $46 per year...pretty reasonable, I thought.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 771 Likes on 432 Posts

This guy was going through a divorce. He had no money and it’s hard to get blood from a stone. By the time I sued him or brought him to small claims court. What would I have really achieved. I would ha e spent more time and money than what it was worth. I just chalked it up to experience. Fixed my car myself and moved on with life. There was no way I was going to put damaged wiring harness back in my car. I replaced. Everything again. You know I done it once so second time is easier Right,
Sounds like you did the best you could in a bad situation. Sucks it happened for sure. But on the sunny side, it sounds like you got your car fixed and you shouldn't have anymore dash wiring issues. Drive your car and enjoy it as much as you can.

Patrick
Old 12-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 66BlkBB
I believe if you read the OP's version of what happened there is no real damage to the vehicle. Only things that may be covered are the Clock and the Battery gauge. But I am guessing that since they are electrical components they would not be covered either. Never ran into any thing like this in my 30+ years of adjusting.
I interpreted his statement as that the fire melted the dash. In re-reading it, I get that he meant just the dash harness (and the engine harness). If that's the case, I would tend to agree with the adjuster's determination that it's all part of the same mechanical failure.

Quick Reply: Insurance renewal time..Looking for options..